ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #10921
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Mikey, Skychs and Eddy in front of me on 60 heading west.

The other videos will have to wait for editing.
you need a bigger bike, buy my C14,and mount the cam on the rear bag...and wtatch them fall outta site

MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:25 AM   #10922
Cycletech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Legends biker brunch

Kinda short notice.. Legends Brewery is starting up a biker brunch on Sundays. Starts at 10am and goes till? I'm going to head down there this morning, come on out if you can.
Cycletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #10923
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycletech View Post
Kinda short notice.. Legends Brewery is starting up a biker brunch on Sundays. Starts at 10am and goes till? I'm going to head down there this morning, come on out if you can.
1st Sunday of the month so as not to conflict with Poe's.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:36 AM   #10924
Cycletech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
You got it! I think the BMW club meets on the third Sunday, so now we need something to do on the forth.
Cycletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:36 AM   #10925
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,165
Man, my hands, back and thighs are sore this moring from riding! Overall it was a great day although I feel guilty about getting everyone VERY lost (for hours) in the forest! We rode some gnarly terrain including mud, big rocks that made terrible sounds when smacking into the skid plate and crash bars and we rode down a "path" which seemed like a dry riverbed with no traction, thank God it hadn't rained recently! I felt bad when Mickey snapped off his shift lever on a small boudler that was hidden in the tall grass, I could tell by the look he gave me that he wanted to sock me in the gut for enrolling him in "Eddy's GS Challenge" after he wanted to take us to Panther Falls to swim. He was able to zip tie a stick to his lever to finish the ride. Chuck is a stud who happily kept his fully loaded R1200GS upright while smiling, laughing (I could literall hear him) and jamming his music all day! We had the pleasure of meeting "JDRocks" from Matthews who showed up on a mean looking, purpose built Versys that looked ready for the Dempster Highway!

My only scare of the day (besides when I thought Mickey and Jeremy were going to beat me up and leave me in the woods) was when I lost the rear end on a sudden left turn on the gravel road along the Piney River while going way too fast for conditions. The rear tire swung right, I had my left leg out doing my best panicked impression of a flat tracker. I just knew that I was going to wrap the bike around the trees and go down 30 feet to the river and damage all the fancy German plastic. Suddenly, the sidestand and centerstand dug in and I managed to get her hooked up and powered back into control! WHEW! And the worst part?! Nobody with a camera was behind me!
Old 07-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #10926
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 917
Saturday Ride

Hey Guys....
All I can say is WOW! Im a little beat up this morning but not to bad. The 300+ mile ride yesterday was certainly the most challenging ride to date. Like Eddy said, what was supposed to be a quick run through the woods turned out to be a 3 hour ride from hell. From dirt, gravel and mud it turned into tall grass, tree limbs, sticker bushes and large boulders. Somehow the big old R12GS stayed upright and kept on going. Its too bad I filled up the SD card on the GoPro before we got to the most challenging part of the ride but I managed to get something from the event. If anyone knows how to post a YouTube video please do it. Here is the link. Its Eddy coming down from the very first hill we climbed. The easy one. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPS0AMQQ1ug

I think there are several more to come.
chuck
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #10927
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,006
a "mad" field repair on the 650 Strom out on that little used two track from Saturday's ride. the shifter end was clipped off like it had been sawn, didn't even bend the shifter arm.

hey, good as new...

thanks to eddy, mickey, stuart, and chuck for letting this old fella tag along.
had a grand time of it, including the back way around. the rat bike ran well all day, and got me home a little after dark, those LED lights moving the cagers out of the way.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #10928
skychs
chuck smith

Saturday Ride

JD.... it was a pleasure meeting and riding with you. Same to you Jeremy, Micky and Eddy. Here is a second clip. Sorry about the wrong date on the video. Yes, I know its 2011. Its only my third attempt with the GoPro. Im working on better quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9g2uWLI-jc
Old 07-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #10929
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
..If anyone knows how to post a YouTube video please do it. Here is the link. Its Eddy coming down from the very first hill we climbed. The easy one. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPS0AMQQ1ug

I think there are several more to come.
chuck
Just copy & paste the Embed code in Editor Mode...

Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #10930
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post
you need a bigger bike, buy my C14,and mount the cam on the rear bag...and wtatch them fall outta site

It's not the size of the bike that'll help you keep up with Madstrom.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #10931
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,343
KLR is finally running

After getting all the extraneous stuff (radiator, electrics, carb, etc.) mounted yesterday, I was faced with a no-spark situation after plugging everything up.. Given the fact that all the electric "clump" was removed during the top end rebuild, I figured I had a bad pin connection in one of the connectors. All that stuff had been loosened and greased up with dielectric grease a number of years ago prior to the attacked of the GDR. After doing test swaps with the igniter and coil (I have spares), still no spark. Frustrated by it all, I walked away and would hit it another day.

Today I jumped on it again... measuring signals from the pick-up coil and mag up at their respective connectors in the "clump." All were there. Looking closer, some of the wire colors in the manual's wiring diagram weren't matching up (do they ever), but one connector caught my eye. 6 wires in one; 5 in another. The male female housings were identical, so it was easy to misconnect things. I made the quick swap and BINGO.... fire in the hole.

Plug was reinstalled, aux fuel container's valve turned on, and hit the starter. Damn!! What's that noise?? It's alive and sounding good with no "bad" sounds coming from the engine..... or smoke.

Need to put all the clump's connectors back in their holders, re-dress the wiring, and wait for an order from Ayers for a couple of Tinnermann-type nuts that secure the fan to the back of the radiator. They were corroded and got torn up during disassembly. I've been billed so they should be here this up-coming week. Bike should be back on the road by next w/e.

Think I'll have a Yuengling.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #10932
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,165
I agree with Booni Booni! While on pavement, I was ringing my F650's neck bouncing off redline, using all 48 horses and grinding down the side and center stands and he just smoothly got smaller and smaller in the distance until he was gone! I didn't see his brake light come on very much. A 130 HP bike would have only led to poor form and a "point and shoot" method to catch up in the straights, nice riding Mickey!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 07-03-2011 at 09:10 AM Reason: Duh...spelling!
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #10933
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,074
The idea wasn't to keep up with madstrom. I'm just happy if I keep up when he is taking it easy.

Also in the video, I was able to keep up with Eddy and Skychs just fine. I prefer to leave a bit of following room though. Also at about 4:50 in my video you hear something grind as I go around a right hand turn. Guess I should put some preload back in my suspension. Not sure if it was the center stand or skid plate.

I just washed my bike and noticed that the bottom of the skid plate is definitely no longer flat. I'll get some pictures of the bottom later. I am going to remove it and coat it with some truck bed liner. Glad I didn't buy a cheapo aluminum one. Of course I don't think any of them were made for me to bottom out a couple hundred times in a day and not show some damage.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #10934
skychs
chuck smith

Saturday Ride

Mitchub, I don't have that icon on my Thread reply. I will keep searching. Wish you were with us yesterday.

Well, here is the final video I have. It was the beginning of the end .... right before we hit the good stuff. Eddy, the music is dedicated to you. Take the Long Way Home by Supertramp. It's probably the best video of the three. Im still working on the quality..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYZb_91c1AU

As for Madstrom and his 650 ..... Im not sure how it does it but I do know why I call him the Rocketman. Even with 100 hp I have trouble keeping up with him. Heck, I couldn't catch him and he had a broken shift peg. That should tell you something.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #10935
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Motorcyclist Killed While Riding Without Helmet to Protest New York Helmet Law

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote