ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #61
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Oddometer: 2,773
Well at least it's stopped raining! I am getting tired of putting on my yellow duck outfit...quack, quack..
Old 12-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #62
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

ADV related gear notice:

Office Max: Sandisk 8Gb SD card, 19.99. That will hold a lot of file photos guys!
Old 12-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #63
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub
Pencil me in, took the XR out and the clutch is slippin'....I had ordered chain & sprockets but not a clutch kit...hopefully its cable related as I just installed ASV levers and have been messing with the free play....can't be worn out with only 5k on the clock or can it....
Well, the good news is I sorted the clutch issue...I was able to pull wheelies and do full throttle roll-ons, not sure how I messed the free play up but seems OK Bad news is, the GF just locked me into a 'surprise' visit home(VT) and I'll be out of town until 12/29.. no DS ride for me that weekend...Alternatively, I'll be around 12/29 - 1/4 looking to ride on or off road....happy holidays guys...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #64
darrahc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Just ran across this thread...

Just ran across this thread and thought I'd chime in...

I picked up an F800GS last month after almost 20 years of not riding and 2 years of going through a divorce. Last time I was on a bike, I crashed (never had any 'formal' training & was young and invincible) and never picked one up since. Mostly due to a 'higher sense' of obligation to the family (3 young kids - 10, 8 & 4) and a lot of guilt from the ex ("we could spend that money on matching side tables for the bedroom that we desparately need! Plus, you'll kill yourself")

Anyways, I'm loving the bike and loving the learning process of riding the 'right way'. Read not borrowing my friend's bike at 2am after a party to take a girl back to her place with no helmet... Actually, looking back, it's surprising I never got in a major incident! I have a fair amount of experience tracking cars - primarily at VIR but the car racing thing is a BIG, DEEP, black money hole!

So for what it's worth, there's a quick intro and I look forward to meeting some of you here. It seems like a great site!
darrahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #65
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Quote:
Well, the good news is I sorted the clutch issue...I was able to pull wheelies and do full throttle roll-ons, not sure how I messed the free play up but seems OK Bad news is, the GF just locked me into a 'surprise' visit home(VT) and I'll be out of town until 12/29.. no DS ride for me that weekend...Alternatively, I'll be around 12/29 - 1/4 looking to ride on or off road....happy holidays guys...
Heading up north? Might want to hitch a ride on a snow plow! My brother is in Rochester NY and he's been socked-in for a week.

Just had an idea though. Does KTM make snowmobiles?
Old 12-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #66
Michhub
Major Medical

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrahc

I picked up an F800GS last month after almost 20 years of not riding and 2 years of going through a divorce. Last time I was on a bike, I crashed (never had any 'formal' training & was young and invincible) and never picked one up since. Mostly due to a 'higher sense' of obligation to the family (3 young kids - 10, 8 & 4) and a lot of guilt from the ex ("we could spend that money on matching side tables for the bedroom that we desparately need! Plus, you'll kill yourself")

Anyways, I'm loving the bike and loving the learning process of riding the 'right way'. Read not borrowing my friend's bike at 2am after a party to take a girl back to her place with no helmet... Actually, looking back, it's surprising I never got in a major incident! I have a fair amount of experience tracking cars - primarily at VIR but the car racing thing is a BIG, DEEP, black money hole!

So for what it's worth, there's a quick intro and I look forward to meeting some of you here. It seems like a great site!
Welcome Richmond Lurker...that F800GS is a sweet bike, would make a great Tag chaser ...join us, we are a great bunch and meet somewhat regulary to socialize etc...from your profile all I gather is that you are in my age group... got knobs for the GS? or strictly street?
Bonsai Elephant - "
Old 12-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #67
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Quote:

I picked up an F800GS last month after almost 20 years ...
Hey Darrahc! Glad to see you stop by and give us a shout. Welcome!
We have a great and diverse group of riders that frequent here, including everyone from dirt racers to long-distance haulers. We have get-togethers every so often and hit a restaurant or a someone's home, and we are due, but with the holidays I just don't think it's gonna happen until the first of the year. Keep watch.

If you are interested, we also have a thread labeled "Richmond Commuter tag" that about 15-20 of us play at any one time, year round. Basically, someone takes a pic of their bike at a spot, give clues, and the next rider that finds it, takes a pic with their bike at the spot, gets to go and take the next pic. Pretty straightforward and loads of FUN! Go to the first post in the thread, it explains everything including the basic rules and boundaries of the game. I've learned more about Richmond in the few months I've been playing, than the 8 years I've been driving around here in the car.

If that's not your thing, still come and hang out and get to know the guys. Again Welcome!
Old 12-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #68
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Quote:
Welcome Richmond Lurker...that F800GS is a sweet bike, would make a great Tag chaser ...join us, we are a great bunch and meet somewhat regulary to socialize etc...from your profile all I gather is that you are in my age group... got knobs for the GS? or strictly street?
Got Bruced trying to post a 'Welcome' post!
Old 12-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #69
darrahc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinrichmond
Got Bruced trying to post a 'Welcome' post!
That's alright - I've been called worse! I'll have to double check the profile deal now...

No knobbies - only the stock OEM Blackwings. Once I get out of this damn apartment & get a house with a garage I've got a few things on my list and knobs are near the top. Just no storage space - although it already kind of looks like a garage in here with a car hood, lifts, jacks, bikes, etc. At least I've got the 54" TV and a fridge with beers so it's not all bad
darrahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #70
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,987
Darrahc

Welcome to the asylum!

Don't believe the BS about all of us being good guys.

We're a sorry lot.

SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #71
Michhub
Major Medical

Quote:
...I've got the 54" TV and a fridge with beers so it's not all bad
I vote the noob host's the next get together...

...see how friendly we are, you mention beer and we're your friends
Bonsai Elephant - "
Old 12-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #72
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos
Jimmy..... do you EVER take a Sunday off? Say the Sunday after X-mas? Lets do the dual sport ride.
I take 5 Sundays a year.

2 are reserved for family (vacations, etc)
3 are for events for my other job.

Man, it sucks having to work so much...
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #73
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,363
Well I went to church TWICE today..... WHEW. But I must have impressed the wife because we just got back from sears and she "allowed" me to get a new tool chest!!!! She is tired of me bitching b/c I can't find this or that so she went and told the guy to load it in my truck. She is ok in my book! I'm still on for the 28th ( I think that is Sunday) unless it is 33 degrees AND raining.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #74
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Quote:
I vote the noob host's the next get together...

...see how friendly we are, you mention beer and we're your friends
I second the motion. Motion carried. See, democracy at work!
Old 12-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #75
mikeinrichmond OP
Farkleus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMN8R
Welcome to the asylum!

Don't believe the BS about all of us being good guys.

We're a sorry lot.

And that's from the preacher!