ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #9736
KLTMAN
Aviator

Oddometer: 43
Flying Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Yeah, I know..... one reason why I don't fly much anymore. Back when I was flying a lot in the late '70s and early '80s, I flew a 177RG a bunch for $21/hour block-to-block. Loved that plane.
That make was noted for crow hopping, did you ever do any? I flew one to get my complex sign off. In our archer partnership, we charge wet, and with gas prices going up, that rate will go up, but as of last month, it was $60 per hour. Course, that doesn't include hanger fee, insurance, annual, etc. Still, it has been affordable and makes up for the straight roads on the obx. Nothing like a few chandelles and lazy 8's. Bike riding there leaves a lot to be desired.
KLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:23 AM   #9737
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,096
Anybody up for a short ride tomorrow afternoon?
I am going on a shakedown ride with my tent, sleeping bag/pad and everything else I'm taking on my trip next weekend in place. My 12V connector came in and I am curious to see how the GPS works in the map sleeve of my tankbag as well. My new "barn door" windshield came in and I want to adjust the angle for minimum t-t-t-t-turbulence.

Caution: I hope those of you who are going to the Maple Festival and Jeff's this weekend on two wheels have seen this: http://www.weather.com/weather/today/USWV0224:1:US

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 03-11-2011 at 05:34 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:58 AM   #9738
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLTMAN View Post
That make was noted for crow hopping, did you ever do any? I flew one to get my complex sign off. In our archer partnership, we charge wet, and with gas prices going up, that rate will go up, but as of last month, it was $60 per hour. Course, that doesn't include hanger fee, insurance, annual, etc. Still, it has been affordable and makes up for the straight roads on the obx. Nothing like a few chandelles and lazy 8's. Bike riding there leaves a lot to be desired.
Nope, never did........ intentional or otherwise. With the spindlely(sp?) gear they had, I definately see where it could get into that. I found it's manners to be quite good during landings.... even with some decent crosswinds.

EDIT: FWIW - some of my family will be in Manteo in May. Have a relative getting married the very same w/e that the Spring Fling is being held up in Wellsboro, PA. I was already registered and had a room booked, else I would be joining them.

Guy Young screwed with this post 03-11-2011 at 06:04 AM
Guy Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #9739
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Nope, never did........ intentional or otherwise. With the spindlely(sp?) gear they had, I definately see where it could get into that. I found it's manners to be quite good during landings.... even with some decent crosswinds.

EDIT: FWIW - some of my family will be in Manteo in May. Have a relative getting married the very same w/e that the Spring Fling is being held up in Wellsboro, PA. I was already registered and had a room booked, else I would be joining them.
I had my Private Pilot's license about a month and did a trip to Manteo. Kind of freaky coming in over the water with a crosswind. Going back home to Patrick Henry (PHF) I had to scud run since the ceiling was dropping. Not much fun in that situation. I have sufficiently scared the sh*t out of myself while flying solo to last a lifetime.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:38 AM   #9740
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
I had my Private Pilot's license about a month and did a trip to Manteo. Kind of freaky coming in over the water with a crosswind. Going back home to Patrick Henry (PHF) I had to scud run since the ceiling was dropping. Not much fun in that situation. I have sufficiently scared the sh*t out of myself while flying solo to last a lifetime.
Boy, can I relate to that.

I was flying over in WV one hot summer day and the haze was so bad I would have called it IFR. I was headed to Elkins before heading further west. I couldn't find the freakin' airport and the ADF was spinning around like a kids top. Eventually got my poo together and found the place, but on final I thought it was so ironic that there is a cemetery on a slight ridge just as you approached the end of the runway.

Figured I'd check the weather at the FSS there and was advised that going west was not a good idea. Game plan changed, so I told them I was going to climb straight up to 9000' in a spiral, and if clear, I was headed to Gaithersburg and to please activate my flight plan. I stayed in Rockville that night at my future inlaws. Some of the t-storms that rolled through that evening were horrific and I was a little nervous about just how well I had tied down the plane. Next morning we were met with clear skies, the plane was fine, and carried my future wife back to Lynchburg (VA).
Old 03-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #9741
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Rode into work this AM and after a 8AM meeting on campus I made my way back to our shop via some under construction roads and got my bike covered in mud from the deep muddy ruts and puddles. Who woulda thunk that this would make the start of my work day a happy one.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
Old 03-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #9742
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,096
Girl Scout Cookies!

My wife's girl scout troop is having several sales this weekend if you would like to stock up!
Cookie sales are as follows:
Saturday Chester YMCA yard sale 8am-12pm
Saturday Chester Kroger 10-2 pm
Saturday WaWa in South Chester at Jeff Davis and Woods Edge Road 10 am-2 pm

Sunday Sam's Colonial Height's 10:30-2:30 pm

Thanks,
Eddy
Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #9743
Smiziley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
I know I've been lurking this thread for awhile, but had no idea there were so many fellow pilots here!

I got my private in 99 in a 152 out of Charlottesville. Got my instrument in 2001 and worked on Commercial but never got it. Had some problems with other people landing with the gear up on the 182RG. It's gotten so expensive now that I haven't flown in 5 years. My favorite airport used to be at Lake Anna, but they've shut it down. Manteo was hella fun to land at, Kitty Hawk was fun too, but required a better performance (for the tourists). Oh and a 152 was only $47/hour back in the day!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #9744
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Ya'll be careful heading west this w/e

This is Dolly about 5 minutes ago. It was totally clear earlier this morning.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #9745
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiziley View Post
I know I've been lurking this thread for awhile, but had no idea there were so many fellow pilots here!

I got my private in 99 in a 152 out of Charlottesville. Got my instrument in 2001 and worked on Commercial but never got it. Had some problems with other people landing with the gear up on the 182RG. It's gotten so expensive now that I haven't flown in 5 years. My favorite airport used to be at Lake Anna, but they've shut it down. Manteo was hella fun to land at, Kitty Hawk was fun too, but required a better performance (for the tourists). Oh and a 152 was only $47/hour back in the day!
The bulk of my training was in a C-152 and then transitioned to the C-172. Did some spin training in the 152.

My first cross country was to Tappahannock and I remember the FBO signed my logbook, 'Arrived Alive'.

We'll all have to get together and talk about our check ride stories.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
Old 03-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #9746
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The bulk of my training was in a C-152 and then transitioned to the C-172. Did some spin training in the 152.

My first cross country was to Tappahannock and I remember the FBO signed my logbook, 'Arrived Alive'.

We'll all have to get together and talk about our check ride stories.
Mine was in a 150 (N11181) out of Falwell Airport in Lynchburg. Occasionally flew their Piper 140 and a Cherokee 6 (with my instructor aboard). Personally, I prefer a high wing aircraft.

After I got my Private (1976), in the minimum 40 I might add, I was just a w/e warrior flying when I had the opportunity. Then I found out in Jan. 1977 that I still had VA left that would partially pay for my C&I, but I needed hours. Somehow I needed to accumulate 200 total hours by Aug. 27, which is when my VA ran out. This is when I shifted my flying from Falwell's to Lynchburg Muni. I flew every day, sometimes in the morning, in the evening, or both. Definately on the weekends. I'd usually hook up with my instructor about every third day in the morning and he'd put me under the hood. I flew to more airports during that time and never saw the ground.

Most of the aircraft I flew during this time were lease backs, and that had me flying 150s, 172s, a Hawk XP, and the 177RG. Had one engine out during that time in a 172 just after I'd taken off. Still within the confines of the airport itself, fortunately I had enough altitude to swing around and come in on Lynchburg's other runway. The Lycoming had broken a camshaft. If that had happened at Falwells, I'd been in the high tension lines at the end of their runway. They towed me in and I jumped in another plane.

Sometime mid year I came to Richmond and took my written, and passed. I was a happy camper. Then in early August with about 5 hours to go before my check ride, I injured myself at work and couldn't fly. To compound matters, I changed jobs shortly after that and moved to Chesapeake, but was TDY in Richmond for 6 mos. I never did finish what I'd started towards my C&I, but it was a hell of a learning experience and one I'll never forget.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #9747
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

(IFR) 'I Fly Roads'...Got lost once over near Emporia, as a student pilot in the summer haze. I was looking for Wakefield Airport and no dice, so declared an emergency and I called ORF. They told me to climb to 3500 on a heading of 270. ok, did that. They kept asking me if I see the airport. Nope. Traveled a bit more on another heading and they asked again. Still nope. Then the tower calls back and says: 'Lift your left wing and look down'. Roger, Found it.
After doing some touch and goes at Wakefield and heading back to Patrick Henry had I just climbed out a bit more (when I was lost) I could have seen the James River and gotten back no problem. When you're a student pilot and the desperation factor creeps in all bets are off. Live and learn.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
Old 03-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #9748
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
(IFR) 'I Fly Roads'...Got lost once over near Emporia, as a student pilot in the summer haze. I was looking for Wakefield Airport and no dice, so declared an emergency and I called ORF. They told me to climb to 3500 on a heading of 270. ok, did that. They kept asking me if I see the airport. Nope. Traveled a bit more on another heading and they asked again. Still nope. Then the tower calls back and says: 'Lift your left wing and look down'. Roger, Found it.
After doing some touch and goes at Wakefield and heading back to Patrick Henry had I just climbed out a bit more (when I was lost) I could have seen the James River and gotten back no problem. When you're a student pilot and the desperation factor creeps in all bets are off. Live and learn.
I have to laugh. My first cross country was to Farmville, and I had one heck of a time finding it 'cause it blended in with the surrounding landscape so well. I eventually did and was told later that many students just come on home 'cause they couldn't find it. THAT, made me feel good.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #9749
KLTMAN
Aviator

Oddometer: 43
Lake Anna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiziley View Post

Lake Anna is still open, course, it is like landing on taxi way. I learned to fly out of Manteo in 2000, so got use to the wind. Got my instrument and I too was working on my commercial when one of my partners nosed her in on a short runway south of Danville (but in NC). Six months later, when our plane was back in action, I decided that I had gotten all I wanted out of the commercial work, stick and rudder was what I wanted, so I bagged the check ride and written. First Flight Airport is actually very tricky. Lots of deer and geese, but the winds get whipped around the monument and I have seen some nasty landing there as well as some crashes. There are days landing there that I am dancing on the pedals. I do love flying on the banks, it is never boring and I enjoy taking people up. If you are there, pm me.
KLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #9750
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,506
Off the aviation topic......

Just put some carbs I rebuilt on the Concours.

Oh.

THAT's how it's supposed to run!