ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #10876
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,737
I have been wondering, "what happend to that guy"....we had a good time at Kuba Kuba...

Sorry to hear it was medical.....are your plans for trans america still in the works...? Is the Ural safe and sound?
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #10877
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyazak View Post
Anyway, after that ended up losing my job, because, frankly, they didn't want to deal with me being sick, which was not a huge deal, as I was going to be leaving with my then fiance anyway up to northern VA.
It's called FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) protects you from losing your job for up to 12 weeks medical leave etc.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #10878
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Welcome back Kyazak and congrats on your marriage!! Glad to hear you're on the mend.Let us know when you're up for some riding...we need to get back to Kuba Kuba.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #10879
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,195
Did somebody say Kuba Kuba!? Just say the word and I can secure a couple of tables for another ADV dinner!

Glad to hear that you are on the mend! You know, some black bean soup, a Cuban sandwich, a thick slice of Tres Leche cake and a double shot of espresso will make you stronger!

I installed the bar risers on the GS a couple of days ago and the 15 tooth sprocket went on after work today. A short ride in the cul de sac made it immediately clear that she will be easier, more comfortable and more fun to ride off road! I can't wait for Saturday!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #10880
Kyazak
Gamera!!

Oddometer: 105
hells yes, let's do dinner again!

On a side note, with that picture? I was fat then, but now I have toned a little bit so now I would be considered "ultra-chubby"

The work thing.......They didn't out and out say it, but after I tried to get back, and I couldn't deal with the screens and everything they started being real B**lbusters. They revved up my shift to being there at 10am-8pm and then when I was out for various reasons, they heaped on extra work, and let the rest of my team go home early on some of those days. My friend steve told me that on one of the days I was sick, the entire team just, as he put it "left for lunch at 2, and decided they just didn't want to work the rest of the day" but when I was there, I got told I would lose my job if I was caught not working on our project. Rather than deal with their crap, I left, and am starting a new gig up here in DC for almost double the money!

Although the commute is hellish: 52 Miles EACH WAY. So I gotta get better at my maintenance skills. I have so far learned how to remove a blown tire, and replace it with my spare. I am working on figuring out how to mount and unmount my tires to rims, and I am also trying to pickup Oil changing and filter changing on the urals (Apparently their is a lot more to it than "Unscrew oil plug and drain")

going to The mountains this weekend in fact but I am free for another dinner or ride in Richmond when you guys are. Just remember, my baby is a big girl, and doesn't like to go over 55mph.
Kyazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #10881
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 933
WV Adventure

Hey Guys...
First let me say I'm sorry to hear about everything going on. Jimmy, our thoughts are with you. I'm right around the corner if you need anything. Jared ..... good to hear your up and riding again. :-) Kyazak .... welcome back and I hope everything works out for you.

On a happier note ..... I just got back from an awesome 2 day, 550 mile trip up into WV. We took 250 all the way to Huttonsville WV. 55 South to 66 around Snowshoe and into CASS. We camped at Whittaker beside a cage with 2 Grizzly bears and a tiger. Darn things sounded like they were hungry all night. :-)..

The second day all we did was seek out forest roads. From Durbin to Glady over to Spruce knob we hit trail after trail, up and down the mountains. After we found 33 we headed north at Oak Flat on CR-3 over the mountain to 259, I-81, 33 and home.

Ed, Greg, Mickey (where have you been Madstrom?) ..... I thought about all you guys and how much you would love that area. Ed, if there is still room on Saturday I may be able to go. Let me know.
chuck
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #10882
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Chuck, there's certainly room for more, only three bikes so far. It would be great if you came along as you are something of a fireroad subject matter expert! Still firming up plans, hope to have my sidestand up by 0700, head out on 60 just to make some time and then ride off road as much as possible until around 3:00-ish then b line home. (I'm already taking a little heat at home for planning on riding during a "family" weekend!)

I love taking the kids to Cass, they always get a kick out of riding up the moutain to enjoy dinner and the bluegrass band. I never saw any caged animals, that must be new, I've only been to Whitaker Station three or four times.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #10883
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Kuba Kuba ??

How about Kuba Kuba next Thursday July 7th ? The weather forcast says chance of thunderstorms but I'd ride thru a driving rain for that good stuff.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #10884
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
How about Kuba Kuba next Thursday July 7th ? The weather forcast says chance of thunderstorms but I'd ride thru a driving rain for that good stuff.
Is that the same as walking through Hell with gasoline britches on??
Old 06-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #10885
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Is that the same as walking through Hell with gasoline britches on??
Could be...DEPENDS ??
Old 06-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #10886
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
I'm in.............
Old 06-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #10887
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Jimmy called my house and left a message, he is still at MCV, no room number given. I would like to go by and see him if I can cut out of work a little early tomorrow. All he said in the message was "thanks for calling to check on me, thank you for the prayers, I am still in pretty bad shape but I thihk I'm going to make it, feel free to call me on my cell phone." He sounded either very tired or sedated...
Old 06-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #10888
Kyazak
Gamera!!

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I'm in.............
I should be game, gotta check in with the wife that we are not busy that day but should be good for a dinner!

On a side note maybe y'all can help her figure out which kind of bike she wants to get. She has been all over the map, from getting a little ninja, to getting one of the Spyders, so we are still trying to figure something out.

On another side not, what time do we want to meet up for dinner?
Kyazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #10889
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 933
Sat Ride

Ed,

Sat looks good. Madstrom and I can meet you at the Sheetz in Flat Rock. Just give us a time. Madstrom knows the area and I have a new VA topography map that I have been looking over very carefully. Forks of Buffalo or Alhambra are great starting points. The two areas merge together in the GWNP and look to be a lot of fun. Let me know if anything else pops up. Lots to do in that area.
Keep us posted.
chuck
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #10890
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyazak View Post
I should be game, gotta check in with the wife that we are not busy that day but should be good for a dinner!

On a side note maybe y'all can help her figure out which kind of bike she wants to get. She has been all over the map, from getting a little ninja, to getting one of the Spyders, so we are still trying to figure something out.

On another side not, what time do we want to meet up for dinner?
How about she get a Ural Tourist?

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote