ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #8731
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post

I went out this morning at 3am to check it out but some clouds had rolled in. I could see a faint red moon through the cloud cover.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #8732
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
bike repair

I second Eppa Wimbish. Every time I go over there to get something done he has something new up on the stand working on it. Jack of all trades he is. Most importantly.... he is very reasonable. Located in Central Garage, just north of Richmond. I have his contact number if anyone is interested. If you ever go over there ask to see his collection. You will be very surprised.
chuck
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #8733
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Winter Solstice

I got to see the beginning of the Winter Solstice last night. On a flight from Denver to Toronto the cockpit lit up like it was day time. By the time we got to Toronto, just after 1am it had started to change color but we lost it behind the clouds when we started our descent to the airport. I hope someone got a good look at it.
chuck
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #8734
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I’ll keep you all posted once I develop the curriculum and have things in place.
I may have to quit a job to clear up the time to attend... but I think it'd be worth it!

SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #8735
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
I went out this morning at 3am to check it out but some clouds had rolled in. I could see a faint red moon through the cloud cover.
Me to...had the camera & tripod....bummer...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #8736
mubikS
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 113
Question

Anyone heard from MOB? Hasn't been returning PM's or emails.
1977 Honda CB750, 1974 Honda CL450, 1972 Honda CL360
Project: 1988 Yamaha YX600,
mubikS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #8737
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,768
[QUOTE=Boon Booni;14749549]Before you soak take a look at this..

...Did you pull out the idle mixture adjustment screw? It's the 16014 in the above image.

(#92066).
Then, gently tighten the adjustment screw. Don't crank on it as the needle is delicate. Just turn in gently until it stops. While tightening it count the turns it take to seat. (it'll probably be in the range of 1 1/2-2 1/2 turns.) That's the adjustment you want to return the screw to when you reinstall it.

Once you've counted turns til it seats, remove the screw. It may come out with a spring a washer and an o ring. if these don't come out with the screw, get them out. They need to go back together as a whole assembly.

Now clean the carb out again, make sure you've got good flow from the bowl area into the adjustment hole and from the hole out to the carb throat. I'm betting this is where most of your issue is.

Installation is simple. Just take the screw, put the spring on, then the washer then the oring. Then install as one piece back in the carb. Lightly seat the adjustment screw, then back off the number of turns you counted when removing it.

Carb internet class in session___________________________________________ ________________

Ok I have it out. The hidden idle mixture adjustment screw. Now see the little brass circle on the carb bottom? Is that a cover that hides another jet or screw?
There are three little holes, inside the carb that look like they lead to it. Does it need to come out and be cleaned too?

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #8738
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post

Carb internet class in session___________________________________________ ________________

Ok I have it out. The hidden idle mixture adjustment screw. Now see the little brass circle on the carb bottom? Is that a cover that hides another jet or screw?
There are three little holes, inside the carb that look like they lead to it. Does it need to come out and be cleaned too?

No, that is a drilling plug. It's a permanent part of the carb.
You should be able to look at the various drilling plugs, sometimes they look like brass bee bees, and follow where every little hole on the inside of the carb should come out elswhere in the carb. I take carb cleaner with one of the red straws and shoot carb cleaner into each opening and make sure it's coming out of some other hole.

After being shot in the eye more than once, I wear one of these while doing this.

The needle looks like is has a some color on it, so maybe is was munged up a little. The idle circuit is very sensitive to gunking up. Make sure that pilot circuit is flowing cleaner nicely. Hopefully that'll help your idle.

I notice the bike also has a vacuum activated petcock, so if it keeps stalling, it's probably worth a look to make sure the petcock is flowing fuel under vacuum.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #8739
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Carb class

Ok, starts very nicely and idles but dies when the choke is cut off. Will not run with out choke, hummm

I am getting very good about getting that carb out and back in.

I think everything is clean. The pet cock is clean. The gas lines off of the tank to the petcock had a very tight fit and were molded. I say were, because they just could not tolerate my ham handed behavior. I have clear lines right now just to flow gas.

Progress!

Turned that mystical screw out another half turn and it did much better! I need think I another turn or so.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 12-21-2010 at 07:20 PM
Old 12-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #8740
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
Pilot jet is clogged. Bring it buy and ill fix it for ya.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #8741
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
Ok, starts very nicely and idles but dies when the choke is cut off. Will not run with out choke, hummm

I am getting very good about getting that carb out and back in.

I think everything is clean. The pet cock is clean. The gas lines off of the tank to the petcock had a very tight fit and were molded. I say were, because they just could not tolerate my ham handed behavior. I have clear lines right now just to flow gas.

Progress!

Turned that mystical screw out another half turn and it did much better! I need think I another turn or so.
You beat me to the punch. I was going to suggest 1/2 a turn out cause they're usually so lean from the factory.

Manganos is right, if it won't idle without the choke it usually is the idle circuit.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #8742
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Ok it's bed time now. But I turned it out another 1/2 turn and it did better but it's still not right. I can rev it up now, but it won't quite idle right. I can turn off the choke and keep it going. Progress. We had fun tonight, my kid and me. We'll see. Thanks y'all, really. If I don't get the chance, Merry Christmas!

Old 12-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #8743
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Anyone going? Hampton boys turned me onto this. Looks cool. I think i'll take my boy.

http://icespeedway.com/index.shtml

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #8744
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,993
Quote:
Anyone going? Hampton boys turned me onto this. Looks cool. I think i'll take my boy.

Graham,

My son and I may go to that as well. I need to check on some things with work before I can commit.

Looks like it'd be a lot of fun!

- Jimmy
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #8745
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
I have the weekends off in Jan! I might try to make this with my boy!!!!!

Quote: