ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #25006
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,947
Decided today that I don't really like riding Shoe Creek. I have trouble with the localized increase in gravity around those rocks. Nothing really hurt other than I managed to squish a thumb and jam a middle finger.

Otherwise had a great time out in the GWNF today. We also had a really good lunch at that little restaurant on Lowesville Rd.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #25007
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Decided today that I don't really like riding Shoe Creek. I have trouble with the localized increase in gravity around those rocks. Nothing really hurt other than I managed to squish a thumb and jam a middle finger.

Otherwise had a great time out in the GWNF today. We also had a really good lunch at that little restaurant on Lowesville Rd.
You made it to the end though. That's all that matters!

Great day today.

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #25008
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post

Great day today.

Nice pics. Wish I could've been there. Perfect day for riding.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #25009
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post

Great day today.

You'd better invest in a heavy duty bash plate if you're going to be riding those rocky trails.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #25010
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by draley View Post
You'd better invest in a heavy duty bash plate if you're going to be riding those rocky trails.
I know. It's on the list. Was supposed to have one for yesterday, but I hit a snag.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 08-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #25011
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Here's the one video I got from yesterday. My SD card was full since I haven't cleaned it out in forever, so I only got the first 5 minutes of Shoe Creek. It filled up right at I dropped the bike trying to go around some idiot that parked his truck right in the middle of the road.

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 08-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #25012
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Right at the big Jeep Camiping area. Always a bad traffic spot and frequently guys towing campers into that point.

Beautiful scenery ~ awesome time of year to enjoy it. It is killing me that my stuff is not running. Have my new Hyde Racing Bash Plate in hand. My new side cover + parts were aiming to ship out last Tuesday. Meanwhile I pulled the old side cover last night and epoxied it up. Still have a bad float needle and a bad petcock. Fuel diluted oil is never good.

May have run a temp in-line Lawn & Garden petcock since the cooler weather has arrived I'm itching to get back out.

Whitfield screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 01:46 PM
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #25013
DaddyGreenGenes
Delicious

Oddometer: 21
Here's the rest of the video from yesterday at Shoe Creek...
http://youtu.be/WC_A0jPIEts
http://youtu.be/cynm00B6MXQ
http://youtu.be/CkKop1PQK1Q
'12 Suzuki DRZ 400SSM
'12 Christini 300 AWD
DaddyGreenGenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #25014
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,048
Flat Track Racing

Yesterday's AMA flat track racing was awesome! I saw Chris Carr and others race at a small track in Jamaica, VA many years ago, but seeing these guys (and gals) race around the Mega Mile at 120+ mph was a sight to see! The weather was beautiful. Enjoy the pictures!

XR750 Harley rider getting ready to qualify. Note the cool left sided pipes, NO front brakes , and very tall rear tire. Listening to the different sounds of the Kawasakis, Ducatis, Hondas, Yamahas, Triumphs, Hogs and a KTM or two thrown in the mix was really neat! The were MUCH louder than expected!

I must admit that went I first got there, seeing these riders start sliding the rear tire out 100 feet past the start/finish line at 120 mph made me nervous! Most of them would slide the left foot but a few nut cases with "Huevos of Steel" would power slide all the way through the turn with both feet on the pegs and the rear tire WAYYYY out roster tailing a wave of dirt! It was madness! NOTE: These pictures were taken during practice and qualifying. During the races, especially the last two of the day, the riders would enter this turn literally a foot or two apart from one another. On the big closed circuit TV, you could see them drifting both tires, wrestling the bar as the bike danced around and a couple of times, two riders MADE CONTACT at speed while drifting! Again, it looked like it would be fun but on a XR70 and on a track small enough to fit in my yard.

These tractors circled the track several times in the morning to compact the damp dirt and smooth out any rough spots.

Awesome view just above the start/finish line from our balcony!

Rough looking group of bikers from Richmond...I kept my distance to be safe! (left to right: Chris "Manganos" and son Tanner, Steve "Cliffy 109", Andrew "Half Plate" and lovely wife Amber.) We saw a few other ADV trouble makers around the facilities. The lunch was pretty good too. BBQ pork, beans, potato salad, garden salad, mac and cheese, and a big platter of cookies, cheesecake and delicious baklava (I had to back away from the baklava or I was going to make myself sick!) We did walk around the place getting a view from of the racing right up on the fence as suggested by Guy, but it was very nice to have an air conditioned suite to escape the crowds, sun and noise for a while with the buffet and no lines.

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 07:52 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #25015
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyGreenGenes View Post
Here's the rest of the video from yesterday at Shoe Creek...
http://youtu.be/WC_A0jPIEts
http://youtu.be/cynm00B6MXQ
http://youtu.be/CkKop1PQK1Q
Nice videos. Man, I was gone once we hit 56. I love that road. You were booking it on Shoe Creek.

My favorite part was the "oh, crap did you see that?" moment at about 2:45 when I looked back at you in the third video when I almost wrecked myself.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 08-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #25016
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
My granddad worked for C.W. Pinnell (Pinnell's Harley of Richmond) and would help promote and work some of the flat track races at Strawberry hill back in the 50's 60's. My dad and uncle used to go and would work the turns, flagging the races as young kids of middle school age.

They bought a box at the Virginia Mega Mile on Friday and had a spare seat but i could not get away.

They said that one of the guys with them had a hand held radar gun and was clocking the racers at 147 on the straights. Dad said it was one of the best races he has ever been to and was super impressed with the facility. He also said that for the main event the pro's just pitched the rear out at full stride and kept it pinned and never lifting. AWESOME!!!

Dad used to work at Shayna Texter's dad's Harley shop back when she was racing on a PW-50. He said it was awesome watching her work her way from a mid pack start (no weight = No traction) to putting pressure on 1st place Cody Johncox. He said that with a few more laps she had a good shot of taking him. He then told tales of her family racing the Nationals. stretching back to the days when he was a kid at Strawberry Hill.
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:40 AM   #25017
Defaultgateway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Hubert Whitfield/Eddie Boomhower

Since we are talking about flat track racing, here is a site dedicated to just that. I worked for Eddie at Richmond H-D as a mechanic in the early 70's. My uncle was a H-D mechanic at Pinnell's H-D in the 50's. Eddie and George R. Smith (aka "fats,") always had time for a 14 year old kid trying to rebuild his first big-twin transmission, and for that I am truly grateful.
Eddie was a fabulous flat track racer and few have done more to promote motorcycle racing in Virginia.

http://racerreunion.org/2.html

Hubert Whitfield
Boomhower is the gent with a balding pate to the right of the guy with the flat top, 1966 is the intro of the "Shovel head" engine, successor to the "Pan Head".

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/de...tml?sort=3&o=0

Defaultgateway screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 02:05 AM
Defaultgateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:51 AM   #25018
RockinTheRVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Sorry for the false alarm Richmond dirt biking folks, not actually selling my WR250R. Ended up finding a buyer for the SV650 and was able to keep the dirt bike. Exciting!

Shoe Creek looked like fun...challenging as well! Enjoyed watching the videos you posted, gives a good idea of what's out there.
RockinTheRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #25019
jmdavis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I remember the races that they used to hold at the Chesterfield Fairgrounds on the 1/4 mile track back in the 70's. But I never new that they were at the Virginia Fairgrounds.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #25020
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,655
I also made my way to the races on Saturday. VERY impressed with the facility, and also the amount of people out there! Hopefully this event catches on and gets this area to wake up to the fact that there's other racing out there besides NASCAR.

Anyway, I managed to snap a few shots as well. Nothing fantastic, since it was hard to find a good vantage point, but I did my best. Also plan on working a few of these over this week enough to get something showable.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote