ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #5896
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,542
I got 87 degrees on my plastic right knee today. I focus all my pain on my physical therapist.

I need 90 by next week to avoid "manipulation". Sounds just peachy. ARGHHH!

If you want to hear me cry like a baby, stop by on PT day.

pplassm screwed with this post 06-01-2010 at 05:28 PM
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #5897
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,014
Rehabilitation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm
I got 87 degrees on my plastic right knee today. I focus all my pain on my physical therapist.

I need 90 by next week to avoid "manipulation". Sounds just great. ARGHHH!

Keep it up Pete. Just think about how good it will be to kick-start a big thumper again! Want to practice on that big XT600 you sold me?

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #5898
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn
Keep it up Pete. Just think about how good it will be to kick-start a big thumper again! Want to practice on that big XT600 you sold me?

jeff
I am really surprised you still have that. Seems like I get questions about dual-sports every time I ride. (3 weeks ago, as of today)
Old 06-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #5899
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,403
Quote:

I need 90 by next week to avoid "manipulation". Sounds just peachy. ARGHHH!

As mentioned before, been there done that. All of my shoulder therapy sessions ended with a 15 minute "manipulation" period. The chick was cool and showed some compassion. The gorilla, on the other hand, liked to see grown men cry. Nice guy 'til he got his mitts on you, then it was all pain and agony until he finished and I walked out the door. Repeat every other day for all too long.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #5900
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123
You guys ok up there? Everyone must be working on Guy's garage?? Maybe it's done and you're having a huge party???
Nope, not done and no party yet. Probably set up scaffolding in the next couple of days so I can get the high stuff done. The rear is gonna be a real PITA; it's up there.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #5901
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young
As mentioned before, been there done that. All of my shoulder therapy sessions ended with a 15 minute "manipulation" period. The chick was cool and showed some compassion. The gorilla, on the other hand, liked to see grown men cry. Nice guy 'til he got his mitts on you, then it was all pain and agony until he finished and I walked out the door. Repeat every other day for all too long.
Apparently, this type of "manipulation" involves sedation, and severe stretching with medieval devices. They promise me that it won't hurt, until later.............
Old 06-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #5902
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Oddometer: 2,773
Quote:
Apparently, this type of "manipulation" involves sedation, and severe stretching with medieval devices. They promise me that it won't hurt, until later.............
Sometimes this is necessary, though. And yes to sedation, but no to medieval devices, just the Dr's or assistants hands. If your body has laid down the scar tissue in a funky pattern, it might not ever stretch out properly. Of all the manipulations I've seen of young/healthy individuals, there was not one that was worse off for it. The folks that get into trouble are the frail elderly, and most Dr's have learned not to manipulate these folks anymore. Mostly it helps to get you 'over the hump' motion-wise. It will be more sore esp. the couple of days afterwords, but use ice and keep it going.

One trick that I use on folks that have a headboard with slats or something to tie around behind them, is to lie in bed on your back, take a belt or two together, go around one of the slats behind you then bring the belt around the back of your thigh, and let gravity bend your knee over 20-30 minutes, a couple of times of day if you have the time. A prolonged stretch tends to work better IMHO then killing yourself for a few minutes trying to get it as far back as you can on your own. Let me know how things are going..
Old 06-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #5903
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's the type of manipulation the doc told me:

1. They can do it.
2. You can do it.
3. I can do it..... and I think you'd prefer 1 and/or 2.

They did part of it, and I opted out when I was seeing no noticible progress for the bux I was spending. Started going to the exercise room at the Y forced myself to work the arm in ways that sort of replicated what I was doing in therapy, but more focused. It worked. Only "issues" now are a sagging shoulder (common I hear) and being able to predict the weather. Other than that, full motion. After the sling came off, I was lucky if I could get it past 10 deg.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #5904
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinrichmond
One trick that I use on folks that have a headboard with slats or something to tie around behind them, is to lie in bed on your back, take a belt or two together, go around one of the slats behind you then bring the belt around the back of your thigh, and let gravity bend your knee over 20-30 minutes, a couple of times of day if you have the time. A prolonged stretch tends to work better IMHO then killing yourself for a few minutes trying to get it as far back as you can on your own. Let me know how things are going..
I like this idea, Mike, and I'll try to get it in place tomorrow. Thanks!

It's got to beat 20 minutes of screaming every other day.

PP
Old 06-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #5905
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young
Nope, not done and no party yet. Probably set up scaffolding in the next couple of days so I can get the high stuff done. The rear is gonna be a real PITA; it's up there.
Ok, looks like you guys are still around, just a quite few days on the forum.

I only had a few days home between underways so we just hung around the house and I spent a lot of time on the back porch sipping cool ones and surfing ADV.

When I get back next week I may drag Tom up that way on a bcak road ride and stop in to see the progress.
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #5906
Jeff Munn

Anyone we know?

Guy,
Have you heard of any of your friends in COG wadding a new Concours near Sugar Grove, WV this last weekend?

I went over to see B.E. Coyote on his new property and he told me about it. Some guy lost it in the turns coming up the mtn from Sugar Grove and totaled the bike. Apparently he was okay, but not the Connie.

Other than that, we had a great time at the Farm. Caught almost every fish in the pond, twice. The sunfish are now bigger than your whole hand, and are about 1 lb a piece. The hops are doing great too. Had to build a trellis and start training the runners up the lines. They are already about 18" long.

I can't wait until the fall when I can swap fresh hops (Cascade, Fuggle, Mt. Hood and Willamette) for fresh homebrew. Anyone interested?

jeff

Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #5907
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,779
It was totalled alright ...he was riding out of the campout I was at last weekend...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #5908
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub
It was totalled alright ...he was riding out of the campout I was at last weekend...
He doesn't look firmilar to me, how about you Guy or MOB?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #5909
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306
He doesn't look firmilar to me, how about you Guy or MOB?
Yup, I know him.... but I'll allow him to acknowledge the shot.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #5910
Jeff Munn

Dang Custom bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub
I can see exactly what happened. Guys do that in Petersburg a lot. Spend huge gobs of money on chrome and getting the wheel base stretched. Then find out they won't turn sharp anymore! If he had't stretched that front end he'd probably made that turn........