ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #4231
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 938
Rain + Dark

I like riding in the rain. I like riding at night.

But I am F'ing sick of riding home from work in the dark with it raining!!! It would be fine without oncoming traffic. But as soon as those oncoming headlights hit my wet shield I am completely blind.

Is it just me?

Is there a secret?

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #4232
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,648
I wonder if RainX works on moto shields....

On second thought, it looks like its for glass....inquiring minds want to know....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #4233
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub
I wonder if RainX works on moto shields....

On second thought, it looks like its for glass....inquiring minds want to know....
I've heard it can/will degrade your shield. I wonder, though, how long it takes and how severe the degradation is... Might be worth it.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #4234
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102316

Old 12-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #4235
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter
I've heard it can/will degrade your shield. I wonder, though, how long it takes and how severe the degradation is... Might be worth it.
Heard the same thing, but was always askeerd to try it. 'Course, my shields usually last as long as the helmet.... which is way more years than recommended. If you'd seen the one I'm using now, you'd understand.

COGgers are a frugal lot.

Teeter, not sure about your helmet, but mine allows rain splatter to get in on my glasses... which makes it doubley(sp?) worse... especially when you have to contend with fogging too.

Or would that be quadrupley??

If it's raining hard, like it was tonight when I left from work, I don't wear'em. Then I only have two surfaces to contend with, not four.

No fear. I can legally fly a plane without corrective lens, but it's always been on my drivers license. The vision test machines always seemed to cast a blur, so never really asked about trying the vision test without. This last time I did, and passed, so got that restriction removed.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #4236
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,985
Quote:
I like riding in the rain. I like riding at night.

But I am F'ing sick of riding home from work in the dark with it raining!!! It would be fine without oncoming traffic. But as soon as those oncoming headlights hit my wet shield I am completely blind.

Is it just me?

Is there a secret?

Are you having fogging issues, or is it just the rain?

I started using a repro foggy mask about two years ago. It works wonders for fogging.

Really helps in the rain because now you're not fighting fogging, only the rain.

My only issue was I didn't like using it year round, so I tried the Pinlock Shield.

It works great most of the time, though can get waterlogged during heavy rain, or long rains and starts to condensate. Very good for Cold weather.

For rain shedding, I use Plexus plastic cleaner.

It does a decent job, at shedding water, though it wears off quickly. Good for only about 30-45 minutes worth of rain. I always use it to clean my shields, and apply it again when I think I'll be riding in the rain. I think plexus sheds water better than rain-x (I tried it) and lemon pledge (what I used to use to clean my shields before I found plexus).

I'm still trying to find something for my glasses. Plexus on my glasses helps them clear faster, but it doesn't keep them from fogging. I finally found some "cat crap" at the new REI, but so far the spray type I bought doesn't seem to work any better than Plexus. I'm going to try the Cat Crap Paste to see if it works at all..

IMHO, Plexus and a respro foggy, or pinlock will help a bunch.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #4237
Michhub
Major Medical

Don't worry folks...Boon Booni is not a Richmond lurker...its "Gramps"....had me going there for a bit

Bonsai Elephant - "
Old 12-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #4238
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young

Teeter, not sure about your helmet, but mine allows rain splatter to get in on my glasses... which makes it doubley(sp?) worse... especially when you have to contend with fogging too.

Or would that be quadrupley??

If it's raining hard, like it was tonight when I left from work, I don't wear'em. Then I only have two surfaces to contend with, not four.

No fear. I can legally fly a plane without corrective lens, but it's always been on my drivers license. The vision test machines always seemed to cast a blur, so never really asked about trying the vision test without. This last time I did, and passed, so got that restriction removed.
Thanks Guy.

My helmet has a good seal and the rain stays out when the shield is closed. Unfortunately when it's cool and raining I have to keep it cracked open to fight the fog. So water gets in anyway. I don't wear my glasses when I ride (though I should) so that's not a problem for me. However, those drops of rain that I let cover the inside of the shield are impossible to swipe off with a thumb squeegie.

Maybe I just need to learn to trust my line and deal with the moments of blindness.. That's the real problem - I get a bit freaked, slow down and lose my line. Of course left hand turns with lights coming right at your face are the worst by far.

Boon Booni (or Gramps I guess).. Thanks.

Good ideas. My helmet came with a breath shield similar to the foggy, but it's a pain to use -- It comes up to the bottom of my eye holes and is really uncomfortable. That foggy looks to be a better design as far as that goes.

I keep meaning to try the inner shield (or pinlock I guess??) Upst8 has something similar and says it works a treat. I'll have to try that soon.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #4239
Michhub
Major Medical

Quote:
I keep meaning to try the inner shield (or pinlock I guess??) Upst8 has something similar and says it works a treat. I'll have to try that soon...
I think Upst8 had a Fog City insert...similar to my Arai Pinlock...which works really good with fogging...not so helpful with rain droplets on the outside...I use the turn your head method....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Old 12-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #4240
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,925
Had that same problem tonight while grabbing flow's VA Tag. LINK I wear glasses as well and had to crack the visor...after 30 min of highway riding, it had beaded just as much on the inside as it had on the outside. Going up 211, the changing temp and humidity caused to to fog whether or not I breathed - I would wipe the inside with my wet finger and it would clear it up for about 5 seconds...then fog again. Rather harrowing but just a normal wet weather ride

Pinlock is at the top of my list.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #4241
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
I've been fighting the same thing at night in the rain. The fogging is what was getting to me. I bought a PinLock setup for the Shoei. Those things are MAGICAL, I cannot believe how well they work.

Now I don't have the distraction of cracking the shield and getting water in my eyes, etc. They work so well I cannot believe I went so long without. Just leave the shield down and ride, no worries.

It's like having heated clothing I guess, once you try it you'll wonder how you survived without it!!
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #4242
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub
I think Upst8 had a Fog City insert...similar to my Arai Pinlock...which works really good with fogging...not so helpful with rain droplets on the outside...I use the turn your head method....
Actually I have the Progrip. Same, same but different. Works really good, the foggy morning we rode at the COG I had no issues with fogging up inside even with a balaclava and some heavy breathing since I am so out of shape. I use Rain Ex on my shield to help bead and blow the water off...if it degrades the shield it's not that big a deal to me. I change my shield about two or three times a year anyway, being able to see is kinda important to me..

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #4243
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8
Actually I have the Progrip. Same, same but different. Works really good, the foggy morning we rode at the COG I had no issues with fogging up inside even with a balaclava and some heavy breathing since I am so out of shape. I use Rain Ex on my shield to help bead and blow the water off...if it degrades the shield it's not that big a deal to me. I change my shield about two or three times a year anyway, being able to see is kinda important to me..
Where did you get the Progrip? I don't see where you can buy it on their site.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #4244
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,812
Quote:
Where did you get the Progrip? I don't see where you can buy it on their site.
I bought mine from a Motostealership here in town, but I think motorcyclesuperstore.com has em...

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #4245
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
I had a pinlock and it works very well until you get water in between the insert and the shield. I have since sold that helmet and got a Scorpion modular that I just installed a Fog City insert last night. I haven't tried it out yet though. My brother has one and he says it works real well and it also darkens with sunlight. I like how the fog city seals up over the pinlock.

I got mine from motorcycle superstore.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...r-Inserts.aspx

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote