ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #10996
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
At home, couldn't make it!

Jimmy
Rctr
Old 07-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #10997
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Nice meetin' the guys at Kuba Kuba. Good food and lots of it!

Nice friendly area. People walking by were very cordial and interested in motorcycles.

5 of my six Guineas returned to the coop tonight. One is MIA.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #10998
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
Nice shot!

I caught you out of the corner of my eye just as I was taking a swig of some "Smart A$$" beer.

Good time this evening.

The place (Kuba Kuba):

The attendees:

The beer (thanks for the intro Teeter):

The food (Kubanaso with Chorizo):

The interior:

About to say farewell 'til the next time:

T'was a very nice evening indeed.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #10999
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Had to Share this

This is a promo video for a new place opening up in Pittsburgh. My nephew wrote the music and it was performed by his band, Neighbours.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #11000
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
sorry I missed you guys tonight.

Seeing as the second Sunday is coming up I am planning on being at Poes Sunday morning. Hope to see some of you guys there. Thinking about a couple hours out East and calling it a day.
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:47 AM   #11001
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Great time at Kuba Kuba

Had a great time at Kuba Kuba's last night.The the fellowship and Kubanaso sandwich were fantastic ! Here's lookin' forward to the next gathering.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #11002
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Verde Cookout Feeler

Ok everybody, I'm thinking about hosting a local ADV cookout next weekend. If anybody is interested let me know what day works best - Saturday 7/16 or Sunday 7/17. Just post up your preference by the end of the day today and I'll tally the responses and make a decision tomorrow. I'm leaning toward Sunday around 1PM.

I'm going to grill up a mess of tomatillos and pork so we can gorge on tacos verde.

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #11003
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
Ok everybody, I'm thinking about hosting a local ADV cookout next weekend. If anybody is interested let me know what day works best - Saturday 7/16 or Sunday 7/17. Just post up your preference by the end of the day today and I'll tally the responses and make a decision tomorrow. I'm leaning toward Sunday around 1PM.

I'm going to grill up a mess of tomatillos and pork so we can gorge on tacos verde.

Thanks Tony. I think Sunday would be a better time for me as well. I'd also like to contribute a side dish - TBD.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #11004
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:

I'll be returning from a week at the beach that day.Not sure yet what time I'll be traveling a but slim possibility I might be able to attend on Sunday.Thanks for putting this together.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #11005
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

12 Deep Cycle Battery

Help - I need battery advise and I figure this group knows more about this subject than an R/V group would.

I have a 12V deep cycle battery that is about 4 years old and I have no idea how well maintained it was up until I acquired it (along with a popup camper) a few months ago. When I first got the camper I tested the battery and it read roughly 100% (about 12.6V.) and it powered our basic needs the first weekend we went out (without hookups) and a few other weekends (with hookups.) Now those weeekends we didn't use it other than for powering the little fridge in transit -- and at that point it should have been getting power from the TV (tow vehicle.)

I was of the impression that the battery would be charged when the camper was plugged into to an A/C outlet (which I did every night before a weekend of camping) and when it was connected to the TV.

Anyway, we ran out of juice after very little use on our 4th or 5th weekend camping (2nd weekend without hookups.) I tested the battery when we returned home and it was at 8.some odd volts which is technically way below 0% charge. I charged it using my 12V changer set to 2 AMPs overnight and it hit about 9V. I switched the charger to 6A the next night and it was up to 10.73 the next day (and at that point the plates were just becoming exposed because some of the electrolyte had boiled off.... I know I need to add some distilled water.)

Hopefully, you got bored and skipped all that. The real questions are 1. Do you think the battery is toast? And 2. Where can I get it properly tested?

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #11006
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Help - I need battery advise and I figure this group knows more about this subject than an R/V group would.

I have a 12V deep cycle battery that is about 4 years old and I have no idea how well maintained it was up until I acquired it (along with a popup camper) a few months ago. When I first got the camper I tested the battery and it read roughly 100% (about 12.6V.) and it powered our basic needs the first weekend we went out (without hookups) and a few other weekends (with hookups.) Now those weeekends we didn't use it other than for powering the little fridge in transit -- and at that point it should have been getting power from the TV (tow vehicle.)

I was of the impression that the battery would be charged when the camper was plugged into to an A/C outlet (which I did every night before a weekend of camping) and when it was connected to the TV.

Anyway, we ran out of juice after very little use on our 4th or 5th weekend camping (2nd weekend without hookups.) I tested the battery when we returned home and it was at 8.some odd volts which is technically way below 0% charge. I charged it using my 12V changer set to 2 AMPs overnight and it hit about 9V. I switched the charger to 6A the next night and it was up to 10.73 the next day (and at that point the plates were just becoming exposed because some of the electrolyte had boiled off.... I know I need to add some distilled water.)

Hopefully, you got bored and skipped all that. The real questions are 1. Do you think the battery is toast? And 2. Where can I get it properly tested?

Thanks!
Considering the fact that it's not coming back up to full charge, I'd say it's toast. Also realize, you're measuring the no-load voltage. Hang a load (even a light load) on it and I suspect it'll go considerably lower.

I would think that AutoZone or Advance Auto would be able to test it for you.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #11007
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Considering the fact that it's not coming back up to full charge, I'd say it's toast. Also realize, you're measuring the no-load voltage. Hang a load (even a light load) on it and I suspect it'll go considerably lower.

I would think that AutoZone or Advance Auto would be able to test it for you.

Thanks. I supect you're right about it being toast. I may get it tested.. or just buy a new one.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #11008
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 210
I would love to join the cookout on Sunday

I have to pick up the MIL on Sat. Tis would be the perfect excuse to get out of the house on Sunday.

On an entirely different note I just got home and am happy to report the 'stitch is still 100% waterproof.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #11009
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downer View Post
I have to pick up the MIL on Sat. Tis would be the perfect excuse to get out of the house on Sunday.

On an entirely different note I just got home and am happy to report the 'stitch is still 100% waterproof.
Even tho' the outer "skin" got drenched, I stayed dry.... even in a couple of the lengthy gully washers I went thru on the way home. I do what I normally do in stuff like that, and that's to get in the hammer lane and just go. Even passed a couple of Chesterfield's finest doodling along in the middle lane running around 55. Bike felt secure, so what the hey?

I do need to add a kill switch for my cruise control. The pod isn't waterproof and in stuff like that it tends to kick on by itself... which can get a little un-nerving at times.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #11010
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 210
For Active Duty and DoD employees-

I don't know how many of the above frequent this part of ADV but I thought I would pass this on. The USMC offers several riders courses at Quantico that you can take for free. Contractors are not eligible. The classes are 50 students and seem to be offered on a regular basis. The best part is they are free. The couple I can remember are Basic Riders Course, Expeieinced Riders Course, the USMC Sportbike Course and an Advanced Cornering class. I am sure the Organization would rather have some Richmonders make the trip to fill the class then have empty seats. If you have any questions let me know. Cheers.