ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #28381
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 977
Chicken Strips

I have a question for you more educated and experienced motorcyclists about chicken strips. All of my bikes have left a little bit of a chicken strip. Either because hard parts started scraping or I was too chicken to lean it over far enough (DR650). My Tiger 800 was scraping something and leaving a slim strip. I think it was the center stand. I finally cranked up the preload more and got rid of the scraping. I looked at my tires Sunday afternoon after chasing Halfplate over 250. The front has a thin strip, but the rear has basically none. I am worried that if I push any harder I might lay it down, but I am not sure if this is true. Can you have no chicken strip and still be riding safely within the limits of bike and tire?

Rear

Front
Old 05-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #28382
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Giveaway

Hey, I've got an old Winchester .22 semi-auto collecting dust. Can't remember the last time I shot it. I think I bought it from a pawn shop back in the early 90s for $60. Have a brick of ammo as well. Great for a youngster learning to shoot.

If anyone wants it, yell. Just come and get it. Cheap Walmart case as well. :-)

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #28383
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,371
I'll take it for my boy ?!?!?
Old 05-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #28384
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
I'll take it for my boy ?!?!?
Just pick a day and time. I'm over near the WIlly bridge (Parham and River). I work from home, so pretty much I'm always here. :-(

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
Old 05-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #28385
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Ok. Sweet that is great ...I'll meet ya maybe next week and get ya some lunch?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #28386
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
Ok. Sweet that is great ...I'll meet ya maybe next week and get ya some lunch?

Deal. You going to strap it to your bike, wild west style? Like they did with horses? :-)

Old 05-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #28387
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,929
Believe it or not, the brick of .22 ammo is worth more the the rifle! 500 rd bricks are unobtanium right now. I am not kidding.

We shoot a lot of .22 at our place and it is the scarcest ammo out there right now. I'll buy it from you. :-)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #28388
manganos
Let me pontificate.

I'm thinking a day I have off hahahaha

Old 05-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #28389
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I am worried that if I push any harder I might lay it down, but I am not sure if this is true. Can you have no chicken strip and still be riding safely within the limits of bike and tire?
I'd start hanging a cheek or two off the seat if I were you.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #28390
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I have a question for you more educated and experienced motorcyclists about chicken strips. All of my bikes have left a little bit of a chicken strip. Either because hard parts started scraping or I was too chicken to lean it over far enough (DR650). My Tiger 800 was scraping something and leaving a slim strip. I think it was the center stand. I finally cranked up the preload more and got rid of the scraping. I looked at my tires Sunday afternoon after chasing Halfplate over 250. The front has a thin strip, but the rear has basically none. I am worried that if I push any harder I might lay it down, but I am not sure if this is true. Can you have no chicken strip and still be riding safely within the limits of bike and tire?

Rear

Front
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I'd start hanging a cheek or two off the seat if I were you.
While I am probably the most inexperienced here when it comes to actually working on bikes, I would consider myself a very good street rider. I ran track days back when I had my SV650. Here's my input.

1. Different tire sizes will yield different chicken strips. I went to a taller tire on the front of my SV to help lay the bike over quicker in transitions. Because of that the front tire always had a small strip, whereas the back tire had none.

2. You can definitely "out ride" a tire, but it most likely won't be from you running out of it on a DR650. I would think you would outride the actual tire itself from pushing to hard. I.E. it's a knobbier tire with not as much street grip. I don't see you actually running out and having the bike slide out from under you.

3. You are more than likely not getting off the bike nearly as much as you need to. It seems most dirt oriented guys are glued to their seats street riding a lot of time. Super stiff. Straight up form. Try riding both of your bikes more like race bikes if you're really tearing up the curves. Set up for the turn. Get you butt off the seat. Keep pressure on the inside peg. hunker down some. Almost act like you're trying to kiss the end of your handlebar as you look through the turn.

Here's a pic, although I'm not following through on all my advice as good as I should be. I should be closer to the gas tank here. Handlbars on that bike, as well as on dual sports naturally make you want to sit up. Try to not do that.

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #28391
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,747
Richmond Va chatter

Regarding chicken strips,
back in the day I did some of that hanging off business. Not saying I was that fast or anything. The problem for me aside from possible extralegal speeds and unwanted attention, was that there was not much margin for gravel or an unexpected tightening turn or you name the hazard.
In the end, and everyone ride your own ride of course, I want an older style. Sit up straight, keep the bike still and smooth. Sweet and sexy, on the pipe, more in the gears than on the brakes. I say make love not war.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #28392
Roald
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggy View Post
All,

I just moved to VA, Fredericksburg area. Is there anywhere to ride at all in VA, anything close to Fburg? I have a plated KTM 450 XC-W and need some good single track, or at least some dual sport trails to fast burn on. Any information that you all can share would be appreciated!!

Riggy
There's lots of good riding in Central Va. This site is a pretty good resource:

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t...ginia_list.htm

Southern Maryland Dirt Riders has a great property off 301 which is not far from Fredericksburg.

http://smdr.org/

And there's always the VCHSS, they stage hare scramble races all over Va. They have classes for all abilities including a "Trail Riders" class. You don't have to be Kailub Russell to do a race. If you just want to ride, sign up for a C class or Trail Riders. It's $30 and you get to ride a nice course that's properly arrowed. Plus there are course workers ready to help if there's a problem and you never have to worry about clowns on quads or getting written up for trespassing.

http://vchss.org/vchss_flag_intro.htm
Roald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #28393
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Dirtmonkey; I think Ptownjohnny put Ohlin$ suspension on his Tiger. You could probably get some feedback from him regarding suspension upgrades. Since I splurged on my suspenders, I've never bottomed or scraped.

Sent from my mobile Interociter.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #28394
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
500 rd bricks are unobtanium right now. I am not kidding.
FYI, Dick's at Stony Point had a big case of 22 rounds (350 rounds per box) for $19.99 last Friday. 9mm Winchester target rounds were $33 for 100 rounds; 9mm hollow points are almost $1 a piece!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #28395
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Believe it or not, the brick of .22 ammo is worth more the the rifle! 500 rd bricks are unobtanium right now. I am not kidding.

We shoot a lot of .22 at our place and it is the scarcest ammo out there right now. I'll buy it from you. :-)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Wonder what the 900 or so rounds I have in an opened box of 1000 that I bought back before Y2K is worth? They have been in a green sealed ammo bnox all this time. Whenever I finally get up to Jeff's I'll have to bring it. Last time I shot any was at Jimmy's picnic by the river. The scary thought is my Vstrom was new then and Maganos rode there on a WR250X with a couple rifles from Dinnwidie. I think that might of been one of the first times I met any of the inmates here too.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote