ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #10261
Xamot
Fringe Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I was wondering why you kept playing with those pliers every time we stopped on the BRP ride we did a few weeks ago! Itchy pulling fingers I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
But I like pulling teeth...and replacing 'em even better.

Great to see you guys up at Morton's.Best wishes to you and your wife with the little one on the way.
Xamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #10262
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,403
How I spent my Easter w/e. Warning: Long and Boring

This was a post to a machine forum in response to a question I had on how to transfer dimensions from one piece to another when there were no ready reference points. I spelled out how I was going to do it and that garnered several responses from naysayers who said "you can't do that."

We pressed on. One fella's response and his subsequent one below made the most sense and we moved on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitno455 View Post
Oh- and use back gear :)
allan
And we did just that. Not sure why, unless it was to give me a nice slow speed to make a very controlled cut on the side of the register. Regardless, it worked and I wound up with a nice tight tappy fit into the bore of the chuck. Make that chuck number 2, for I fitted up two of them in the last couple of days.

The first one was a Shars 3-jaw. I wanted to replace my original 3-jaw that came with my lathe because it acted like it had seen a lot of use due to the amount of run out I was seeing. I can only assume it may have been the original from when the lathe was made in '44-'45.

Someone mentioned squaring off a piece of pipe to use as a spindle spacer to make facing cuts on the back plate spindle nose register when the plate was mount backwards. Rather than screwing around with a piece of pipe, I settled on using one of these:

It's 2-1/4 bore was just a smidgen too accurate and it wouldn't slip up on the spindle. Great! How do I open it up without any boring bars in the collection of tooling I got with the lathe? Using a little Yankee ingenuity, and ignorance (have an abundance of that), we managed to open it up so it was a nice fit. We used it in its stock thickness to face the register nose of the 3-jaw back plate (it worked), but it really didn't give me the amount of spindle thread engagement I liked.

I finished up the 3-jaw by making some light facing cuts on the land and bolted it up. Fortunately, the back plate already had the register cut and was pre-drilled for the chuck. Bolted it up and checked it against my "standard" piece of machined 1" rod and indicator needle barely flinched.

My next mission was to skinny of the collar so I would get better thread engagement for the next back plate I was about fit up for an independent 4-jaw. Except for the spindle threads, this plate was totally blank.
Using my new 3-jaw, I chucked up the collar in its bore and what was an ugly duckling turned it into this:

And wound up with this in the process:

I am sure the experts and professionals can "read" a 1001 errors of my ways in this pile of scarf (and the finished product itself), but hey!, in the end I wound up with what I wanted. For the very first piece I've ever turned, I think its beautiful.

Now for the plate that was the whole reason for my starting this thread - how to get from point A to point B without fookin' up the works. Even tho' I got a number of "views" on my initial method of transferring dimensions, I stuck to my guns and used my basic process.

I would like to point out that what I wound up with being transferred to the plate was never going to be what I was going to use as my ending cut. The whole reason behind my madness was to get close enough to where I could finish it up by slow controlled cuts and test fits.

And so it begins:

My back plate had an OD of 6.540" and the OD of the chuck was 6.300". By using my bore snap gages and digital caliper, the measured bore of the chuck was 5.1165". The spec. sheet for the chuck showed it as being 130mm, or 5.1181". Pretty damn good - IMHO.

This would give me an edge-to-register back plate dimension of .7115". I blued the plate and scribed off a line several thousands less than that. That would be my final cut limit for the land depth. I would then use Allen's recommendation for making the finishing cut..... and it worked perfectly. Admittedly, I had to reference the "How to use a lathe" book to figure out how to get it into back gear mode. Gimme a break - I'm learning.

The next step was going to be a real challenge. As mentioned, the back plate was totally nekked, i.e., no (4) holes for mounting the chuck. The back of the chuck was drilled and tapped for those holes, but how in Hades do I get those dimensions transferred?

Again referring to the chuck spec. sheet, it listed the bolt circle as being 5.71". Using my feeble method, this gave me an off-edge measurement of right at 0.415". Blueing the face of the plate at 90 degree sections where the holes would be drilled, I made my first off-edge scribe lines at the above distance at each of the 4 areas. Sheetz, now what?

Digging back into my Dementia-ridden brain, I remembered some old geometry stuff about chords of a circle. Making an initial reference mark on one of my off-edge lines, I used the following program:

Circle Calculator

to come up with the chord length from it, to my next off-edge scribe line. Distance measured, a line was scribed across it. I them "walked" this chord length off for the remaining off-edge marks until I got back to my initial mark. Damn!, it came out!!

The intersecting lines were center-punched, pilot holes drilled, and clearance holes popped in the plate.

I'd like to tell you that all the holes were dead-nuts on, but two weren't. Necessary "adjustments" were made and I am happy to say I now have a nice 4-jaw chuck added to the collection.

I was mentally hosed when I was done and rewarded myself with a sufficient quantity of Yuengling Lager to lower my stress level. Realize, this is my first real experience of using a lathe and having to make accurate cuts without having the knowledge/experience of proper tool placement, or even tool selection was challenging. Needless to say, it was a little un-nerving but somehow, we managed to get through it. I learned a lot and have a hellava mess to clean up.

Many thanks to all for your words of wisdom and support.

Guy

End of post

I really should have spent the time to correct a niggling coolant leak on my Connie, but I had it in my mind I wanted to get these two chucks fitted up. It would present a challenge I've never had to face before, so it was something I just had to meet head-on.

And the leak: MOB, if you're reading this, please bring in a couple of those o-rings tomorrow and we'll hit the bike tomorrow evening.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #10263
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,225
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
End of post

I really should have spent the time to correct a niggling coolant leak on my Connie, but I had it in my mind I wanted to get these two chucks fitted up. It would present a challenge I've never had to face before, so it was something I just had to meet head-on.

And the leak: MOB, if you're reading this, please bring in a couple of those o-rings tomorrow and we'll hit the bike tomorrow evening.

10-4, I shall do that......
still tossing up making a run south, you might be able to convince me
half day thursday, Blue Ridge camprounds thursday night/ hiawasse Friday...? roll home sunday?
I was gonna mention you do have 2 bikes......and the lathe, being cool and all, ain't "rideable"
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #10264
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,275
Guy,
Nice looking piece. It won't be long before you open "Guy's custom barbacks, GPS mounts, highway pegs and light bar mount machine shop"
Please tell me that you wear safety goggles while working around that metallic squirrels nest!...
Old 04-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #10265
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Guy,
Nice looking piece. It won't be long before you open "Guy's custom barbacks, GPS mounts, highway pegs and light bar mount machine shop"
Please tell me that you wear safety goggles while working around that metallic squirrels nest!...
Safety glasses in place and pony tail tied back.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/14/ny...-accident.html
Old 04-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #10266
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Happy Easter

I didn't get any riding in this weekend. Went and visited the Grandparents in SC. Was going to take the bike but it was raining cats and dogs Friday and I realized I probably did not have enough tread on my rear tire for that much highway riding.

Drove the Jetta TDi instead. Made it there and back on one tank of diesel. Averaged 47.1 mpg over 627 miles.

Ordered another rear tire this evening.

Hope everybody had a good Easter.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:52 AM   #10267
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,761
all i saw was shaft collars a few posts up and it made me hot.

Anyone going to LF?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:07 AM   #10268
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
all i saw was shaft collars a few posts up and it made me hot.

Anyone going to LF?
Jeez! Glad it wasn't a cock ring.................
Old 04-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #10269
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
Anyone going to LF?
Of course... There will be 3 or 4 of us leaving RIC around 10am on Friday morning. The weather is looking super..

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #10270
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
Of course... There will be 3 or 4 of us leaving RIC around 10am on Friday morning. The weather is looking super..
Pilot gas station 10AM on route 106 at intersection of 64 (roughly) . BillsburgGS and JHVA will be there.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #10271
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,761
thinking late afternoon from elkton on thursday or early friday.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #10272
MitchV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Is that the old Richmond Braves guy?
MitchV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #10273
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Teacher Says ...

"test"

I'd give it a C+. It's crooked and there's no bike in the picture.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #10274
MitchV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I swear I just saw a photo in this thread... it looked like the old Richmond Braves figure peering over the edge of a building.
MitchV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #10275
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Grading Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchV View Post
I swear I just saw a photo in this thread... it looked like the old Richmond Braves figure peering over the edge of a building.
You did. Now I have to give the test an "incomplete". Looks like his dog ate it or something.

And yes, it's Connecticut, previously of Richmond Braves fame. He's on top of the old Luck Strike building now.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote