ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 04:56 AM   #25861
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,913
Registration for Po Folks S500 is now closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Okay, so here it is, so far:

Rimbenty
Jeff Munn
Dirtmonkey8 and Jeff(XR650L)
Eddy Alvarez
pplassm
burtonrider3889
Halfplate
ddlewis (tentatively)
Madstrom
dsinger562 (tentatively)
btblueskies and wingman
deerslayR from Jersey
and two inmates from C'ville

jeff
As of right now, I'm about maxed out for our weekend. Total is now 16 riders, and two ladies. I'm sorry, but I can't cook for many more than that, and will need some help in the mornings with breakfast as it is.

I'll be expecting the first arrivals sometime Friday afternoon. If you want to come earlier than that, please let me know. For planning purposes, it is supposed to be clear until Sunday. Highs in the 50's, but low Fri night 32F and dropping to mid 20's Saturday night. If you're sleeping outside you better bring your Dr. Dentons.

I'm very pumped and think this could become an annual thing. I've got a special surprise for everyone Saturday night. I love captive audiences.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 05:06 AM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #25862
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 660
So on this morning's "11-mile" run, we did 12.01 miles. Cheeky coaches! I clocked 2 hrs 3 mins.

Now to load up on Czech and Slovak food at the festival in Prince George (Sandman, see you there) ahead of a midnight hike (cuz 12 miles wasn't enough... ). In case anyone else wants to check the festival out, I'll add a link w more details in a bit, but IIRC food is 11:30a to 4p or some such thing.

Edit: linky.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn

MotoMujer screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 07:33 AM
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #25863
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
As of right now, I'm about maxed out for our weekend. Total is now 16 riders, and two ladies. I'm sorry, but I can't cook for many more than that, and will need some help in the mornings with breakfast as it is.

I'll be expecting the first arrivals sometime Friday afternoon. If you want to come earlier than that, please let me know. For planning purposes, it is supposed to be clear until Sunday. Highs in the 50's, but low Fri night 32F and dropping to mid 20's Saturday night. If you're sleeping outside you better bring your Dr. Dentons.

I'm very pumped and think this could become an annual thing. I've got a special surprise for everyone Saturday night. I love captive audiences.

jeff
I'll be happy to help with breakfast in the morning however I can. It's going to be a cold one! I'll be putting my 30 degree bag to the test this weekend. I am at a sever lack of cold riding gear, but hopefully since it's mostly offroad it won't be too bad. I'll be putting long johns on under the mesh pants. I cannot wait.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #25864
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
I'll be happy to help with breakfast in the morning however I can. It's going to be a cold one! I'll be putting my 30 degree bag to the test this weekend. I am at a sever lack of cold riding gear, but hopefully since it's mostly offroad it won't be too bad. I'll be putting long johns on under the mesh pants. I cannot wait.
Just some friendly advice from an "Old Fart" who has "been there done that". Cold weather riding/camping is a whole other animal than summer riding/camping. It can be a lot of fun if you are prepared for it. You are going to freeze your ... off in mesh. You need to wear something that at least breaks the wind and some heavy weight fleece bottoms and tops to cut the wind chill factor.

Most bag ratings are a "survival" rating, not a comfort rating. Some higher end bags have an "EN" rating which is close to a comfort rating. You need to wear some fleece in the bag with a pair of heavy socks and a skull cap. You need to at least have an insulating pad (Therma Rest) between the bag and the ground to cut down on the ground transferring cold through the bag i.e. "heat loss". I have an old one you can borrow. I have seen guys huddled around the fire all night because they knew they weren't prepared and would freeze in their tent. Nights can be really long shivering in a bag waiting for the sun to come up.

MADSTROM screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 04:01 PM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #25865
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Rain gear over the top of mesh is way better than longjohns underneath. But I do both sometimes.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #25866
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:

jeff
Please do make it an annual thing. I'm so bummed about missing this. I feel like a sick kid stuck inside while all his friends are out having fun.

Quote:
Warm gloves make a huge difference. Jeff's raingear suggestion is spot on, or a good windbreaker. Too much bulk underneath is restrictive and might make you sweat which is the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
Just some friendly advice from an "Old Fart" who has "been there done that". Cold weather riding/camping is a whole other animal than summer riding/camping. It can be a lot of fun if you are prepared for it. You are going to freeze your ... off in mesh. You need to wear something that at least breaks the wind and some heavy weight fleece bottoms and tops to cut the wind chill factor.

Most bag ratings are a "survival" rating, not a comfort rating. Some higher end bags have an "EN" rating which is close to a comfort rating. You need to wear some fleece in the bag with a pair of heavy socks and a skull cap. You need to at least have an insulating pad (Therma Rest) between the bag and the ground to cut down on the ground transferring cold through the bag i.e. "heat loss". I have an old one you can borrow. I have seen guys huddled aroung the fire all night because they knew they weren't prepared and would freeze in their tent. Nights can be really long shivering in a bag waiting for the sun to come up.
I've found that an extra blanket over (or around) the sleeping bag beats bulking up inside, but wearing a hat is most important. When I'm cold weather camping, I keep the next days clothes inside my sleeping bag with me so they're warm before I put them on in the morning. I also make sure to have an empty wide mouth 32 oz. bottle in the tent with me in case I have to "talk to a man about a horse" in the middle of the night!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #25867
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,651
Hey Richmond thought I'd show you Crown King today....decent 300+ mile ride today....ya, it was dusty but that is 'par for the course' out here ....
rocks, ya we got rocks, lots of 'em...sand wash you ask...sure, I HATE those...no practice back east ...its fall so with temps @85* its time to ride
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #25868
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 891
Cold weather riding

Quote:
MADSTROM
Just some friendly advice from an "Old Fart" who has "been there done that".
Thats good advice from the "Old Fart" and others. I've seen Madstrom camp down into the teens at night. I learned a lot about cold weather and motorcycle camping from him. I can't keep up with him however, he upgrades camping gear like Eddy upgrades motorcycles. +1 on the skull cap. You can have the best sleeping bag in the world but if your head is exposed your going to get cold. Walmart sells a very inexpensive rain pant and/or jacket that works very well over your riding gear. They also sell those metal looking emergency blankets that are supposed to hold in the heat. Its small, light weight and could come in handy if you get really cold.

I have street tires on the GS this week. If anyone would like to get out and get a spirited pavement ride in let me know. Im open for any direction today.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #25869
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Thats good advice from the "Old Fart" and others. I've seen Madstrom camp down into the teens at night. I learned a lot about cold weather and motorcycle camping from him. I can't keep up with him however, he upgrades camping gear like Eddy upgrades motorcycles. +1 on the skull cap. You can have the best sleeping bag in the world but if your head is exposed your going to get cold. Walmart sells a very inexpensive rain pant and/or jacket that works very well over your riding gear. They also sell those metal looking emergency blankets that are supposed to hold in the heat. Its small, light weight and could come in handy if you get really cold.

I have street tires on the GS this week. If anyone would like to get out and get a spirited pavement ride in let me know. Im open for any direction today.
RBMWR rides somewhere west out to a winery today. Any guest is welcome. Meet at Babe's at 9:30 in Carytown then ride. It will most likely NOT be spirited though!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #25870
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post

What did you do with the K-60 tires? Or are those your "street tires"?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #25871
MotoMujer
Adventurette

50F predicted; 25F actual

Quote:
Most bag ratings are a "survival" rating, not a comfort rating. Some higher end bags have an "EN" rating which is close to a comfort rating. You need to wear some fleece in the bag with a pair of heavy socks and a skull cap. You need to at least have an insulating pad (Therma Rest) between the bag and the ground to cut down on the ground transferring cold through the bag i.e. "heat loss". I have an old one you can borrow. I have seen guys huddled aroung the fire all night because they knew they weren't prepared and would freeze in their tent. Nights can be really long shivering in a bag waiting for the sun to come up.
So last night I went on a full moon circuit hike involving the AT and pitching tent by moonlight at 1am. The hike leader sent out info that the overnight temps would be low 50s -- info that I never bothered to confirm, but since I didn't face space constraints (I took the car), I packed everything I'd need for 50-degree temps and then some.

My initial setup: tent + Big Agnus insulating pad (did its job!!) + 15-degree (?) bag by Big Agnus (hm... great for shoulder season camping, but I really need to get an arctic-rated bag for sub-30F) + skull cap + wool socks + Smart Wool top/leggings. An hour later I was seriously cold so at some point I finally motivated to put the hiking boots back on and venture out into the screaming cold wind to climb the hill and get my fleece bag liner + fleece jacket out of the car. Between those add-ons and getting my body temp back up via the mini hike, I was sufficiently comfortable that I could fall asleep. What I wish I had: my down jacket as an additional layer, warmer leggings, and maybe a 2nd layer of wool socks (does double-layering socks work?).

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
Old 10-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #25872
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,736
Nice warm and sunny in the East. Mud road was wet. djocky went with me. I road the XR250L. DOT Knobby tires are great. Much less squirming around than the Wee.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #25873
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
IMHO you are on the right track.

When it’s really cold here’s what I am carrying as basic gear:
Exped DownMat 9 LW with R8 insulation value
http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf

Byers Tri-Lite Cot which cradlesthe Exped which provides another 2-3 inches of cushioning, and keeps me from rollin/sliding of the mat during the night. Some mornings I have awakened in the same position in which I fell asleep.

https://www.byerofmaine.com/products...ilite-cot.html

http://vimeo.com/20036159

Marmot Never Summer Zero degree Down Sleeping bag. Has 2 adjustable collars. One for around the shoulders and one for around the head.
http://marmot.com/products/never_summer

Marmot Hideway 4 Tent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfkC6wjEphY
Or
Limelight 3p Tent
http://marmot.com/products/limelight_3p

Depending on temperatures a combination of the following clothes
Base layer tops and bottoms
Heavy weight polar fleece tops and bottoms
Columbia down sweater vest
Russian trappers hat with ear flaps snap can snap under the chin if needed. That way it won’t come off in the middle of the night.
Smart Wool socks sometimes more than one pair when in the bag.

MADSTROM screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 02:35 PM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #25874
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Quote:
IMHO you are on the right track.

When it’s really cold here’s what I am carrying as basic gear:
Notes taken. Thanks!!

Edit: I should add... the full moon hike was SWEET. Otherworldly, highly recommended. Headlamps with a red bulb come in handy during those bits when you want a bit more light than the moon to preserve ankles/knees but you don't want to put a search light on the path. That said, the potential for injury is probably higher than during the light of day -- e.g., one gentleman nearly threw his momentum onto the gravity express when he misjudged the trail's path.

MotoMujer screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 11:44 AM
Old 10-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #25875
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
So last night I went on a full moon circuit hike involving the AT and pitching tent by moonlight at 1am. The hike leader sent out info that the overnight temps would be low 50s -- info that I never bothered to confirm, but since I didn't face space constraints (I took the car), I packed everything I'd need for 50-degree temps and then some.

My initial setup: tent + Big Agnus insulating pad (did its job!!) + 15-degree (?) bag by Big Agnus (hm... great for shoulder season camping, but I really need to get an arctic-rated bag for sub-30F) + skull cap + wool socks + Smart Wool top/leggings. An hour later I was seriously cold so at some point I finally motivated to put the hiking boots back on and venture out into the screaming cold wind to climb the hill and get my fleece bag liner + fleece jacket out of the car. Between those add-ons and getting my body temp back up via the mini hike, I was sufficiently comfortable that I could fall asleep. What I wish I had: my down jacket as an additional layer, warmer leggings, and maybe a 2nd layer of wool socks (does double-layering socks work?).

Did you guys do the Hotel to Cole Mountain loop and camp in Hog Camp Gap?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote