ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #3541
Colemanskeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Teeter....

did you find a place to have breakfast..........up for a repeat Saturday?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter
You nailed it. And I was trying to post an invite but apparently you broke page 231.

I actually did 3 runs on 56 this morning. (The first two weren't quite perfect..)
Old 09-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #3542
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Oddometer: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanskeeper
I'd go too, but we're headin' down to my parents in Nags Head for the weekend...
Old 09-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #3543
Colemanskeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
favorite time of year

Mike, now through the end of Oct is my favorite time of year down there! June starts our count down for our vacation around the first of Oct!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #3544
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,047
Thumb Napa Hose & W/p

Guy & Mike,
I believe the W/P Gary sends is completly assembled, and all you need is the O ring for the water tube, he even shows the O ring on the "pilot" cylendrical section in his photo, and others have made mention on the forum of this also. might give a call just in case tho mike, and tell Gary to call me when he gets a minnit I need to speak to him $$$$$$ my turn to farkle....

The napa hose Guy noted takes care of all the hose sections with "bends" they can be carfully cut from that one piece. The rest is std straight hose.
I'd do the Napa stuff, you'll get off cheaper also.
Shoot me your e-mail in a p/m and I'll send you my Coolant Woes article, it has all the parts noted in it, and a lot of good stuff, like clamps, common o-rings, and other stuff.

Guy, give me a call tomorrow round 10 or so and tell me what I missed on the website, I filled evrything out and read all the stuff, I went thru all the stuff, and they say first week is a waiting week....
No Jo-Momma, you guys are getting gun shy
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:27 AM   #3545
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Quote:
Mike, now through the end of Oct is my favorite time of year down there! June starts our count down for our vacation around the first of Oct!
Yep. I like going in Dec-Jan too. Nobody there, it's great!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:04 AM   #3546
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Looking for a manual motorcycle lift..

I thought I remembered a thread on this subject, but danged if I could find it... So I'll ask again..

What is a good reasonably priced lift (in other words, not the cheapest China has to offer, but not the best Germany has either ) for a 'light-duty weekend mechanic' like myself? I only have a halfway decent sized shed so I want something fairly compact, movable but sturdy. So don't give me a link to the $2k 6' foot long hydraulic mechanic shop lift, ok?

Saw this one from JCWhitney that looked interesting..

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...Group?Ntt=lift

Thanks
Old 09-09-2009, 04:52 AM   #3547
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
I seem to remember riding past a place that looked like a good option. Don't recall the the name though.

We have family in town through Saturday evening so that's a no-go. I might be able to head out Sunday morning..

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:54 AM   #3548
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinrichmond

I thought I remembered a thread on this subject, but danged if I could find it... So I'll ask again..

What is a good reasonably priced lift (in other words, not the cheapest China has to offer, but not the best Germany has either ) for a 'light-duty weekend mechanic' like myself? I only have a halfway decent sized shed so I want something fairly compact, movable but sturdy. So don't give me a link to the $2k 6' foot long hydraulic mechanic shop lift, ok?

Thanks
I don't know anything about this one, but the price is nice..
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93033

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:21 AM   #3549
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinrichmond

Thanks
I use the Sears version of that...got it for $75 on Sale....looks like its on Sale now for $89...$99 regularly...moves around the garage pretty good. Kinda wish all 4 wheels swiveled but 2 is good enough for what I do.....here in Japan you can buy robots with cartoon voices to maintain your bike while you sleep

Beware the 'TOTO'...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:15 AM   #3550
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub
I use the Sears version of that...got it for $75 on Sale....looks like its on Sale now for $89...$99 regularly...moves around the garage pretty good. Kinda wish all 4 wheels swiveled but 2 is good enough for what I do...
Thanks Mike, wasn't even thinking about checking Sears, guess that says a lot for their business nowadays. Will save shipping too.

Ohhh, just the thought o little Geisha gals walking on my back is heavenly! Now the other things they do...
Old 09-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #3551
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,047
Talking no lift...

careful Mike, don't get hastey, Conni don't like that lift...believe me!
Very tippy, and no good place on the bike to contact it.....it works on a Harley, not a Conni.
If you are gonna pop for one The Harbor freight full ride on lift is the bare minimum to trust, it ain't light weight, or compact, it is affordable, but you ain't moving it around easily..... I have 2, one working and one needing repair (it works fine, but you have to jackit up to remove the locking pin as the pump bleeds down), might make a good (sometimes lift)...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91764
really you shouldn't be needing the "depth" of equipment at this point, I worked on my bikes for 30 years without one, and Guy still doesn't have one (even though I offered my spare to him a few yaers ago, when I trusted it)....
Just buy good quality tools....when needed. Lets hope you don't need a lift.....
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #3552
Lostmycage
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hah! I never think to check this thread even though it's in my own backyard. Who knew there was so much Concours action goin on!?
Lostmycage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #3553
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,987
Hey Mike!

I used a simple pulley for years. I just looped a tie down strap around each side of the bars, hooked it to the pulley, and lifted it up. You may need to beef up your shed with a 4X4 crossbrace, but it's cheap and easy. Plus... the lift isn't in your way all the time. Just remember not to crack your head on the pulley.

- Jimmy
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #3554
crossEDup
Sir Fallsalot

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter
I don't know anything about this one, but the price is nice..
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93033
I use the one from Harbor Freight. Picked it up at their store on Midlothian Turnpike. Kinda cheaply built but serves my purposes for light bike and routine work. Some of us KTM guys use this lift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH3Nf9VeCKs

I guess we who ride orange dirt bikes don't have "all our oars in the water". Probably from too many impacts on our noggins while proving the laws of gravity.
crossEDup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #3555
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Thanks for the advice all! I wish I had the headroom to th pulley rig Jimmy, bu I have to duck a bit as it is..didn't know there was a HF on Midlo. Will have to go check it out too. Now when I'll need one I have lots of good info. Thanks guys, that's one reason I love this site!

And thanks again Rich for stopping by to give my new baby a good once over!