ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #25036
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
So my brand new Klim pants ripped on my first day out in the woods with zero falls. Pretty bummed about that. I sent customer service an email. I'm hoping they will hook me up in some way.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #25037
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
So my brand new Klim pants ripped on my first day out in the woods with zero falls. Pretty bummed about that. I sent customer service an email. I'm hoping they will hook me up in some way.
They will probably have you send them to them for repair under warranty. You might just have to pay to get them there. Did they get caught on a peg or what?
Old 08-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #25038
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
That's it, don't know if I should be sharing a camp site with a dude with no pants. Of course, with the price of some KLIM gear I would expect them to dispatch a team of seamstresses to your location for immediate repair. Hot, blonde, Swedish seamstresses......

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 650/719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #25039
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
They will probably have you send them to them for repair under warranty. You might just have to pay to get them there. Did they get caught on a peg or what?
Didn't catch anything. It was on the back side of me. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACommuter View Post
That's it, don't know if I should be sharing a camp site with a dude with no pants. Of course, with the price of some KLIM gear I would expect them to dispatch a team of seamstresses to your location for immediate repair. Hot, blonde, Swedish seamstresses......

VAC
Right?!?

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #25040
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
No confusion actually. I had taken some guys down that road and we were talking with Andrew about it and he said he had seen it but the signs kept him out. He said he wanted to check it out some time and i was wondering if he ever had taken the road. Before they built the golf course it went from rt 629 (Carriage Rd) to 155. It now terminates near the club house where you entered. Before, you could cross 155 (Courthouse rd, I think) and it was more sand and mud, crossing a swamp and connecting to another paved road. The road with the bridge no longer exists. My grandfather lived at the corner where this other road was. He had trails in the woods and we would drive his cub cadet pulling a rusty old trailer through the trails and down that road. The road you took used to be a rootin' destination for 4x4's and it always stayed badly rutted and my great uncle would take the road in his old model-T and he would put the wheels in the ruts and it would steer itself most of the length of the road unassisted. The road was a Civilian Corps of Engineers project during the depression to provide jobs and create access to fight fires. I grew up in the house where you exited the sandy road. There used to be other unpaved roads that would take you to Lanexa/Jackass Flats or near the West Point exit of I64, but those were paved around 2008. They are still accessible from the same complex just past where you turned right onto gravel to the golf course, but they have a sign saying horses only which I ignore.
Ah. Got it. Fun stuff and it is clear that the locals are trying hard to keep the 4 wheelers out. There were more than a dozen remnants of "caution" tape that at one time had been stretched across the road. It looked like a jeep had blissfully ignored that and crashed through them all, leaving me with a clear path.
cliffy109 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #25041
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defaultgateway View Post
Since we are talking about flat track racing, here is a site dedicated to just that. I worked for Eddie at Richmond H-D as a mechanic in the early 70's. My uncle was a H-D mechanic at Pinnell's H-D in the 50's. Eddie and George R. Smith (aka "fats,") always had time for a 14 year old kid trying to rebuild his first big-twin transmission, and for that I am truly grateful.
Eddie was a fabulous flat track racer and few have done more to promote motorcycle racing in Virginia.

http://racerreunion.org/2.html

Hubert Whitfield
Boomhower is the gent with a balding pate to the right of the guy with the flat top, 1966 is the intro of the "Shovel head" engine, successor to the "Pan Head".

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/de...tml?sort=3&o=0

Default Gateway,
It sounds like you had the experience of growing up in the golden age of Richmond racing ~ NICE! I think I was about 10-15 yrs too late.

That Eddie Boomhower is a class guy all the way. I never got to know him ~ but I have grown up listening to the stories of him. Granddad called him last Friday, turns out his wife is in poor health ~ so most of Eddie's days are now spent taking care of her. Eddie told him of how they guys putting on this race called him for advice on how to run it. Eddie had a scrap book with many details from the last event at Colonial Downs and they used his book s and notes to help set up this race.

Was your uncle George? In the early 50's I believe my Granddad was still at Pinnell's on Broad.

I need to find some 1970's Harley SX 250 engine parts. Threw a rod through the case (now pointing at the carb) on a 1976 Prototype MX 250 ~ I was too young to know any better. Everyone in my family keeps telling me Boomhower should have the parts or if not he should know who does. Anyway ~ it's a back burner project and been sitting 25 yrs.
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #25042
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,932
Quote:
Didn't catch anything. It was on the back side of me. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Right?!?
We didn't see how he tore them, just be grateful he took the picture when he wasn't wearing them. That seem was getting towards the rear of the pants. I only saw him fall once and it was only because I fell and it was contagious. Good luck with the pants. They didn't really impress me as being different from all the other mesh riding pants out there. I will say I think I successfully tested every piece of protective gear I had on Saturday. As it stands I just have a couple joints in my hands that have any soreness left. Just the ADV salute finger on my left hand and the pinky on my right. None of it is impacting my ability to do anything.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #25043
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,687
Quote:

Right?!?

If it was product failure they will most likely replace and not even charge you shipping... Klim is a#1 in customer service.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #25044
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
If it was product failure they will most likely replace and not even charge you shipping... Klim is a#1 in customer service.
That's what I'm hoping. Definitely a product failure. Never once fell down. Only dropped the bike and stepped off.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 08-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #25045
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,631
Any of you DRZ guys interested in a blue Clarke 3.9 tank?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914600

Am heading through Richmond Sat, will take 170 locally. Two caps, one billet, included.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #25046
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
S-500 dreaming ...

Playing with Google Maps tonight, placing waypoints on the spots from various GWNF threads and getting the itch to go see them.

I've been riding a dirt bike 30 yrs and never been much further then my own back yard (Something about that whole Tag / Insurance thing) .

Unfortunately a few key Husky parts did not make it into the dealers shipment. Hate to break out lawnmower parts and JB weld but I'm getting tired of waiting.

Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:05 AM   #25047
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,890
Free camping near Franklin

I've thrown this out before, and will keep doing it. If anyone is out riding this weekend you have a free camping spot at our place about 8 miles SW of Franklin, WV. We are between 33 and 250. 9 miles from Reddish Knob. Spruce Knob, Laurel Fork, Seneca, Smoke Hole, are all within an hour. We have forest service roads, and dirt roads all around us. I can even show you some of the roads they'll run the S500 on, including the 3 water crossings.

We'll be there starting Friday afternoon. I won't have a plated bike, so I won't be able to ride with you, but you are welcome to stay in our camping area if you want to. PM me if you need directions.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #25048
DirtViking
SKOL!

Oddometer: 365
Virginia Mega Mile

*Originally posted on HR Chatter. Think more of you Richmond area guys made it, then our fellas.

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys at this years Shen500.

Cheers,

Jon

Great pics Mike. You caught my head in the last photo (lower left, blue hat, blue shirt)

Had a good time at this race. My first time at a dirt track race. These guys (and girls) were flying. Average lap for the singles (crf, yz's, etc.) was just under 100 mph. They were going into turn 1 at 125 mph! The twins (Harley, triumph, ducati) were a touch faster with an average over 100 mph around the entire track.

If your heartbeat didn't get pumping listening and watching this race, then I'm sorry, you don't have one.

My kids loved it. The pit area was completely open to the public with access to all the bikes and all the racers. They all signed autographs. The most popular riders were the 2 girls and then the top point riders in each class.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Jon
1970 Triumph Bonneville
DirtViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #25049
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
After all the Klim this and Klim that I keep hearing.. and they split a seam just out of the blue? For what they charge I sure hope they make good on them.. Keep us posted, I'm interested in hearing what happens.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #25050
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
After all the Klim this and Klim that I keep hearing.. and they split a seam just out of the blue? For what they charge I sure hope they make good on them.. Keep us posted, I'm interested in hearing what happens.
Will do. As of now I haven't heard back. Website said expect a response in less than 24 hours. We are past that at this point.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)