ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #10831
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,941
New pretties for the bike

So this arrived via UPS today:

So I installed it.

Thing is pretty solid. Made of steel, no aluminum. Bought it from narcossis junkie on stromtrooper.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:54 AM   #10832
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,619
Thats a nice looking bit of kit
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #10833
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Went for nice ride back out to the Buena Vista Area again today. it was really needed as work has been keeping me way to busy. The last 3 Fridays I have found myself working into Saturday morning. This week, when I woke up, I got a surprise of an additional 4 hours of work Saturday morning due to equipment failure. Stupid work.

So I make my way out 60 to 56. As I pass Wingina, I spot some sport bikes way at the top of the hill. Within a couple minutes I've caught up to them. I think, I'm not riding that fast today, just the speed limit. So I end up behind this group on custom sport-bikes, all wearing the same vests all the way through Shipman and past Oak Ridge to 29. They are struggling to negotiate the road at 20mph under the speed limit. The guy in back riding what may of been an R1 with 300 width tire and stretched swing arm, freaks out in every turn and clamps on the rear brake. At one point I pull over and wait a minute. 2 turns later I come up on the wide tire guy in the middle of a turn and he freaks out and almost locks his brakes. I then just hold back a bit and hope they don't turn onto the next section of 56 from 29. I really am fearful, because I doubt they would survive the first curve. Luckily they continued on 29 when I turned to follow the rest of 56 up to Montibello.

Here is the kicker, when at the stop sign waiting to turn onto 29, I was able to read their vests. I almost fell over laughing. They read "High Risk Riders" across the top and "Central Virginia" Across the bottom. I really feel sorry for this bunch of squids. They want to be in a club and be bad-ass on their bikes, but I don't think any of them have a clue how to ride. I am assuming one of them must of read about 56 on a forum and figured they had to ride it.

Oh, and the new skid plate makes a nice loud ping/bong when a good rock hits it.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #10834
Cycletech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
I was on 56 today at around 9. What time did you head up? Took a left at Wingina, then a right onto some gravel that loops back to Shipman.

When I got to Montebello there was a sport bike group from DC there. They were all standing around wondering how to get a broken Ducati home that one of the group had crashed.

Some pics from today

Kluge Estate up on the hill

And the neglected vines

Not much wine being made anymore

Columbia, VA

My meandering route
Cycletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #10835
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

I didn't leave Chester until 11:20 or so. It was about 1pm when I caught up to the high risk riders.

I turned onto some gravel near mile 50 of the BRP that connects to panther falls road. Hit it again before I left the area and came out farther down 60 as Swamp Camp rd.

I am just getting used to the big beast not being on paved surfaces. I just put the skid plate on Friday so I won't be so worried about stuff hitting the engine. Also, I'm currently running Conti trail attacks, which are really maybe 95%/5% road/offroad biased. It is about time to replace the front. Thinking maybe of putting on a Shinko 705 for a try.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:50 AM   #10836
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trambo View Post
I hope you don't have a CDL and drive an 18-wheeler...

would have to adjust the rule with that
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #10837
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycletech View Post

Kluge Estate up on the hill

And the neglected vines

Not much wine being made anymore
Trump bought that place. were there any grapes on the vines?
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #10838
Cycletech
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
Trump bought that place. were there any grapes on the vines?
None that I saw.

Lots of other foreclosed estates in the area. Very bizarre to ride through millionaire row, without any millonaires around.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #10839
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
I was on 56 today at around 9. What time did you head up? Took a left at Wingina, then a right onto some gravel that loops back to Shipman.

When I got to Montebello there was a sport bike group from DC there. They were all standing around wondering how to get a broken Ducati home that one of the group had crashed.

Some pics from today
Sorry we missed you, Chris. i think we saw the same bus, though!

We saw the Duc, too, but didn't stop to ask about it.

Gary led us on a 75 mile loop.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #10840
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:

Some pics from today
I've seen that bus before! Looks like someone stole the fender!?!

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #10841
Cycletech
Gnarly Adventurer

And part of the grille! I think that stuff is free though.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #10842
Cycletech
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey guys, I'm putting my Zumo 550 up for sale. 2 MC mounts, car kit, XM antenna. Loaded with 2012.1 North America maps, 2008 Europe maps, and routable World Basemap. Topo maps too, if you want them. Works great! Figured I'd offer it here before putting it out to the masses. Screen shot attached. PM me if you're interested.
Attached Images

Cycletech screwed with this post 06-27-2011 at 12:12 PM
Old 06-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #10843
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,742
Hey y'all. We are still on a great father/son bike trip. We are currently in Moab Utah. Rode the famous Slickrock trail and were really challenged. Really crazy stuff, it's incredible what that trail forces you to do on a bike. Let me say that a 625 is big for that and a kid on a new 250 really made his bones yesterday. Holed up in a motel for a clean and relax day after a good dual sport ride this morning. Heading to Poncha Pass in am. Who knows what we will end up doing, we had no plans on coming here. Later, Karl

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #10844
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
Hey y'all. We are still on a great father/son bike trip. We are currently in Moab Utah. Rode the famous Slickrock trail and were really challenged. Really crazy stuff, it's incredible what that trail forces you to do on a bike. Let me say that a 625 is big for that and a kid on a new 250 really made his bones yesterday. Holed up in a motel for a clean and relax day after a good dual sport ride this morning. Heading to Poncha Pass in am. Who knows what we will end up doing, we had no plans on coming here. Later, Karl
Wish ya'll had time to drop by Arrowhead Motorsports and see Fred (Hink) there in Moab. He's a piece of work and a true dual sport/off road enthusiast.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:22 AM   #10845
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,045
Who wants to ride on SAturday?

Is anybody up for a day of dual sporting with me this Saturday? I was thinking of leaving Chesterfield early (by 0700), heading West (about 2.5 hours by backroads of course!) and riding as many fire roads as possible around Forks of Buffalo, Alhambra and then head home before dark. There's a good Mexican restaurant in Buena Vista I plan to stop at for lunch! The fireroads there are gorgeous, no single track stuff, but really scenic with multiple stops for losing the Aerostich and cooling off in the river! Good smooth curvy road riding too! I'm no Jimmy Lewis and I will get lost a couple of times but anybody who wants to come along is welcome! (especially if you know more about the roads than I do!) Let me know...