ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #24916
jmdavis
Adventurer
 
jmdavis's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Richmond
Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
See it all the time:


.
At least those don't have a full on Algae bloom.
__________________
2005 Ural Patrol
2007 BMW F650GS
jmdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #24917
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
WHy do I keep feeding my bikes this poison
How long do you let your bikes sit between rides? I know my Airhead will sit, sometimes 6 months, without even draining the bowls, and she'll start right back up 1st or 2nd try.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #24918
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester
 
jgiacobbe's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Near Richmond VA
Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Nice! I can't believe all the WR250R's that are popping up for sale in the area now that I have mine. I drove all the way to New York to buy mine.

Edit: Thinking about ordering a new rear tire before the Shenandoah 500 as the D605 I have likes to slide out from under me, and I would like to run a nice pace. I'm thinking about just putting a Shinko 244 on since it's cheap and I have a 244 on the front right now that seems to do pretty well thanks to Jeremy. It has about 3500 miles on it probably but still has plenty of life left. Any reason I shouldn't go with a 244? I'm mainly looking for what's going to be good off-road, but do want to be able to tear up back roads still as well. Off-road abilities are priority though.

Also, anyone know the cheapest place to get a GPS? I probably won't be able to buy one for a while, but it sure would be nice to log the Shenandoah trip in to something so I can see how many miles I cover that weekend.
I have a half worn Kenda track,aster 2 rear I pulled off my WR when I bought it. On of the beads is a little rough but if you can mount it up, it may last you the shen 500. Otherwise it will probably go to the dump. I have a matching front too. Just don't push them on the pavement. I also might be up for a as saturday ride. For cheap GPS look at refurb units with a warranty. I think I bought my nuvi 500 refurb from gpscity.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #24919
Hack
Meet George Jetson
 
Hack's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Southern Delaware
Oddometer: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Is there a Williamsburg version of this thread? There's a Triumph Tiger on CL that I can't get the dude to respond to. Wanted to throw out a net to see if anyone knew him (her, it).
Hey Rick. Maybe some of the guys in this game can help.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573918
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #24920
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I have a half worn Kenda track,aster 2 rear I pulled off my WR when I bought it. On of the beads is a little rough but if you can mount it up, it may last you the shen 500. Otherwise it will probably go to the dump. I have a matching front too. Just don't push them on the pavement. I also might be up for a as saturday ride. For cheap GPS look at refurb units with a warranty. I think I bought my nuvi 500 refurb from gpscity.
Thanks Jeremy! I dunno if the Trackmaster will last me through the weekend depending on how worn it is. I plan on riding the bike out and back so I'm thinking I will probably put about 700 miles on it within the weekend. If it's got enough for that I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I also don't mind buying a new Shinko as they're so cheap. Hopefully I listened to Jeff enough to be able to change my tire by myself.

Are you off all of Saturday? Thinking I'll leave in the morning around 9 (I can leave earlier if people want to), hit shoe creek and everything in the area, be back before dark. I was originally going to camp, but since no one is up for it I'll just make a day trip. I can go Friday or Saturday. Have both days off with a wife out of town.

Hopefully my clutch lever will be at Honda house to replace before then. I tried teaching the wife to ride the bike on Saturday, but it was just too tall for her. She ended up laying it over from a stand still and broke the tip of my clutch lever off. Still very usable, but strains my fingers since it's only wide enough for two now.
__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #24921
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester
 
jgiacobbe's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Near Richmond VA
Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Thanks Jeremy! I dunno if the Trackmaster will last me through the weekend depending on how worn it is. I plan on riding the bike out and back so I'm thinking I will probably put about 700 miles on it within the weekend. If it's got enough for that I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I also don't mind buying a new Shinko as they're so cheap. Hopefully I listened to Jeff enough to be able to change my tire by myself.

Are you off all of Saturday? Thinking I'll leave in the morning around 9 (I can leave earlier if people want to), hit shoe creek and everything in the area, be back before dark. I was originally going to camp, but since no one is up for it I'll just make a day trip. I can go Friday or Saturday. Have both days off with a wife out of town.

Hopefully my clutch lever will be at Honda house to replace before then. I tried teaching the wife to ride the bike on Saturday, but it was just too tall for her. She ended up laying it over from a stand still and broke the tip of my clutch lever off. Still very usable, but strains my fingers since it's only wide enough for two now.
I'm good for all day Saturday. The kenda will probably last the 700 miles but that is about it. It has about that on it. Faster street though and the first third of the rear knobs were gone in one trip.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #24922
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.
 
Greenflyfarmer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Central Virginia
Oddometer: 1,747
Regarding the Flat Track race at Colonial Downs,

Anyone have an opinion on the best seating for that event. I haven't seen a flat track race since the old city stadium races in Daytona in the late 70s early 80s.

If I can talk my wife into this it looks great. So General Admission or ? I've never been to CD.

Thanks,

Karl
__________________
I ain't a going without my hog, my gun, my whisky and my Bible.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:56 AM   #24923
HalfPlate
What? Where?
 
HalfPlate's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Eastern VA
Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
Regarding the Flat Track race at Colonial Downs,

Anyone have an opinion on the best seating for that event. I haven't seen a flat track race since the old city stadium races in Daytona in the late 70s early 80s.

If I can talk my wife into this it looks great. So General Admission or ? I've never been to CD.

Thanks,

Karl
Karl,

A few of us got a table inside for Saturday. You can check with Ptownjohnny but I think its full unfortunately. The general admission should be good, the grand stand is pretty small and there are huge indoor facilities if its hot. When you get there give me a call so we can meet up.

-HP
__________________
-07 R1200GS
-07 Ruckus
5th BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2013
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #24924
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I'm good for all day Saturday. The kenda will probably last the 700 miles but that is about it. It has about that on it. Faster street though and the first third of the rear knobs were gone in one trip.
Gotcha. I will probably try and pick up a Shinko 244. Maybe a D606 if I get spendy (I doubt it though). Let me know when and where you want to meet on Saturday.
__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #24925
jdrocks
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,933
i need to have an aluminum part anodized.


anyone have a local source they could recommend for this work?
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #24926
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders
 
Dirtmonkey8's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 970
Button rider, it sounds like you need hand guards to protect your levers. If you don't put some good ones on soon and keep riding areas such as Shoe Creek you are likely to end up with a broken lever and possibly stranded. Keep your two finger clutch lever as a back up and keep it with the bike on rides. Also loosen the perches on the bars do that when a lever is hit in a drop the assembly can spin around the bars and not break. Obviously keep them tight enough to be functional and not a liability. I hope you have good skid plate as well. These parts are not real cheap but the bike needs them and not having them gets expensive quickly. And if I were you I would not throw on a D606 and then ride pavement out to the S500. They will be half worn or more by the end of the weekend. The 244 seems a better choice for you since you never haul your bike out to the mountains. My two cents.
__________________
A little dirt don't hurt.
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #24927
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Button rider, it sounds like you need hand guards to protect your levers. If you don't put some good ones on soon and keep riding areas such as Shoe Creek you are likely to end up with a broken lever and possibly stranded. Keep your two finger clutch lever as a back up and keep it with the bike on rides. Also loosen the perches on the bars do that when a lever is hit in a drop the assembly can spin around the bars and not break. Obviously keep them tight enough to be functional and not a liability. I hope you have good skid plate as well. These parts are not real cheap but the bike needs them and not having them gets expensive quickly. And if I were you I would not throw on a D606 and then ride pavement out to the S500. They will be half worn or more by the end of the weekend. The 244 seems a better choice for you since you never haul your bike out to the mountains. My two cents.
Thank you for the advice. Speaking of hand guards, I actually ordered some last night on Ebay, but it won't let me pay for them and it's pissing me off. Originally I could have possibly had them Thursday. Now earliest would maybe be Friday. I was hoping to get them on before heading out Saturday. Hopefully my new levers will be in as well.

I don't have a skid plate yet. Hopefully by October. I also need some better boots, and other mods. Little bit at a time unfortunately. I got hit with a lot this month. Radiator went on my car, battery on my wifes, registration fees DMV never send me a couple months ago, court fees for an inspection ticket in a car that wasn't mine. But, that is life.
__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #24928
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester
 
jgiacobbe's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Near Richmond VA
Oddometer: 2,015
Shoe Creek and that area without hand guards. For me that is playing Russian roulette with more than one bullet in the gun. Between knowing I'll probably fall once or twice during the day and running some of the overgrown two track where one handlebar is constantly in the weeds, the levers will take a beating. Glad you got some on order. Keep that slow pace you claim to have until you get those. Hope you ordered ones that work on a narrower bar because I think the stock bar on the WRR is 7/8. Branches hitting your hand at speed probably hurt.

For a temp solution on the skid plate, I know there are some home made options that are better than nothing and pretty cheap talked about on wr250rforum.com and on the big thread here. Also, there is mention of using a plastic skid plate for a wr250f with some modification, which is cheaper than the native wr250r options. For the other stuff just watch FM and you should be able to work out a deal on some decent used gear.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #24929
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Shoe Creek and that area without hand guards. For me that is playing Russian roulette with more than one bullet in the gun. Between knowing I'll probably fall once or twice during the day and running some of the overgrown two track where one handlebar is constantly in the weeds, the levers will take a beating. Glad you got some on order. Keep that slow pace you claim to have until you get those. Hope you ordered ones that work on a narrower bar because I think the stock bar on the WRR is 7/8. Branches hitting your hand at speed probably hurt.

For a temp solution on the skid plate, I know there are some home made options that are better than nothing and pretty cheap talked about on wr250rforum.com and on the big thread here. Also, there is mention of using a plastic skid plate for a wr250f with some modification, which is cheaper than the native wr250r options. For the other stuff just watch FM and you should be able to work out a deal on some decent used gear.
Yea, one piece at a time. Maybe I'll luck out and get my hand guards before I we leave.
__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #24930
biker128pedal
Super Lurker
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern, VA
Oddometer: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i need to have an aluminum part anodized.


anyone have a local source they could recommend for this work?
How about the place in Hayes that was in the news?

Really I know they do black Nickle plate.
__________________


Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014