ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #8236
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,234
Laugh Carbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo23831
Unfortunately, I am limited on free time to tinker, and I am not very mechanically inclined beyond oil changes. I was actually going to ask for recommendations regarding someone (preferably one who knows what they are doing) who would like to make some extra money replacing all of the fluids (fork, oil, brake, transmission, clutch resevoir), checking valves, checking and adjusting all of the cables and cleaning/synchig the carbs if needed.
If you decide to take Guy up on service once he gets all the garage done, let me know...He has a good deal of knowledge on the workings of this type bike, as he was the Tech Ed for Cog for years.....which he passed down to me as a position, and after I did it for a few years had to give it up due to work responsibility. i did write a pretty comprehensive artical on Carb building during that time, and would assist him in that venture, as pretty much I have been considered by COG as the "ZenMaster of Keheins"...shoot me an e-mail addy thru a p/m, and I'll send you my carb artical.
Mostly they only need a meticulous cleaning, and a factory setup unless the bikes mechanics were heavily modded.
Mid winter would be best, as he has heat in the garage.....I don't....heheheheh
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #8237
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,283
Guy, a couple of weeks or months is no big deal. If you are interested, I'm on no time crunch...
Old 11-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #8238
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Thumb

Ed...
I also have a lot of expeirence in Mik carbs to boot....Does that bike have the flatslides or the round slides?

Quote:
I am going to look at a '93 Suzuki GSX1100G .....But these attributes, along with a strong, reliable, air/oil cooled motor that produces gobs of torque.....Thoughts? Suggestions?
doesn't that thing have liquid cooling/ radiator????? i thought it did?

MAN OF BLUES screwed with this post 11-20-2010 at 11:47 AM
Old 11-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #8239
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
I've seen that video a million times and it's always funny. Growing up in the UP makes it even more special. We NEVER did anything like that when we were young!!!
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #8240
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,993
Quote:
How about leaving from the Starbucks at the intersection of Route 10 and Jeff Davis Hwy (Rt 301) in Chester at 1:30? I was thinking about either making a big loop going south on Halifax, west on 40, up 627/708, looping around the west side of the lake and head back into Chester via River Rd.
We could do the ferry but at this time of year, we would be back well after dark if we did the 5/10/ferry ride. Bambi would be waiting to say hello! I'm up for anything, I just need a ride...

Who's in?

In.
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #8241
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Not sure about the carbs, I'll check. No, no radiator, it's air/oil cooled. If you have the time to service it, it's all yours. We just need to discuss everything it needs in detail and if you could give me a rough estimate of chages. I'm not expecting a ridiculously low price either. I am willing to pay a fair price, I just don't want to pay the stupid prices that Burcham's threw at me!
Thanks!
Old 11-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #8242
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
How about leaving from the Starbucks at the intersection of Route 10 and Jeff Davis Hwy (Rt 301) in Chester at 1:30? I was thinking about either making a big loop going south on Halifax, west on 40, up 627/708, looping around the west side of the lake and head back into Chester via River Rd.
We could do the ferry but at this time of year, we would be back well after dark if we did the 5/10/ferry ride. Bambi would be waiting to say hello! I'm up for anything, I just need a ride...

Who's in?
I'm in.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #8243
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
I am in...might bale out early though since I did an all day ride out to the mountains today.
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #8244
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:

Who's in?
Well seeing as it is right up the street, it would be rude of me not to join. I'm in.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #8245
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Who's in?
Is that Starbucks in the Bermuda Square Shopping Center?
Old 11-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #8246
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor
Is that Starbucks in the Bermuda Square Shopping Center?
That's where google maps shows it.
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:08 AM   #8247
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMN8R
That's where google maps shows it.
Thanks Jimmy.See you guys there.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #8248
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Wicked

Quote:
Not sure about the carbs, I'll check. No, no radiator, it's air/oil cooled. If you have the time to service it, it's all yours. We just need to discuss everything it needs in detail and if you could give me a rough estimate of chages. I'm not expecting a ridiculously low price either. I am willing to pay a fair price, I just don't want to pay the stupid prices that Burcham's threw at me!
Thanks!
IS this the baby?

we need pictures or it didn't happen.....

Your best bet is to take Guy up on the offer right at this point, as I noted I can "assist" him when it gets to the carbs......I work pretty cheap.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #8249
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Yes, that Starbucks, at the intersection of Iron Bridge Rd (Rt 10) and Jeff Davis Hwy (Rt 301), 1:30. Be there or be square!

Yes, that is my exact bike minus the bags and change the seat to a Corbin. Add a little overall patina to the picture while you're at it, especially to the headers! I am already resisiting the tempation in my head telling me to replace the headers and any other weathered or sun faded parts. All of that cosmetic stuff takes a back seat to maintenance right now with Santa Claus coming in four weeks. He is bringing the family a week vacation to Disney, Sea World and Busch Gardens Africa! (The kids don't know!)

Guy, let me know when you are ready, no rush.

Eddy
Old 11-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #8250
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor
Thanks Jimmy.See you guys there.
I'd luv to join ya'll, but since I'm renting some pipe threading stuff, in good (financial) conscious, I can't. That's one of my favorite rides (assuming no performance awards).

Ya'll have fun, be safe, and hope some of ya'll can join us next month for an un-official COG ride from the Capital Pancake House in W'burg. A ride down 5, and a short blast on the Parkway, will get us there.