ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #11041
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Finished up assembly of the last major acquisition for the barn yesterday - a NoMar tire changer. Like just about everything else in here, it's moveable due to the decreasing amount of floor space. I can shuffle it around, as needed, to keep it out of the way.

Mounted it on a 4' x 4' x 3/8" steel plate that have ball (transfer) rollers on the underside. To lock it in place when in use, I have a series of Allen head (set screw) jacking screws that I screw down. To keep the points of the screws from digging into the concrete and tearing it up, I've put some 1/8" thick pieces of flat bar that the screws contact when in the down position. This also spreads out the loading and helps insure the plate won't budge.

Will try it out later today on a couple of spare Connie and KLR wheels so I can learn the proper technique for it's use.

All pix of this last project in the last pages of:

http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project/11686385_YA8pi

Guy,

You didn't bolt that thing to the floor? I have one and it needs to be secured to something or changing a tire is going to be a b*tch.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #11042
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
Help - I need battery advise and I figure this group knows more about this subject than an R/V group would.

I have a 12V deep cycle battery that is about 4 years old and I have no idea how well maintained it was up until I acquired it (along with a popup camper) a few months ago. When I first got the camper I tested the battery and it read roughly 100% (about 12.6V.) and it powered our basic needs the first weekend we went out (without hookups) and a few other weekends (with hookups.) Now those weeekends we didn't use it other than for powering the little fridge in transit -- and at that point it should have been getting power from the TV (tow vehicle.)

I was of the impression that the battery would be charged when the camper was plugged into to an A/C outlet (which I did every night before a weekend of camping) and when it was connected to the TV.

Anyway, we ran out of juice after very little use on our 4th or 5th weekend camping (2nd weekend without hookups.) I tested the battery when we returned home and it was at 8.some odd volts which is technically way below 0% charge. I charged it using my 12V changer set to 2 AMPs overnight and it hit about 9V. I switched the charger to 6A the next night and it was up to 10.73 the next day (and at that point the plates were just becoming exposed because some of the electrolyte had boiled off.... I know I need to add some distilled water.)

Hopefully, you got bored and skipped all that. The real questions are 1. Do you think the battery is toast? And 2. Where can I get it properly tested?

Thanks!
Wife and I have a 30' RV, from experience I would say the battey is dead, BTW, I keep my rig on a Battery Tender when not plugged into to the truck or shore power, keeps it fresh and ready to go at all times, I do check the acid level monthly as well.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #11043
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
Guy,

You didn't bolt that thing to the floor? I have one and it needs to be secured to something or changing a tire is going to be a b*tch.
Yea, I got mine bolted to the floor too.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #11044
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
Yea, I got mine bolted to the floor too.
We'll find that out this evening. Doing a rear tire on a Nomad.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #11045
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Is anyone meeting to ride up to Morton's Friday morning? It looks like the weather is going to be nice and a lot cooler.

I was going to head up around 0700 on Friday morning.

Also, is anyone going to the BMW MOA National Rally up in PA in two weeks? I thought about going just to see what one was like. It has to be better than the Wing Ding rally.

No, unfortunately, it's the same week as my family trip to Nags Head.

Eddy ..... I may be interested in going back up there but I need to look into a better skid plate on the GS.

Just say when, also interested in doing a overnighter up aroud Cass this Fall when it gets cooer.
See above
Old 07-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #11046
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 938
Camper Battery

Thanks all for the advice. I concur that the original battery is probably toast. I picked up a new one on Friday plus a good microprocessor controlled automatic charger that will hopefully help extend it's life span.

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #11047
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Morton's

I'm going to be leaving Friday about 7am as well to head up to Morton's Off Road Riding Class.Probably just slab it up 95N.If anyone wants to meet up at Meadowbrook Plaza on Hopkins Road at 7-7:15 am to ride together just lemme know.

On another note I'm planning to ride up to the BMW MOA Rally in Bloomsburg PA the following week.I have a room-Ed Andrews invited me to utilize a room in an apartment he's rented on Bloomsburg University Campus.I think he'll be at the Off Road Class on July 15.We can talk then.There may be space Chuck.

Finally I want to get in on that 2nd "Eddy's Off Road Challenge" too.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #11048
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,913
Want to offer congratulations

Just wanted to offer Badge #817 my heartfelt congratulations on your acceptance to the academy. Great job. You have chosen a noble profession and I salute you. Good luck with the training.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 08:09 AM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #11049
Mbarr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
First Post - Introduction

I wanted to introduce myself. I have been lurking on this site since last fall after buying my first motorcycles (I waited a long time). I did join a couple of you guys on Jan 1st on a trip to Wasabi's in Williamsburg and did take a trip to the Monterey Maple Festival with Eddie in March. I would have joined some of you a couple of weeks ago on Eddie's Big Offroad Adventure, but I sold my F650 to Eddie in April (big mistake and I miss my bike). I still have the Bonneville, however.. I am a longtime Richmonder and have a large appetite for sports cars and motorcycles (fortunately, I have a very understanding wife). I told Eddie that I would post a couple of pictures of my first dirt bike trip to Denver two weeks ago (if I can figure out how to post a picture). I am used to riding dirt bikes with my 9 year old son (me on a Honda 100xr and him of a CRF 50) so the KTM 450 was quite a challenge in the mountains.

I did want to mention that I was at the Harley dealership near Ashland yesterday and saw an 2006 F650GS w/15,000 miles that has Pelican bags, Givi topcase, extra lights, crash bars, hand guards and a tall windscreen for $4,500 in anyone needs/wants a dual purpose bike. It was just traded in on Sat. I would have bought it buy I don't care for red.

Anyway, would love to tag along on some rides, sometime.

Mike
Mbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #11050
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Hi Mbarr, Bonnies rule

Old 07-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #11051
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,064
Damn Mike, it's about time! We need to get another dual sport under you and have you come with us on our forest road rides!

That sounds like a good deal on that GS, you could always buy it and spend $100 to have Maaco spray it whatever color you want, or even better, get it sprayer with that tough looking, Rhino Liner!

I'll show you how to post pics, you will need either a Smugmug, Snapfish or any other picture sharing account. It's easy...
Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #11052
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,740
Mbarr,

Check out Smugmug for a way to post and save pictures easy. I waited to long to join that site but it's owned by the same guy that owns this site.

Don't be shy. Oh I saw one of those popular BMW 650s at the Harley shop just above Greentop if anyone is interested.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #11053
dillinger09
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Moving to Richmond

Hey guys,

I'm a fellow Virginian, moving back to the area next week. I've been fortunate enough to live in the beautiful state of CO for the last 5 years, but the wife has decided it's time to head back and start a family. So, I'll be looking to meet up for some rides (only trails, I have a KTM 300 XCW). Also, looking for any tips on riding areas or clubs. I look forward to meeting some of you

“If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” ~Bruce Lee

"What have we learned in this thread?

People who wear full faced helmets with tinted visors are aliens and can't scare teen aged girls at stop lights."-Fleg
dillinger09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #11054
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
Glad to hear you're coming. I have no preference on a side dish.. maybe some sort of rice?
Rice it is. In keeping with the theme, Spanish Rice at that.

You want it mild, medium, or hot??
Old 07-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #11055
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

JHVA dropped by Sunday to pick up some boots for the Morton's off-road class. He was driving his red "B." Gawd, what a sweet little car!!!

Almost makes me go out and find another GT. Key word - "almost!!"