ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #25636
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Hmmm, a KLR650 followed me home today and parked itself in my garage. Nice orange-ish 2011. Thumpa-thumpa-thumpa... ;-)
Congrats. I love my 2009 that I bought new in 2011. I don't think there is a better bike for the money. Don't believe all the hype about doohickeys and oil burning, etc.

Main things to keep her running like a top is; change the oil often (I use Rotella T-6) and use blue Locktite on every bolt you ever work on, and don't over-tighten them.

I changed my oil at real small intervals early on, then kept increasing them until now I change every 2k miles. I see no evidence of oil usage.

I worried about the doohickey because there was so much fatalism about it, and I ride mine pretty hard...almost all non-slab. But when I changed it (at ~9500 miles) it was absolutely fine and the spring still had tension. So it was a non-problem all along. I would suggest that you don't have to even think about it until 10k or so.

For your first farkles, I would recommend the "Happy Trails" combination; shroud guards, footpegs and skidplate. Secondly, I got the tall OEM windshield and it made a big difference in comfort.

You can spend as much as you want on performance extras, but it will never be a race bike and it runs just fine as is.

And oh yeah, the inmates want pics!
Old 10-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #25637
klim86
veteran

Oddometer: 160
It was a great time! Although the they made changes to the route due to the government shut down the original roll charts were available through the grapevine. Some pretty gnarly stuff too, Ill be the first to admit, I ate it pretty hard. Good thing my group had a few first aid kits to put humpty dumpty back together enough to get to camp. Once there Doc Alvarez was able patch me up properly (I def owe him a few beers). It didn't slow me down for Sunday though. Im sure eddy will up load the photos once he gets back home. I cant wait to see them.

great time overall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Can't wait until some people get back and start posting up S500 details.
through the grapevine Original roll charts were still available
Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)

klim86 screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 07:08 AM
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #25638
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Hmmm, a KLR650 followed me home today and parked itself in my garage. Nice orange-ish 2011. Thumpa-thumpa-thumpa... ;-)
Have to work up an RTE soon to show it off..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #25639
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
And here's Gonzo. Was playing with bags and seat covers last night before bed. Not sure what's going to stick from the leftover box. Need to unlimber my credit card this morning. The farkle list is long ...

"I’m lost. I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #25640
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
Rick,
That is beautiful! I think I should have maybe bought one of these instead of my Vstrom. Congrats!
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #25641
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Gonzo

Congrats Rick, looks nice!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #25642
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Need to unlimber my credit card this morning. The farkle list is long ...
Not to tell you how to spend your money or anything but you could try riding it like it is first.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #25643
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
And here's Gonzo. Was playing with bags and seat covers last night before bed. Not sure what's going to stick from the leftover box. Need to unlimber my credit card this morning. The farkle list is long ...

Make sure REAL hand guards are near the top of the list. That is a nice rack!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #25644
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
My five year old daughter enjoyed her first ride on the motorcycle today. She was quite excited.

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #25645
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Rick,
That is beautiful! I think I should have maybe bought one of these instead of my Vstrom. Congrats!
You'd need another shed, the DR would just knock it over and take it's lunch money, etc.

Nice Rick, I couldn't picture "orange" but it looks good. So is it going to see some mild offroad action? cuz if so you're definitely gonna need some tires!
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #25646
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Behind Martins

It was the driest I have ever seen behind Martins yesterday, however I still found a way to play in the mud. This specific place was a surprise as it was quite deeper than I expected :)

Untitled

muddy.

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #25647
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
My five year old daughter enjoyed her first ride on the motorcycle today. She was quite excited.

Nice Graham!! I remember doing the same with my boys when they were younger, 5 and 7. I would put one in front of me and one behind and do the "nickel/dime" ride to the "Burg". Those were great times... they're 15 and 17 now. Miss those days.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #25648
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
It was the driest I have ever seen behind Martins yesterday, however I still found a way to play in the mud. This specific place was a surprise as it was quite deeper than I expected :)

Untitled

muddy.
Woah! I hate getting myself into those situations when I am alone. My wife also isn't thrilled when she sees the mud I bring home with me.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #25649
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Scheduled an afternoon test ride of the 700gs so as to get the miles in on my feet in the morning. Was my first real ride of the year, and no problems with the elbow. Hope you guys had fun -- and we are overdue for getting together!
Hello BrendaP. I met you at Mortons and didn't realize you were part of the Richmond ADVrider group. I'm the guy that had you sit on the low suspension 1200 in the showroom. I talked to Jeff Massey about your quest for a bike and he agrees that some saddle time on the 700 and 1200 in a setting that isn't an Octoberfest group ride would help a lot. Just let them know when you have some time to shake them both out.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #25650
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
2013 s-500

AMAZING!!!

My Saturday ride was 9hrs 30 min / 160+ Miles of 90% dirt.
Riding the A loop counter clockwise to end up at the road to Reddish knob made a right for a mile or two then another right onto more dirt + Lunch + Rough Run + Vepco Rd.

Rough Run earned it's name...

I caught a large rock just as I fully compressed the rear suspension @ full bogie on the back side of a water break jump. I'm not exactly sure the method of failure but the rim side of the tube looked herniated and had a visual Silly putty type imprint of the rim. That was a Moose HD tube. I'm Just glad the rim & tire survived.

I mixed it up with these guys all day long.

This was my first S-500 and my first real ride.

Concerns for missing out on all the good stuff were short lived. We found through the grapevine you could score a copy of the original route. The national forest was open and all trails were legal to ride. The event issue came down to a CANCELED special use permit. With a canceled permit they could not run the event through the National Forest. But as was noted in the Sunday morning riders meeting / Most everyone got to do the ride they wanted.
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote