ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #3631
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote
Hey Chris, Jeff Munn told me you were the guy to ask about titling a dirt bike.
Picked up a 2000 Husky TE-610 today with just a copy of the certificate of origin. Do I have a shot at getting this beast titled and legal to ride on the road?

Baja Designs sells a kit, but I'm not sure if it's worth my time or money to give it a shot.

Help from anyone would be appreciated
I went through this with my bike. First you have to get a title. Take the MCO to a DMV and try to get a title, fill out the form for a plate and hopefully you'll get a regular title with a plate. If you get the right teller they can make this happen. I wasn't that lucky. You'll also have to pay sales tax for the bike.

If they don't want to give you a title print this out and take it with you http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+46.2-644.1. Have proof of ownership and you should at least be able to get an OHV title. Then you will have to convert it to a regular title. If you end up with an OHV title let me know and I'll tell what you need to do. It takes about 2 or 3 weeks to get the OHV title converted to a regular title.

Good luck!
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #3632
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote
Thanks, You going to Velocity Sat. Night?

No my sons Birthday party is Sat. Then I'm one year older on Sunday so blah...
Old 09-18-2009, 04:37 AM   #3633
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Oddometer: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by now it's just Al
Maybe Miss Connie wouldn't mind a nice long ride
Not this weekend, doing the water pump, new hoses, installing tip-over bars with highway pegs, routing GPS wires and mounting it up, and some other poking around under her skirt . But nice stretch of the legs coming soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos
No my sons Birthday party is Sat. Then I'm one year older on Sunday so blah...
Cool! My son's birthday is the day before mine as well.. Actually missed my birthday by 30 minutes (born at 11:30 pm)..Happy B-day to you both...
Old 09-18-2009, 06:35 AM   #3634
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimBenty
I went through this with my bike. First you have to get a title. Take the MCO to a DMV and try to get a title, fill out the form for a plate and hopefully you'll get a regular title with a plate. If you get the right teller they can make this happen. I wasn't that lucky. You'll also have to pay sales tax for the bike.

If they don't want to give you a title print this out and take it with you http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+46.2-644.1. Have proof of ownership and you should at least be able to get an OHV title. Then you will have to convert it to a regular title. If you end up with an OHV title let me know and I'll tell what you need to do. It takes about 2 or 3 weeks to get the OHV title converted to a regular title.

Good luck!
edit: Whoa! I just looked at your reference. That's a very handy provision in the law.
Here's a trick I learned. if the CO is branded with "off-road use only" or some thing like that, you run a fair risk of getting an OHV or "Dirt" title.

Cover up the stamp with a file folder label. One of the really sticky ones. Type a file number of some kind on it. Make it look official.

If they ask about it, just say it came that way from the dealer or finance company.

pplassm screwed with this post 09-18-2009 at 06:41 AM
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:06 AM   #3635
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm
edit: Whoa! I just looked at your reference. That's a very handy provision in the law.
Here's a trick I learned. if the CO is branded with "off-road use only" or some thing like that, you run a fair risk of getting an OHV or "Dirt" title.

Cover up the stamp with a file folder label. One of the really sticky ones. Type a file number of some kind on it. Make it look official.

If they ask about it, just say it came that way from the dealer or finance company.
HEY! That's cheating!

(I like it!)

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #3636
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinrichmond
Not this weekend, doing the water pump, new hoses, installing tip-over bars with highway pegs, routing GPS wires and mounting it up, and some other poking around under her skirt . But nice stretch of the legs coming soon...

Cool! My son's birthday is the day before mine as well.. Actually missed my birthday by 30 minutes (born at 11:30 pm)..Happy B-day to you both...
Cool, need help figuring out where in your new bike you hid your tools?
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #3637
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe
Cool, need help figuring out where in your new bike you hid your tools?
Maybe I'll get lucky and find some of the previous owner's tools instead...

You're welcome to come and watch the fun and excitement...I'll be starting around 10am..

Took wifey on her first ride with Connie tonight and she's much happier! Went to Pee-Wee's BBQ in Scottsville Well worth the gas...
Old 09-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #3638
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

finding tools

Don't think I'll be by until 11 or 12.

Got some family type stuff at 10 or so and before I can ride my bike anywhere I need to jump start it.

I went to start it this morning to ride to work and the battery was dead.

Doh I think I left the ignition turned to P instead of lock. Oh well, charging the battery booster tonight.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #3639
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

fun with battery acid

So Friday I went to start my bike and discovered my battery was really dead. The dash clock didn't even display.

This morning I jump started my bike and went for a 40 minute ride while watching my gauges constantly reset. I decide to go to autozone to get the battery tested. It didn't charge at all, couldn't even power the clock after I turned the bike off.

Buy a battery at Autozone. Ride to MikeIn Richmonds house and put the bike on the side stand. Battery acid starts running out the side of the bike.

Bozo at Autozone overfilled the battery. They didn't have another one in stock so I went to another autozone to get it swapped.

The 2nd battery from autozone was wrapped in plastic inside it's box so it was obvious no body had messed it up. I got to add the acid while in the parking lot and install the battery myself. Atleast this one isn't spraying acid all over the inside of my bike.

I did wash the underseat area of my bike to get rid of the acid.

The bad battery was the original from the factory. The bike only has 5300 miles on it.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:11 AM   #3640
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
One Crazt Ride Screening

Thank you Guy, Gaurav, Eric and Velocity. That was a great event and Kristen and I really appreciate the opportunity.

The film was fantastic. If you haven't see it, do so. You'll be richer for the experience.

I picked up a copy of Riding Solo.. and we can't wait to watch it today.

Thanks again!

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #3641
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter
Thank you Guy, Gaurav, Eric and Velocity. That was a great event and Kristen and I really appreciate the opportunity.

The film was fantastic. If you haven't see it, do so. You'll be richer for the experience.

Thanks again!
Sorry to miss it, wrenching all day..By the time I remembered it was too late. Glad ya'll had a good time...
Old 09-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #3642
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,777
Good to be home...

I think I now hate rice & sushi but just had to blast around on the neglected
Orange beastie today fooling around with the GoPro...

Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #3643
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
I love my GO PRO Glad you made it home ok!
Old 09-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #3644
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter

Thanks again!
Would like to hear your comments on it. No subtitles, which is what I recommended he do on this new one. I had the opportunity to critique/comment/make recommendations on the rough cut, and he actually used some of them.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #3645
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,992
Pissed Rider Down

In Powhatan, this afternoon.

The son of some family friends. He's about 20 or so, and was shuttling the family HD's to get state inspections done today. Apparently a cage pulled out in front of him while he was taking his mom's bike to the inspection station.

From what I've heard, he was transported to the ER for brain scans. His helmet was trashed, and he has a lot of road rash.

Hopefully, he'll be okay. He's a bright kid with a promising future.

Remember... they're all out to get you. Never let your guard down. And...

ATGATT!
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote