ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #5176
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Jimmy
What a great deal!

What do you suggest I say in reply?

Jimmy,

I happen to have a friend who lives in Edmonton. Ask the guy if he would be willing to bring the bike to my friend's business so he can inspect if for you. See what he says. If he gives you a positive response I'll call my friend and we can make arrangements. Also, ask him for a scanned copy of his title so you can run it by the Virginia DMV to see if it can be registered in VA. If he's legitimate none of this should be a problem for him. If he does have a problem then you have you answer.

Mickey

MADSTROM screwed with this post 03-11-2010 at 05:30 PM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #5177
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM
Jimmy,

I happen to have a friend who lives in Edmonton. Ask the guy if he would be willing to bring the bike to my friend's business so he can inspect if for you. See what he says. If he gives you a positive response I'll call my friend and we can make arrangements. Also, ask him for a scanned copy of his title so you can run by the Virginia DMV to see if it can be registered in VA. If he's legitimate none of this should be a problem for him. If he does have a problem then you have you answer.

Mickey

I have no doubt that it's a scam, but it's kinda fun messin' with the scammer.
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #5178
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
Watching a show about the 1%ers "Bandido"s and they showed some footage, much obviously stock, and I recognized a set of BMW System Cases and a blinking turn signal. Didn't know the boxers were big amongst them

Good lunch break, now BACK TO WORK!
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #5179
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,095
Jimmy,
These are fun! String him along for several days making him think that he is actually going to get money from you. Keep asking stupid questions and then tell him, as mentioned previously, that you are actually going to be where the bike is next week, in your pick-up truck no less, and that you would like to pick it up in person.
I can't belive that people are STILL falling for this! I have gotten several similar e-mails over the past couple of years where they state that "I am a officer in the army stationed in England and my 2010 GS 1200 in Nashville is for sale, blah, blah, blah, shipped to you for only $3200!" Yeah right!
Old 03-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #5180
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
Reminds me of this great story
Three guys who go by the names Professor So and So, Jojobean and YeaWhatever spend part of each day running elaborate cons on Internet scammers. They consider themselves enforcers of justice, even after they send a man 1400 miles from home, to the least safe place they can bait him: the border of Darfur. The three self-made enforcers tell Ira their story. For more on what they did, along with photos, maps and phone recordings, go here
http://www.419baiter.com/
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #5181
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo23831
Jimmy,
These are fun! String him along for several days making him think that he is actually going to get money from you. Keep asking stupid questions and then tell him, as mentioned previously, that you are actually going to be where the bike is next week, in your pick-up truck no less, and that you would like to pick it up in person.
I can't belive that people are STILL falling for this! I have gotten several similar e-mails over the past couple of years where they state that "I am a officer in the army stationed in England and my 2010 GS 1200 in Nashville is for sale, blah, blah, blah, shipped to you for only $3200!" Yeah right!
Here's the latest on the "Deal of the Century" harley. I told the "seller" that I have a business associate in Edmonton who would check out the bike, and handle the face to face transaction. I also told him to send me a photocopy or scanned image of the title, so i could verify that it had no liens, and could be titled in the US.

His reply:

Here is my address: 16514-69 Street North West Edmonton, Alberta T5Z3V5

Unfortunately I am unable to comply with your request to supply the copy of the Title, it is not my policy to copy and distribute such info.You can carry out any online checks you need using the vin#. which I can supply if you wish.

James

He's not too bad at this game!

I think I'll ask for detailed photos and the vin #. Anything else?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #5182
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

No problem

No probelm, your good friend (who is an FBI field agent) can stop by tonight and look at the paperwork himself. If it looks good, you will send the money in the morning after going to the bank, and you will throw in an extra $100 for taking the time to let your friend come over, LOL!
Old 03-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #5183
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

and then...

And then when it's over, send him a link to this site so he can see how much fun we had!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #5184
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,367
Ask him to take a picture of his middle finger pointing to the VIN # as well as a copy of his fingerprints ;)
Old 03-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #5185
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,666
Atleast he picked a real address and not some vacant lot....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #5186
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Jimmy
Here's the latest on the "Deal of the Century" harley. I told the "seller" that I have a business associate in Edmonton who would check out the bike, and handle the face to face transaction. I also told him to send me a photocopy or scanned image of the title, so i could verify that it had no liens, and could be titled in the US.

His reply:

Here is my address: 16514-69 Street North West Edmonton, Alberta T5Z3V5

Unfortunately I am unable to comply with your request to supply the copy of the Title, it is not my policy to copy and distribute such info.You can carry out any online checks you need using the vin#. which I can supply if you wish.

James

He's not too bad at this game!

I think I'll ask for detailed photos and the vin #. Anything else?
Well, I'll give it to him ... he's not flinching. Ask him to take 3 or 4 shots showing the bike and progressively zooming in on the vin number on the frame. Anybody have a contact with the Mounties? You could ask them to run a background check on him.
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #5187
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM
Well, I'll give it to him ... he's not flinching. Ask him to take 3 or 4 shots showing the bike and progressively zooming in on the vin number on the frame. Anybody have a contact with the Mounties? You could ask them to run a background check on him.
Already done.

I don't have a contact with the mounties, but I do have a contact with the Royal Game Conservators (?) in Alberta.... I'm sure they can hook me up with the right fraud investigator in Edmonton.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #5188
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos
Ask him to take a picture of his middle finger pointing to the VIN # as well as a copy of his fingerprints ;)
He may get a pic of my middle finger before long.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #5189
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,014
Question What the..

Who the heck uses Bing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub
Atleast he picked a real address and not some vacant lot....
And look, Outlook has a whole folder dedicated to tech support.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #5190
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,666
Funny...I thought to myself...I wonder if the geeks will see my Outlook in the taskbar...question answered GEEK thats my job don't ya know...its always there 'cause its gotta be....OBTW...Bing gives you the Birds Eye view easier then Google Earth....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote