ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #9451
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Nice ride. Unfortunately, it had to wind up HERE at work.
No, it ends at home this evening. Just have to take an extended break at work
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #9452
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwray76 View Post
No, it ends at home this evening. Just have to take an extended break at work
You have a point there my friend. Hopefully, the rain will hold off until then.

Not that I have a problem riding in the rain. Give me an opportunity to test the resistance to water penetration of the Shoei Multitec I picked up Saturday. First new helmet in close to 10 years. Was about time.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #9453
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
Had my head buried is the sand lately working on a Dirtster hack project. I finally got this salvage bike back together and now I am on to hacking it. I never thought I would own a Hog but this thing is the most fun on 3 wheels ever!! I hope to have it ready for some ADV rides in the next few months.

**The car body is a Ural cargo box, I shouldn't have any problems hauling my gear around this little pick-up truck**

I'll post some more pics when she's a little more together

3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #9454
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,543
That's a really cool project!
Old 02-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #9455
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
Had my head buried is the sand lately working on a Dirtster hack project. I finally got this salvage bike back together and now I am on to hacking it. I never thought I would own a Hog but this thing is the most fun on 3 wheels ever!! I hope to have it ready for some ADV rides in the next few months.

**The car body is a Ural cargo box, I shouldn't have any problems hauling my gear around this little pick-up truck**

I'll post some more pics when she's a little more together

Is the hack's tire dia. the same as the bike's? Might get some strange handling if it isn't.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #9456
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,993
Quote:

Man, that's CRAZY looking!

I want to see that in person!!

SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #9457
HalfPlate
What? Where?

It's been a fun project. I have learned a lot about how motorcycles and hacks are designed and handle. Its very interesting what happens when you add a 3rd wheel. Made some progress tonight, fitted the cargo box and leveled the whole rig. Now I am just waiting on a few finnal parts and it should be ready for it's first test ride, mainly my radio flyer stickers. When you see the car body it makes perfect sense.

Somehow I feel this is going to turn into the beer wagon at the rallies
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
Old 02-22-2011, 02:27 AM   #9458
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's been a fun project. I have learned a lot about how motorcycles and hacks are designed and handle. Its very interesting what happens when you add a 3rd wheel. Made some progress tonight, fitted the cargo box and leveled the whole rig. Now I am just waiting on a few finnal parts and it should be ready for it's first test ride, mainly my radio flyer stickers. When you see the car body it makes perfect sense.

And firewood................
Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 AM   #9459
davet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Dirtster Hack

Looks like a really nice hack rig. I was thinking of doing the same thing, do you have more posts somewhere on ADV talking about the bike modifications (rear shocks)? Can't wait to see more pics. Thanks, Dave
davet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:09 AM   #9460
HalfPlate
What? Where?

More progress made!! She's almost ready

IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
Old 02-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #9461
Kyazak
Gamera!!

Oddometer: 105
Quote:

Nicely done. I have gotten asked before if I could carry stuff since my "blondi" has a sidecar, since to some of them "sidecar" means pack-mule, but its not too bad, you get at least a free beer out of the gig and there is that pro/con of having a 3-wheel as exampled:

"you don't mind carrying all of our stuff do you, matt?"

"nope, but you guys are screwed if you go too fast for me to follow, because I am keeping everything in the sidecar and drinking the beer if I get left"

JK, its a lot of fun having a 3 wheel beast, and IMHO, have a much wider range with her than a 2 wheeler (Not saying 2 wheelers aren't awesome fun when you want some speed)
Kyazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #9462
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,280
Back to officially being "The Rocket Powered Sofa"

As being the first real customer of "Guy's Garage", I felt obligated to make the first testimonial regarding his services.
As you may know, I recently purchased a '93 GSX-G; It has always been to me one of those "it would be cool to own someday if I came across a good deal" bikes. She was delivered to Guy in January with a very bad case of asthma, occasionally running on two, three or sometimes four cylinders, dirty carbs and needing some love. She has since had every single drop of fluid in the fork legs, motor, shaft, clutch and brake resevoirs replaced, carbs cleaned (eventually replaced via eBay), all filters cleaned/replaced, valves adjusted and given a good once over with a VERY fine toothed comb uncovering many issues that I didn't see.
Fortunately, last night the rain held off and I was able to ride her home. She idled beautifuly and she rode like a thoroughbred heading for the finish line. That 1100 GSX motor flies and now pulls like a pissed off freight train! 100 mph in third is too easy. I can't recommend Guy's services enough. He is very experienced, thorough, patient and his fee's are very reasonable. I am very happy that my bike has been made safer and ready for several thousand more miles by someone I know and trust.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #9463
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
As being the first real customer of "Guy's Garage", I felt obligated to make the first testimonial regarding his services.
As you may know, I recently purchased a '93 GSX-G; It has always been to me one of those "it would be cool to own someday if I came across a good deal" bikes. She was delivered to Guy in January with a very bad case of asthma, occasionally running on two, three or sometimes four cylinders, dirty carbs and needing some love. She has since had every single drop of fluid in the fork legs, motor, shaft, clutch and brake resevoirs replaced, carbs cleaned (eventually replaced via eBay), all filters cleaned/replaced, valves adjusted and given a good once over with a VERY fine toothed comb uncovering many issues that I didn't see.
Fortunately, last night the rain held off and I was able to ride her home. She idled beautifuly and she rode like a thoroughbred heading for the finish line. That 1100 GSX motor flies and now pulls like a pissed off freight train! 100 mph in third is too easy. I can't recommend Guy's services enough. He is very experienced, thorough, patient and his fee's are very reasonable. I am very happy that my bike has been made safer and ready for several thousand more miles by someone I know and trust.
Blush.........

Appreciate the kind words Eddy.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #9464
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Looking for a trashed engine

For those of you who do not frequent the Garage, Thumper, and Old School Forums, I have placed the following note in each of those. If such a critter exists in this immediate area, I'm all ears.

"Folks, I am looking for a trashed engine to use as a training aid in a motorcycle maintenance and repair course I am setting up. Ideally it will be a single, or twin, that has shim-under-bucket for adjusting the valve clearance.

"I do need one whose crank and the valve train rotates. Bent rod(s) or destroyed piston(s) is of no importance. I can pull these out. If valves are bent and seats damaged, I can “fix” this to the point that the basic procedure can still be demonstrated and taught. The transmission/clutch, etc. will be stripped out to lighten it up so it can be moved easily.

"I already have an engine (actually three) that uses screw adjusters, so that scheme is covered.

"Hopefully, one can be located in a state that borders Virginia so I can make arrangements to pick it up.

"Whatcha got???"

TIA
Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #9465
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
I got a locked up Suzuki 2 Stroke outboard engine.

Don't think that will be much good to you though...

The oil injection pump stopped working and she quit out in the bay.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote