ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #26326
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
You are correct BP, Honda Hurricane CBR 600 F.

Happy Birthday tomorrow and good luck with the half marathon.
I sure know how to celebrate them… one year jump out of an airplane, the next attempt my first 13.1 on a pissed off tendon. I'm going to bet in hindsight the jump was the easier of the two. In any case, thank you for the wishes.

@ Eddy, doubter! There were witnesses. Just don't ask me to find them all these years later.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #26327
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
http://www.tidewaterreview.com/news/...,5538181.story

Be careful guys, and respect what our guns can do.
Last week I found a bullet embedded in a roof. It had obviously been fired up in the air, but at enough of an angle to maintain it's spin and travel true. It was about 1'' into solid double thickness shingles so I doubt it could have killed anyone, but it would have definitely caused an injury.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #26328
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
...next attempt my first 13.1 on a pissed off tendon. I'm going to bet in hindsight the jump was the easier of the two. l
I agree... I know everyone has opinions on this. My advice is get an ace bandage and wrap tight. Make sure you can adjust as needed like Velcro closure and helps with the sweat loosening. When my Achilles acts up... the wrap dulls the sharp pain so I can push through.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #26329
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
So the real question, though I'm afraid to get the answer "Is there a cheaper option for a bike lift, than Harbor Freight?"

So last night was in the garage cleaning up. Put the Wee back on its center stand and then let go of the bike. I must of done it with a bit too much enthusiasm though. As I let go I watched the bike bounce back forward off the center stand. Amazingly it balanced just long enough for me to reach out and grab it to keep it from falling over. It was still pretty much perfectly upright so it didn't take much to steady it. In that instant of watching it bounce forward, I was sure it was going over.

Any one going for a day ride this weekend? When is Poes? I can never remember.
Poe's is the second Sunday of the month.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #26330
klim86
veteran

Oddometer: 165
'06 XR650L Tank & Fender

Im looking to give away the stock tank and fenders for my XRL if anyone is interested. Free to a good home.
Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #26331
MotoMujer
Adventurette

!

WOO! The official results are in. My goal was to complete my first half marathon in less than 2.5 hours. Despite an unhappy ankle that forced me to significantly cut back on training, I got it done in 2 hours and 18 minutes. Now to heal up / strengthen up so I can run a full marathon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA_PILOT View Post
I agree... I know everyone has opinions on this. My advice is get an ace bandage and wrap tight. Make sure you can adjust as needed like Velcro closure and helps with the sweat loosening. When my Achilles acts up... the wrap dulls the sharp pain so I can push through.
Thanks for the tip. I was sort of superstitious regarding not trying anything that I hadn't done in training, so I just sucked it up.

This guy….

I didn't catch up to him til….

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn

MotoMujer screwed with this post 11-16-2013 at 03:14 PM
Old 11-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #26332
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,011
Red Bull Signature Series Erzbergrodeo Hare Scramble

For all you gnalry dirt dudes out there, be sure to set your DVRs for next Saturday 2:30 to 3:30 on ESPN. They are showing the Red Bull Erzbergrodeo "Hare Scramble", called the toughest one day motorcycle race in the world.

"Video deleted for violation of annoyance rules"

You can find it online as well, but it seriously looks insane. So watch it or record it. Then we can try to replicate in Halfplate's backyard.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 12:29 PM
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #26333
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,270
Quote:
I got it done in 2 hours and 18 minutes.
OUTSTANDNG Brenda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
the Red Bull Erzbergrodeo "Hare Scramble", called the toughest one day motorcycle race in the world.
jeff
That's crazy! Gabriel heard the buzz of the two strokes and came running...we had to watch it three times, lol. Yesterday was "Career Day" at my kids school. My daughter went well dressed with her hair up. She was "the future first female governor of VA." Gabriel went in all of his riding gear and told his teacher and classmates that he is going to be the Red Bull X Games Champion. I had to laugh out loud! The kid's got heart!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 11-16-2013 at 07:10 PM
Eddy Alvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #26334
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,070
Quote:
WOO! The official results are in. Thanks for the tip. I was sort of superstitious regarding not trying anything that I hadn't done in training, so I just sucked it up.
Congrats, my training tip along with the wrap is you only need to train for 17 miles... The adrenalin will get you the rest of the way. Hope that help.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #26335
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
For all you gnalry dirt dudes out there, be sure to set your DVRs for next Saturday 2:30 to 3:30 on ESPN. They are showing the Red Bull Erzbergrodeo "Hare Scramble", called the toughest one day motorcycle race in the world.jeff
I love watching that insanity....much less extreme, we rode Montana Mountain today....super fun, cool temps, fog, awesome
I was the only big bike because I haven't learned yet

Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #26336
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,541
Kurt Caselli died yesterday racing the Baja 1000. On of the best is gone.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #26337
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
OUTSTANDNG Brenda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA_PILOT View Post
Congrats, my training tip along with the wrap is you only need to train for 17 miles... The adrenalin will get you the rest of the way. Hope that help.
Thanks. So much great inspiration along the journey. The gentleman carrying the flag the whole way (I applauded him for his efforts) was among so many who overcame who knows what battles thanks to a simple but powerful commitment to get it done. An incredible show of spirit and humanity.

@ Eddie, great goals those kiddos have! May they go get it!!!

Old 11-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #26338
Jeff Munn

A legend is gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Kurt Caselli died yesterday racing the Baja 1000. On of the best is gone.
Pete, I saw that today as well. So sad. But the realities of racing at that level is a requirement to suspend the belief that you could die. No normal, sane, person could race at the speeds necessary to win, without risking all. I could never ride at one tenth the speeds they achieve routinely. RIP Mr. Caselli.

jeff

Old 11-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #26339
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 12,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
I love watching that insanity....much less extreme, we rode Montana Mountain today....super fun, cool temps, fog, awesome
I was the only big bike because I haven't learned yet
Good on ya Mike...............Montana kicks ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #26340
Jeff Munn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
That's crazy! Gabriel heard the buzz of the two strokes and came running...we had to watch it three times, lol. Yesterday was "Career Day" at my kids school. My daughter went well dressed with her hair up. She was "the future first female governor of VA." Gabriel went in all of his riding gear and told his teacher and classmates that he is going to be the Red Bull X Games Champion. I had to laugh out loud! The kid's got heart!

Eddy, we need to begin his training. I have the perfect place for it too. We can have him rolling over logs, and climbing rock walls in no time. None of these fake, made for TV courses either. I'm talking real world obstacles. All you have to do is find a weekend free. He'll never want to come back to Virginia once he finds out about long distance shooting too.......

jeff