ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #10486
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post
when I was in high school, there were quite a few kids that hunted/trapped, and I bought my first car with money earned on my trap line....
every morning during season, I would throw "schoolclothes" in my rucksack, head out the door, over the hill, and make my way along my trapline on my 1 mile loop to school (voluntarily took this route instead of riding the bus)...put all my days catch in a lockbox adjacent to the river which I crossed, and went to school. Sometimes I was carrying a .22 rifle, sometimes it was a .22 pistol, sometimes I had a .410 shotgun.
When I got to school, I changed clothes in the locker room, stuffed my gear in the locker ALONG WITH WHATEVER FIREARM is was carrying, and got my learnin' for the day.......after school, I reversed the process....My school mascot was the Beaver.... they had NO problem with us students doing what we did. Of course 38 years of apathy has a way with changing the thought process, and those of todays children.

Last year, the "students/parents" wanted to change the school mascot......ALUMNI (the GRANDparents) refused to allow it. Thank goodness.
M.I.T has a the Beaver as their Mascot. For those that graduated MIT that wear the ring also known as wearing the 'Brass Rat'. Nuttin' wrong with the Beav in my book!

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #10487
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,154
Thinning out unused/duplicate gear

Too much gear has accumulated over time:

Aerostich Darien Pants 36 Waist ($120): SOLD.

Arai Helmet ($80): SOLD

AGV Helmet: ($75): http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/2364386401.html

Tecnic Two Piece Leathers (46 chest/36 waist) ($200): SOLD.

Wife's Blue Aerostich Roadcrafter (one-piece) size 36 (She's 5'8"/130) ($350): SOLD

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 05-24-2011 at 05:44 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #10488
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678275

I is. Probably heading out early Sunday morning and meander around, eventually winding up at Rella's. May get here early to help out and sit around and shoot the poo like I usually do when I'm there.

I'm in.Be headed over after the Morton's Spring Fling Thing in Natural Bridge.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #10489
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
I'm in.Be headed over after the Morton's Spring Fling Thing in Natural Bridge.
Excellent. I see that you and Eddy both have sent a note to Mike (Pnoman) that you're coming.

Iff'n I don't see yinz before, we'll see you there.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #10490
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
If anyone wants a cheap bike that is a lot of fun, I am selling the wife's SV650.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686791
I suppose your gonna get her....er, I mean she wants a beemer
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #10491
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Excellent. I see that you and Eddy both have sent a note to Mike (Pnoman) that you're coming.

Iff'n I don't see yinz before, we'll see you there.
My initial plan of heading over early Sunday morning may change. I am seriously thinking of heading out Sat. afternoon and camp at the Meadow in Helvetia that night - pending an okay from Ms. Eleanor (I always call).

That way I can enjoy a good meal st the Hutte Saturday night, and still have room in the gut for Rella's good cooking on Sunday.

Decisions. Decisions.........................
Old 05-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #10492
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
So, a while ago I posted the Yamaha FZ6 with the full 3-case GIVI set and rack, and someone asked about getting just the rack and cases.
Well, the bike is now sold, without the cases or racks. Anyone still want them?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #10493
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
... In my Dad's day ( 1950's) he was on the Rife Team in High School and brought his gun to school. Today, well, you all know what would happen today.
I'm working on that.

We currently have over 400 schools participating in the National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP), and VA is a pilot state for the Explore Bowhunting program produced by the Archery Trade Association. Just this week, I was trained along with a number of county and city Parks & Rec personnel and State Park personnel on how to build archery parks. Additionally, we will be beginning a number of archery programs in these local and state parks. My belief is that Archery will be a gateway program that leads to greater acceptance of other shooting sports and hunting activities.

I'm also working on developing a statewide shooting sports program designed to increase awareness and competition in the shooting sports. We currently have 8 Scholastic Clay Target Program teams in the state. My goal is to have 20 teams in the next 2 years.

Virginia is not where some states are, but we've finally dedicated a person (me) to focus on shooting sports, and made the development of shooting sports a priority.

- Jimmy
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #10494
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,132
Laugh luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
So, a while ago I posted the Yamaha FZ6 with the full 3-case GIVI set and rack, and someone asked about getting just the rack and cases.
Well, the bike is now sold, without the cases or racks. Anyone still want them?
shoot a note to Teeter....He needs that!!!!
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #10495
Smiziley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
If anyone wants a classic ninja 250, this is their day. 3 of them on Craigslist today for under $2100. Started to send an email on one and the wife gave me one hell of a mean look and said she didn't think we need another bike right now. I could point out to her that the memorabilia she collects isn't the best way to spend money either but I'll save that for another time.
The day after I put mine on CL! Guess i shouldn't have been so optimistic in pricing.

Just remember man, It's always easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #10496
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiziley View Post
The day after I put mine on CL! Guess i shouldn't have been so optimistic in pricing.

Just remember man, It's always easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.
I'm still looking at yours and strongly considering it. I have a sweet spot for the little Ninja's and I think the only way to cure that is to get one.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #10497
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Ninja death

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #10498
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 11,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott P View Post
Chub, If you are lurking, I'll buy your lunch tomorrow if you ride up.
MD RTE thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #10499
Smiziley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
I'm still looking at yours and strongly considering it. I have a sweet spot for the little Ninja's and I think the only way to cure that is to get one.
I'm out of town this weekend for a friend's wedding but;

When you want, i've got the prescription. Let me know, I'm sure we can work something out.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:34 AM   #10500
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,043
What a weekend.... I was planning on riding all weekend, but the weather had me second guessing the trip. Friday I figured what the heck the weather man is full of it anyway. Headed west to Luray for the night, woke up bright and early Saturday. The plan was to pick-up gravel in Bassye then stick with it until I hit Goshen Pass. As I rolled ofs the mountain and into Mt. Jackson my GS didn't feel quite right, then as I went to pull away from the light in town she just died and would not restart. So there I am dead in the water with a fully loaded gs trying to push it in a stich and helmet. I got it back to a gas station where the diagnosis began. Problem = it tuns over great but will not fire, no warning lights, or problem displays. 1st is there fuel in it=yes 2nd are all the safeties off (side stand etc..)=yes 3rd this there oil pressure=yes, well there is oil in the sight glass and no warning lights !time to get more involved! 4th do I have spark=yes 5th do I have fuel pressure=no!! I did a little digging on the internet about the problem and figured it was the fuel pump controller. Did a little more digging and found a video showing how to make a bypass for the pump. I bumed some wire from a landscaper working next door, made the bypass, and she roared back to life. I couldn't believe I was able to pull this off, makes me more confident about this bike. Before I pulled away I figured I should call Mortons and see if they had the part, sure enough they did and off I went to Fredricksburg. Made it all the way with no problems. Went up to the parts counter to pick up the part, Seth in parts said why don't you go see service and see if they will give you one. Give me one??? So over to service I went and saw Stuart, yep its under recall and we can give you one and install it while you wait... I was amazed to say the least and in 30 min or so she was back together with the new controller. Way to go Mortons!! By that time it was 3pm so I figured all thing considered I would pack it in and by 4:30 I was home and headed out to dinner with the wife.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote