ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #24796
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
So my wife is going out of town the weekend of the 24th. Anyone up for camping overnight Friday after riding for the day then ride for the day Saturday before coming home?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #24797
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
new tire for the DL650

New front shoe

Expected it to be a pain to mount but it was the easiest I can remember. Lubing the bead with tire shine when I mounted the old Shinko 12k miles ago made it easy to remove. I was able to pop the bead with my tire irons. Lubed the bead on the new tire the same way. No cussing involved getting it on. I didn't set it in the sun or anything to warm it. It has been in the garage since Tuesday when it arrived. Bead fully seated before it reached 30 psi of pressure. Lubing really helps.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #24798
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
New front shoe
Expected it to be a pain to mount but it was the easiest I can remember. Lubing the bead with tire shine when I mounted the old Shinko 12k miles ago made it easy to remove. I was able to pop the bead with my tire irons. Lubed the bead on the new tire the same way. No cussing involved getting it on. I didn't set it in the sun or anything to warm it. It has been in the garage since Tuesday when it arrived. Bead fully seated before it reached 30 psi of pressure. Lubing really helps.
Well that was slick! Never heard of that trick. I don't think I want to risk being that slick with tubes though.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #24799
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
So my wife is going out of town the weekend of the 24th. Anyone up for camping overnight Friday after riding for the day then ride for the day Saturday before coming home?
I take it you never work Fridays. How that heck did you pull that off? Where is the green with envy emoticon?? I can't make it, but it sounds like a good time for you to get out of town.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #24800
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Well that was slick! Never heard of that trick. I don't think I want to risk being that slick with tubes though.
I've done the same with at least one tire on the WR. Lubing tires is pretty common. I'm just too cheap/lazy to find the real tire lube stuff. I didn't have anything last time I put a tire on the WR and it was so much harder to get the bead seated.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #24801
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I've done the same with at least one tire on the WR. Lubing tires is pretty common. I'm just too cheap/lazy to find the real tire lube stuff. I didn't have anything last time I put a tire on the WR and it was so much harder to get the bead seated.
NAPA has tire lube by the gallon.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #24802
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
NAPA has tire lube by the gallon.
But I doubt I would go through a gallon in a lifetime. The tire shine stuff makes the tires on my car shiny too.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #24803
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I take it you never work Fridays. How that heck did you pull that off? Where is the green with envy emoticon?? I can't make it, but it sounds like a good time for you to get out of town.
You are correct sir. I work 8-6 Monday-Thursday. I'm in the process of getting my real estate license too though so I suspect I will be picking some Fridays up here any there. I wish some of you guys had off some Fridays. Seems like I never get to ride with anyone as people tend to ride Tuesday and Thursday throughout the week from what I've seen. Either that or early Saturday when I'm always busy. Thankfully I got out for about an hour and a half to explore today. Hadn't ridden since the end of June.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 08-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #24804
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
I wish some of you guys had off some Fridays. Seems like I never get to ride with anyone as people tend to ride Tuesday and Thursday throughout the week from what I've seen. Either that or early Saturday when I'm always busy. Thankfully I got out for about an hour and a half to explore today. Hadn't ridden since the end of June.
Catch me friday after this coming and I might can get a morning trail ride in - working evening shift then the following week = friday off.
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #24805
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
You are correct sir. I work 8-6 Monday-Thursday. I'm in the process of getting my real estate license too though so I suspect I will be picking some Fridays up here any there. I wish some of you guys had off some Fridays. Seems like I never get to ride with anyone as people tend to ride Tuesday and Thursday throughout the week from what I've seen. Either that or early Saturday when I'm always busy. Thankfully I got out for about an hour and a half to explore today. Hadn't ridden since the end of June.
I would donate a kidney if I could have three day weekends. Or I would at least have to strongly consider it.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #24806
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Three day weekends are highly overrated.

Quote:
I would donate a kidney if I could have three day weekends. Or I would at least have to strongly consider it.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #24807
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
At 1-weekend pr month / 12 weekends off pr yr. I'm jealous of you guys that get the weekends. Sometimes Shift work sux ~
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #24808
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
Catch me friday after this coming and I might can get a morning trail ride in - working evening shift then the following week = friday off.
I believe that's the friday I'll be trying to hit the mountains. I'm on a WR, so small bikes are encouraged. Although I'm not very fast on the bike so I think skilled people on big bikes will probably be faster than me still. I think my fear is the tires more than anything.

Quote:
It is nice being able to leave Thursday night and come back Sunday and not have to take off work. Because of that I rarely end up taking vacations. I don't think that's a good thing though. I never miss a day of work. MAYBE a week a year I take off which really ends up only being 4 days off. I'm also full commission, so I don't get paid to take off.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 08-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #24809
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Three day weekends are highly overrated.
Especially if involes a pay cut.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #24810
jmdavis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thanks for the tire advice everyone. I appreciate it.