ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #9016
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo23831 View Post
You can take the 0623 Amtrak up to Union Station at 0900 and walk a few blocks to the convention center. Enjoy the show all day, get a good meal then get back on at 7:00 pm and arrive in Richmond at 9:30 for a measly $84. No gas, no NOVA traffic, no stress and you can kick back and relax with a stack of new motorcycle brochures and a cold beer!
I'm taking the train to Manhattan the following weekend as the NYC show is better. More OEM's, more vendors, more fun and great food! There's room if you want to come along. The train ticket will cost you $150. We're leaving early Friday and coming back Sunday morning.
My DC show trip is a BDay gift from the wife. In that case 2 X $84 is a bit less attractive. I was thinking a weekend metro ticket would be cheaper than parking and a bit less hectic. If it isn't we will probably just drive since we could visit with some friends in the area anyways.
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #9017
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 1,975
Ah, well then, in that case you must take her for a pitcher of sangria and a romantic Spanish tapas dinner at La Tasca on 7th st. It's only about 4 blocks from the convention center by the entrance of Chinatown!

It's muy delicioso and romantico!

99.99% Guaranteed to work!

http://www.latascausa.com/site/locations/washington-dc/

The Cadillac Red Sangria and reservations both strongly recommended.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #9018
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwray76 View Post
I am going to head up to the MC show in DC this weekend to take a look around. We drove last year and due to construction parking was a pain. Someone had mentioned taking the metro in. Where is the best place to hop on the metro coming up from Richmond? Guessing it drops you off pretty close to the convention center?
When I've had to make my way to the capitol for business, I've preferred to park at Franconia-Springfield and ride the metro in. Franconia-Springfield is the most southern metro station next to 95 I believe. They have a fairly large parking deck. I cannot remember if I've left a vehicle overnight or not.

http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #9019
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwray76 View Post
My DC show trip is a BDay gift from the wife. In that case 2 X $84 is a bit less attractive. I was thinking a weekend metro ticket would be cheaper than parking and a bit less hectic. If it isn't we will probably just drive since we could visit with some friends in the area anyways.
I'm leaving to go up from Spotsy on Sat morning, you could meet me in Thornburg and follow to Springfield where the wife and I catch the Metro, you need to change trains to get to the Convention Center. PM me so we can work out details, bunch of us are going to the Capitol City Brewery for lunch about 3 - 4 blocks from the Center. If you don't want to tag along meet us at the C-14 in the Kaw booth at 11:30, where leaving at 11:45 for lunch.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #9020
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
Is there a MS Excel Guru on here? Having a problem hyperlinking a file to a network shared workbook. Have tried =HYPERLINK("url","name of file") etc and no dice. have Excel 2007. Web hasn't been much help. Any info appreciated via PM, etc

thanks,
j

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #9021
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,475
Southmost Metro stop is Springfield. Big Metro sign on I95.

Don't try to take commuter rail trains. They do not run during weekends
. Parking is free on weekends, too.

See you there.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #9022
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

HB 1850 Motorcycles; prohibits children under age eight from riding.

Read this: http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp...111+sum+HB1850

From Tom McGrath's Office:
All Virginia Motorcyclists need to be aware of House Bill 1850 which has been introduced by Delegate Christopher Stolle of Virginia Beach. It prohibits any child under the age of eight from riding on a motorcycle. If you have a child, grandchild, niece, nephew, cousin or neighbor who enjoys riding with you and is under the age of eight they would be unable to do so anymore if this bill passes. I know that many of you share memories like mine. My daughter and I have spent many hours since she was six riding at events such as the Vets ride, the 911 ride, etc. She has learned responsibility, charity and patriotism in part from her contact with motorcyclists and the motorcycling community. Delegate Stolle wishes to rob future generations of such memories.

The Virginia Coalition of Motorcyclists (VCOM) strongly opposes this bill. In an effort to understand the reasoning behind this bill, Jim Cannon and I met with Delegate Stolle this morning. He advised us that the bill was introduced at the request of the Chief of Police of Virginia Beach. The Delegate also clearly believes in this bill. His reasoning was that Virginia Code already requires children under age eight to be restrained when traveling in any motor vehicle and that this bill merely clarifies the code. He also felt it was a safety issue. Despite our arguments he held firm to his position.

Let’s look at the Delegate’s arguments. First, Virginia Code Section 46.2-1095 requires that any person who drives on the highways of Virginia any motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1968, shall ensure that any child, up to age eight, whom he transports therein, is provided with and properly secured in a child restraint device. (emphasis added). You do not place a child in a motorcycle. It is impossible to get in a motorcycle. You get on a motorcycle and therefore the child is being transported thereon not therein. As such this section does not apply to motorcycles. When this legislation passed not a single member of the General Assembly was considering motorcycles. If the delegate wants to clear up the code he can do so by adding motorcycles to section E of the statute which lists vehicles to which the statute does not apply, such as taxicabs, school buses and limousines.

The Delegate’s safety argument also fails. According to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles there have been fourteen children age eight and under injured as motorcycle passengers over the past three years. That is an average of less than five per year. There have been no deaths in the past three years. How is this safety issue? It seems to me that the motorcycling parents of this Commonwealth are doing a pretty good job of deciding for themselves when their children are ready to be motorcycle passengers.

I would urge all motorcyclists to call and/or email Delegate Stolle and voice your concerns over HB 1850. Delegate Stolle’s phone number is (804) 698-1083. His email address is DelCStolle@house.virginia.gov

I would also urge you to contact your legislator and let him or her know how you feel. You can find the contact information for every legislator at the following link:

http://lis.virginia.gov/111/mbr/MBR.HTM

It is of great importance do this now. The session is only 45 days long and this bill could come up in sub-committee soon. When VCOM receives notification of the subcommittee meeting we will put out another notification so that anyone who wishes to attend can. The more motorcyclists we have in sub-committee the more likely we can defeat this assault on the rights of motorcyclists. You can also follow VCOM on twitter @VAMotorcyclist.

I would also strongly urge you to attend Lobby Day this Monday, January 17, 2011. Come to the Capitol with other motorcyclists and tell Delegate Stolle and other legislators how you feel about this bill and other matters of interest to Virginia Motorcyclists. There will be a legislative meeting starting at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday January 16 at the Holiday Inn Airport in Sandston, VA. We will discuss all upcoming legislation and how to speak with your legislators. After the meeting there will be a free BBQ Dinner cooked by Stewart Newton. The next morning we will depart for the Capitol where you will have access to members of the General Assembly and their aids. After we speak with the senators and delegates we will go to Penny Lane Pub where lunch will be served compliments of Tom McGrath’s Motorcycle Law Group. I hope to see you there.

If you have any questions or comments concerning this or any other matters please feel free to contact me.

Matt Danielson
Tom McGrath's Motorcycle Law Group
1-800-321-8968
www.motorcyclelawgroup.com

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #9023
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Is there a MS Excel Guru on here? Having a problem hyperlinking a file to a network shared workbook. Have tried =HYPERLINK("url","name of file") etc and no dice. have Excel 2007. Web hasn't been much help. Any info appreciated via PM, etc

thanks,
j
Have you tried yelling, screaming, cursing, and throwing the computer across the room?

It doesn't usually work for me, but that's what I usually do.

Just a thought.
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #9024
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
I'm leaving to go up from Spotsy on Sat morning, you could meet me in Thornburg and follow to Springfield where the wife and I catch the Metro, you need to change trains to get to the Convention Center. PM me so we can work out details, bunch of us are going to the Capitol City Brewery for lunch about 3 - 4 blocks from the Center. If you don't want to tag along meet us at the C-14 in the Kaw booth at 11:30, where leaving at 11:45 for lunch.

Thanks, I am not sure what time we will be heading up but will look into springfield schedule. I will try to catch you at the show to say hi.
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #9025
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Read this: http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp...111+sum+HB1850

From Tom McGrath's Office:
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]All Virginia Motorcyclists need to be aware of House Bill 1850 which has been introduced by Delegate Christopher Stolle of Virginia Beach. It prohibits any child under the age of eight from riding on a motorcycle. If you have a child, grandchild, niece, nephew, cousin or neighbor who enjoys riding with you and is under the age of eight they would be unable to do so anymore if this bill passes. I know that many of you share memories like mine. My daughter and I have spent many hours since she was six riding at events such as the Vets ride, the 911 ride, etc. She has learned responsibility, charity and patriotism in part from her contact with motorcyclists and the motorcycling community. Delegate Stolle wishes to rob future generations of such memories.
This is getting ridiculous. They need to move on to something more important.

My little boy has had a dirt bike since before his 3rd birthday. By the time he is 16 he will better because of it. It's not just about riding motorcycles. It's life lessons. There will be others that follow. I'll teach him how to drive a car when he is 10 or so and a straight drive at that.

Those ding dongs don't understand this. There going to have to take me jail before I take his dirt bike away from him.

As far as I can tell the is no age limit for riding on the back of a motorcycle on the street, is there? I did get some funny looks the last time we rode to church together.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown

niceviewbehindbars screwed with this post 01-12-2011 at 02:33 PM
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #9026
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

several threads ago and not sure what to look for in searching for it (tried already) there was a guy demo'ing a new fangled wearble sleeping bag. Anyone have a link to that vid or the name of the bag?

thanks,

j

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
Old 01-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #9027
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,573
Quote:
several threads ago and not sure what to look for in searching for it (tried already) there was a guy demo'ing a new fangled wearble sleeping bag. Anyone have a link to that vid or the name of the bag?

thanks,

j
That was me.... REI featured the Exped Dreamwalker
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #9028
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
This is getting ridiculous. They need to move on to something more important.

My little boy has had a dirt bike since before his 3rd birthday. By the time he is 16 he will better because of it. It's not just about riding motorcycles. It's life lessons. There will be others that follow. I'll teach him how to drive a car when he is 10 or so and a straight drive at that.

Those ding dongs don't understand this. There going to have to take me jail before I take his dirt bike away from him.

As far as I can tell the is no age limit for riding on the back of a motorcycle on the street, is there? I did get some funny looks the last time we rode to church together.
I believe the intent of that law is to totally prohibit children under the age of 8 to be a passenger or operator of any motorcycle. At least, that's the way it will be interpreted as the bill is currently worded. (Note that this is a bill that will amend and already poorly worded piece of legislation.)

I would be very surprised if this bill finds any traction. Most likely, it was written as "payback" to someone who has an issue w/ kids on bikes. Still, it's worth a call or note to your legislator in the House.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #9029
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,667
HB 1850

It would seem to me that this would also outlaw taking kids on side by sides like Kawasaki Mules or even the family tractor if you went on a hayride down a country lane! I just sent off my email on this.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #9030
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
HB 1850

It would seem to me that this would also outlaw taking kids on side by sides like Kawasaki Mules or even the family tractor if you went on a hayride down a country lane! I just sent off my email on this.
I'm pretty certain that side by sides and tractors do not meet the legal definition of a motorcycle. Only motorized 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles...

Regardless, it's bad legislation and should be stopped.

I was goose hunting with some of our legislators a little over a week ago. Had I known about the bill then, I could have spoken with them about it in person. I guess I need to set up another hunt...