ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #10906
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
You can change it back. The little drop down menu at the bottom. It was on the right on mine.
I can used to it here at home, but it won't load at work; little spinny thing just keeps spining with no other page content loading. Will need to check and see if the old/new is computer dependent.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #10907
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,744
Gentlemen,

Just got back into town. Left a Colorado and drove just about 29 straight hours (like a dummy) and got here at noon, boy did I need a nap.

Jimmy had a wreck? God bless him and his family!

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #10908
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,086
*Please note that I am not posting any information that Jimmy has not approved of, he asked me to update you and to ask for your prayers.

I went to visit Jimmy after work today. As mentioned eariler by Greg, he is very fortunate, it was not his time. He could have very easily been killed. In addition to many "small" fractures in his left foot and torn ligaments in his right thumb, he has a shattered right tibia, a fractured fibula, two injured shoulders, collapsed lung, torn diaphram which required surgery that night to remove his intestines and stomach from his chest cavity (He now has a line of staples from his sternum down well below his belly button.) Thank God no TBI (traumatic brain injury) It was in fact the dreaded left turning car in front of the motorcyclist that got him. He does not recall the accident or most of his ride that day. He and his family have a long road ahead of them.

According to him, the car driver's insurance company, Progessive Insurance, tried to do something very dirty and pressure his wife less than 24 hours after his crash!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 07-02-2011 at 03:26 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #10909
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I went to visit Jimmy after work today. As mentioned eariler by Greg, he is very fortunate, it was not his time. He could have very easily been killed. In addition to many "small" fractures in his left foot and torn ligaments in his right thumb, he has a shattered right tibia, a fractured fibula, collapsed lung, torn diaphram which required surgery that night to remove his intestines and stomach from his chest cavity (He now has a line of staples from his sternum down well below his belly button.) Thank God no TBI (traumatic brain injury) It was in fact the dreaded left turning car in front of the motorcyclist that got him. He does not recall the accident or most of his ride that day. He and his family have a long road ahead of them.

According to him, the car driver's insurance company, Progessive Insurance, tried to do something very dirty and pressure his wife less than 24 hours after his crash!
I hope he has contacted Tom McGrath and Matt Danielson. I suffered a fractured tibia (14 inch titanium rod in my leg) and a fractured fibula and can tell ya that after 6 years now it still hurts like a mofo.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #10910
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Gee wiz, get well Jimmy. That sounds really bad. Got you on our prayer list.

Some pics from out west.

4 mile area

Moab Slickrock

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-01-2011 at 06:48 PM
Old 07-02-2011, 02:28 AM   #10911
Cycletech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Same thing happened to me after nearly the same accident - car turning left in front of me. Laying in the hospital progressive came into the room and pushed some papers in my face to sign. Seems there was a "problem" because both myself and the cage driver used progressive. Dirty fuckers. Tom McGrath and crew took care of things.

Heal up Jimmy!
Cycletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:56 AM   #10912
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,318
Local Fella Finishes 4th. in the IBR

FWIW - Roger Sinclair (IrishSpanner) from Chester came in 4th. in the 2011 Iron Butt Rally. Both MOB and I have worked with Roger over the years, so we were rooting him on and following him on his non-publicized SPOT link. Rich was in constant phone contact with him throughout the event providing moral support.

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2011/15.pdf

Old 07-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #10913
Cycletech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Awesome! Roger is a good guy.
Cycletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #10914
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
FWIW - Roger Sinclair (IrishSpanner) from Chester came in 4th. in the 2011 Iron Butt Rally. Both MOB and I have worked with Roger over the years, so we were rooting him on and following him on his non-publicized SPOT link. Rich was in constant phone contact with him throughout the event providing moral support.

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2011/15.pdf

Thanks for posting that up Guy, I slept in late today because I was awaiting his call to tell me exactly how he finished. This rally was spectacular, there was about 1,085 miles and 1,300 points separating the top 6 positions, this was a recordbreking event, as the 3rd place rider actually broke the 14,000 mile barrier....Roger was not far behind, and did break the prior historic milages with his 13k+ ride. Having ridden "longggg" days, I cannot imagine how Roger did this, I spent many nights with him ON HIS CHALLENGE, in the middle of nowhere, listening to him tell me how it felt riding "in a lunar landing zone".....I am vry proud of him knowing any second he could be a part of the barren scenery in a flash, and being one of his sole "spotters" was a heavy thing for me, he didn't allow anyone to see his tracking, and when I watched him make virtually nonstop runs of 1,400 miles...I was in awe. When Ken Meese wrecked coming across Nevada rt 50, destined to be the winner, I was talking Roger thru a "moment" to keep him clear and focused, I feel a lot better now knowing that helped him stay focused, and alert. He never knew Ken crashed about 150 miles south of him. It took many hours to tally the points, and make the announcements, as scoring was so involved.

Roger was a mere 1,000 points out of firstplace, and he was at the checkin a half hour before the window...
final points and rider legs are here, click on each persons name to see thier prior scores on all legs...this was a close rally...
http://www.ironbutt.com/IBR/2011/html/3.html

a big "HOOO-RAH" goes out to him from us today.

MAN OF BLUES screwed with this post 07-02-2011 at 04:23 PM
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #10915
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

IBA congrats Dinner???

just tossing this out there to the locals, but anyone interested in setting up a little "din din", and b/s session to congratulate our local hero on his IBA placement?
I think it would be a cool idea, and a nice gesture, seeing as he hasn't had a decent meal and a beer, let alone talked to anyone here but me for the last 2 weeks, I'm sure he would be a fun person to glean his event thoughts from, seeing as he prolly won't be doing this again...or so he says..... maybe we can convince him to try......
Old 07-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #10916
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,011
Made i home safe

So I learned a lot today.

1. Conti trial attacks and mud don't mix.
2. Don't believe Eddy if he tells you a road isn't that bad. It will probably stop being a road.
3. Suzuki hand guards for the strom do work.
4. V-stroms will go anywhere, the only question is will the rider survive.

Everyone else came out OK and I was the only one to have a bike go to sleep. Madstrom does need a new shifter though. A rock broke the end off of his.

PIctures:

After I stood it back up and before anyone realized I wasn't at the back of the line. They figured it out when they came back for me and saw all the mud on the side of the bike.

That was pretty much the only spot of mud and my front tire slid out almost as soon as I hit it. Bruised my right hand but otherwise fine. The handguard is bent under the mud.

I'd like to thank, Mickey, Eddy Chris and JDRocks for helping me achieve a completely new appriciation for anything that qualifies as a road, be it dirt, gravel or paved.

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 07-02-2011 at 06:06 PM
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #10917
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
Gee wiz, get well Jimmy. That sounds really bad. Got you on our prayer list.

Some pics from out west.

4 mile area

Moab Slickrock

Cool storm chaser rig....looks like some great scenery....are those ram statues ....memories of a lifetime for sure
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #10918
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

No we lucked up on the three Ram. They we close and held still. We saw a moose, deer and a big elk. But the rams were very close and didn't move.

We saw three or four storm chaser cars one morning in Hays Kansas. Which is a good stop going across, it's got lots of stuff there, not like some of the towns out there. This car is the center of a TV series, my son says.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #10919
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,011
Mikey, Skychs and Eddy in front of me on 60 heading west.

The other videos will have to wait for editing.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #10920
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

wow..blast from the past

festival folk music show concert from newport 1963-1966....awesome....
direct tv 274 ovation network......serious good stuff...