ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #3331
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,037
Just got back from four days riding around AK. Hope to have a full report up soon

3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #3332
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,925
Sweet XT225?
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #3333
Colemanskeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
good news today

I'm heading back out to CA next month. I think there will be another run at Malibu and Decker Canyons!! I'd really like to ride something other than my friends Bonneville or GS....so I think I'm gonna rent an r1200r for three days and do some extended touring!! So do any of you have advise about rentals, extra insurance, etc.....

Colemanskeeper screwed with this post 08-25-2009 at 07:58 PM
Colemanskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #3334
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurgNinja
Ran into this IBR guy today while I was at AutoZone getting some fuses. On his way to Maine and his bike kept cutting out since 10AM this morning. He was trying to let a little oil out (level too high) and look what happened...
From VDST - Rock Mtn

Not sure if he thought the excess oil was getting into the air filter or why this would be something to pull over for. He had the most ridiculous electronic setup I had ever seen. Truly incredible. Wonder if the excess load could have been the culprit? After helping him with an impromptu oil change, he departed - all the while this kid was asking if he was going to clean up the mess. Classic.
Sadly, I believe I know him too. If he called himself the "Irish Spanner", he also belongs to the Richmond BMW club. Or did. I've only ever seen him on a massively tricked out BMW GS, setup for IB rides. I had no idea he had switched to a Connie. The last time I spoke with him at Poe's, he said he was in training to compete in the real Iron Butt competition (if he was selected). No matter, there is no excuse for doing that in a parking lot. If anyone wants his name, I can provide it. The next time I meet him I will pointedly ask him about it.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #3335
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudmanajl
Just got back from four days riding around AK. Hope to have a full report up soon...
Hold on there...tell us how, what, where......thats an epic location for a teaser
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #3336
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,740
Alright Mud! Awaiting the story, give us a heads up when you post.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:03 AM   #3337
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,037
I started a ride report, nothing to good yet. I hope to have everything done in the next couple of days, between our two cameras I am having to go through 400 pictures. It is taking forever

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500062
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #3338
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 2,937
Thumbs down I figured....he'll be getting an earfull I'm sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn
Sadly, I believe I know him too. If he called himself the "Irish Spanner", he also belongs to the Richmond BMW club. Or did. I've only ever seen him on a massively tricked out BMW GS, setup for IB rides. I had no idea he had switched to a Connie. The last time I spoke with him at Poe's, he said he was in training to compete in the real Iron Butt competition (if he was selected). No matter, there is no excuse for doing that in a parking lot. If anyone wants his name, I can provide it. The next time I meet him I will pointedly ask him about it.

jeff
I figured you would know him also Jeff, seeing as he was big in B'mer land around here as far as connections go.
We worked together for a couple years (he was an elect test tech, I was Mech Engineer for a power quality company) , he used to work for Morton's, and has setup a few IBR bikes for past competitors. He called me when he got the "big show" call, and asked me about the C14 and picked my brain, seeing as both his GS's are older, and he didn't trust trying to make the IBR on either of them.
He picked the Conni up last year, and I lost touch with him (his website is down, and he never returned all my calls) while I was trying to help him in setting the bike up (seeing as I've had mine over 2 years now)..I can see him doing something like this, he's extremely impatiant, and twitchy. When things do go "perfect" he gets really freaked out....I'll give him an earfull and let him know he's now the infamous "Exxon Valdez" of Va.

He likely changed his oil 5 minutes before leaving the house, and used an older PureOne filter from Autozone, there were a bunch of them that got manufactured incorrectly and the pressure relief function on them was hosed....and caused oil starvation and the oil light to stick on....this problem has been researched by us on COG forum already where it came into light.

Either way it really didn't matter that is was a CONNI, it just makes me madder that I know the dude, and that it IS a Conni....making a rather highly regarded group (COG) wear his badge of shame....(oh, he never sent in a COG membership....go figgure)

edited:

Yeah Jeff.....it's Roger.....
http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2009.cfm

only 2 C14's in this year, the other one is fellow COG'r from "down-under" Aussie Davo, sent his bike over here last month to get prepped.... Good Luck DAVO!!!!

MAN OF BLUES screwed with this post 08-26-2009 at 10:13 AM
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #3339
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,907
Antique and Vintage Motorcycle Exhibition 17 Oct?

Is there anyone who would be interested in helping me run a one day, Antique and Vintage motorcycle show here in Petersburg?

The Chamber of Commerce will no longer host the Nostalgia Days Festival here (formerly a 3 day event), but now has changed it to the "Petersburg Fall and Family Festival, and made it a one day event. Tentatively set for Saturday 17 Oct.

I've been asked if I would set it up and host it. I'm thinking something really low key like a vintage and antique ride-in, with maybe a People's Choice Award at day's end.

Mainly it would involve a lot of sitting around and BS'ing about old bikes during the day. Doing registration and taking ballots for the voting.

Even if you can't help with running it, who can I count on to ride one of their pre-1985 bikes down and fill the streets? I'd be happy to have a vintage dirt bike section too if you wanted to come Pete! I'll throw out my/your 1984 XT600 too.

Any reaction or willingness to participate? We could post this at Poe's, at Velocity, etc and try to get a good turn-out.

Anyone?

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #3340
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,356
Jeff I'd love to give ya a hand but my cousin is getting married at that time. Maybe I can come by in a tux though ;)
Old 08-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #3341
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,984
Jeff,

Like Chris, I'd love to help you out but I too have a wedding that day. I won't have a tux... just a pulpit robe.

- Jimmy
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #3342
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,501
Jeff:

That date's open right now. I can bring 1973 MX360, 1981 YZ465, 1979 SR500 (if I fix the carb), 1988 DT50. I think these all qualify.

Marking it on the calendar.....

Offer free eats and a lot of people will come! Brats?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #3343
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn

jeff
WTF, is this guy that afraid of getting lost. It looks like he has 4 or 5 GPS units. Also is that big hexigonal box an extension of the gas tank?
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #3344
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,925
Are you familiar with 10K mi in 10 days Yes that is a supplemental, probably gravity fed, fuel supply.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #3345
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe
WTF, is this guy that afraid of getting lost. It looks like he has 4 or 5 GPS units. Also is that big hexigonal box an extension of the gas tank?
Multiple GPS's probably all loaded with the same routes and bonus points. Would suck to be trying to do 10,000 miles in 10 days and lose your gps navigation. Redundancy, redundancy, redundancy..

That's probably why he's draining the oil onto the ground, can never do too many oil changes.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote