ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #25741
klim86
veteran

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Chester-Dakar or the Mud Road on the little bikes?
Normally I would say hell yeah but I am out in Suffolk this weekend for a wedding... good new is open bar!
Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #25742
Roald
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Martin's tomorrow am

I'll be riding behind Martins (TG) tomorrow late morning, rain or shine. (Probably will be rain) Stop by, say hello, settle petty grievances, get a little muddy, whatever.
Roald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #25743
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 798
When's the last time you wheelied your wife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
You mean like a DRZ400 or a KTM 525? I don't know, those real off road bikes are too scary for me! Despite my recent frustration, the F800GS really is a great bike. The problem is that all big dual sport bikes are like women, you need to spend a lot of money and time on them making them happy or they will complain. Me and most of the guys I ride with are much harder on our 800's/1200's than the majority of GS owners out there. It's a compromise.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #25744
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
When's the last time you wheelied your wife?
You should have slipped the term "get off" in there some where.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #25745
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defaultgateway View Post
TKC's are decent compromise on/off road tires, but on the front the sidewalls are very soft, so when running tkc's with less than 32 lbs/in^2 + heavy bikes and rocks are a possibility puts the front rim in peril.
Thanks for posting that up. That is very good info to spread around. I have been thinking of putting a TKC on the front of the XC. If I do I will make sure to not let the psi drop.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #25746
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
I can't get out to TG today as I've got stuff going on at home this morning but I was hoping to get out to Chester tomorrow morning if I can get away with it. If so I'll confirm up here and maybe someone can join me. I heard whitfield had a whooooole bunch of mofos out there the other week. Are there pictures from that ride in here somewhere?

I've still been having a lot of fun out there with Dirtmonkey here and there. I expect a lot of you will be working tomorrow though.

bastardbiker screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 04:43 PM
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #25747
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Still have the boots ~ no holds. Come and get them!!!

Curb side pick up ~ Trash comes on Wednesday.

Pm me for address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
Thor T-30 MX boots Size 13 Free to a good home... Almost embarrassed to list them but Just can't bear to throw them away..

Sole is cracking / missing a chunk

With a resole these boots would be very nice with minimal wear / they still clean up nice.

Bastard biker ~ Watch out for the Hunters,the locals in town are an intense bunch...

Whitfield screwed with this post 10-13-2013 at 12:07 PM
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #25748
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 855
Riding Today

Street Riders....
The new front suspension and steering head bearings are in the GL1800 and ready to be tested. The wife and I are thinking about heading west around 10am (flexible) for a "spirited" ride (until the wife starts jabbing me) with lunch at the Blue Mountain Brewery on Hwy 151 at hwy 250.

Would love to have some company if anyone is interested.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #25749
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Street Riders....
The new front suspension and steering head bearings are in the GL1800 and ready to be tested. The wife and I are thinking about heading west around 10am (flexible) for a "spirited" ride (until the wife starts jabbing me) with lunch at the Blue Mountain Brewery on Hwy 151 at hwy 250.

Would love to have some company if anyone is interested.
Wish I wasn't working.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #25750
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Wish I wasn't working.
You and me both, brother.

"I’m lost. I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #25751
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 855
riding Today

Sorry guys...
The wife works for a bank. One of those bank holidays. Lucky her.

Its just a half day of riding..... just saying. Love to ride with you.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #25752
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Ride tonight?

I have not been able to catch up with the wife yet, but I am going to see if I can get away for a ride this evening. If anyone is interested in riding tonight Post Up! The sun is shining!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #25753
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 194
Leaking Aerostich Roadcrafter

After a couple of commutes in the rain last week and getting home with a wet chest I decided it was time to seal the zippers on the Roadcrafter. I have the seam sealer but IAW the Aerostich directions I should thin it out with Cotol or Toulene. I found a 5 gallon bucket of the Toulene but that seemed like a bit much since I need a couple of ozs.

Anybody know where I can get a smaller qty or have a personal stash and are willing to sell a little?

Thanks,

Craig
Old 10-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #25754
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Poor Man's S500 25-27 Oct

TIme to update the RSVP list for the Poor Man's S500 in two weekends. Please post up to confirm you are coming. RimBenty, Whitfield and I are doing a small recon tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post

Some can't make the S500, or can't afford it. Or like me, are too cheap to pay for it since I live in that area most of the time. So I proposed a Richmond ADV riders weekend in Pendleton County at my family's place, where all can camp Friday, and then recreate the S500 over the weekend with riders who have the roll charts/digital tracks. Ride about 160 miles Saturday, camp Sat night at my place, ride 160 miles Sunday, then head home.

I have lots of land, spring water, indoor toilets, two grills, a big honking fire pit and lots of wood. If everyone pitches in with donations for food, I could have some type of breakfast each morning, coffee, eggs, etc. And then have the kitchen open for dinner. The grills would be available for all to burn meat.

Trust me, the night sky there is un-freaking believable. It is the perfect dark sky location. Some have volunteered to lead the rides on each day, so we can break down into small groups to ride.

This should all be big bike friendly, and most could do it on Tourance tires. Don't believe there is any single track, but there are numerous water crossings. If it does rain, I would at least put a big knobby on the front. I'll probably ride my elephant of the R1150GS.

This is a free "camping" weekend, but since my wife is starting a rustic B&B at the farm, she actually said I could rent out some of the rooms inside. We also have a nice camping cabin on the Farm that has three beds in it, spring water, and solar lights. (The outhouse is out the back.) That is available too. You can PM me for details.

The date is set for 25-27 October. Please update me and confirm you are still coming! Or add to the list if you want to still come!

25-27 Oct
Rimbenty
Jeff Munn
Dirtmonkey8 and Jeff(XR650L)
Eddy Alvarez
pplassm
burtonrider3889
Halfplate
ddlewis (tentatively)
Madstrom
dsinger562 (tentatively)
btblueskies