ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #11161
MitchV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Uh oh...

I rode up to WV for work this week... at this moment, I'm not so sure I'll be riding back: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post16441586

Besides the ABS fault, I don't see anything wrong with the bike. It could all be in my head, but I swear it feels like my back tire is slipping on ice when I lean to take the slightest curve. I just don't feel stable.

Any ideas/advice? I was having a blast on the WV roads Sunday - Tuesday... until my little incident.

Eddy - I haven't told Nora yet... I hope she never needs to know!
MitchV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #11162
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchV View Post
I rode up to WV for work this week... at this moment, I'm not so sure I'll be riding back: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post16441586

Besides the ABS fault, I don't see anything wrong with the bike. It could all be in my head, but I swear it feels like my back tire is slipping on ice when I lean to take the slightest curve. I just don't feel stable.

Any ideas/advice? I was having a blast on the WV roads Sunday - Tuesday... until my little incident.

Are you sure you didn't get chain lube on the tire?

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. Nothing on the tires?

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #11163
MitchV
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
Are you sure you didn't get chain lube on the tire?
Thanks for that.... it's been really stressful in the office this week and my favorite mode for relaxation hasn't been too relaxing. The laugh felt good.

Quote:
Nothing on the tires?
Nothing that I can see... I felt both the front and rear and didn't notice anything.

/shrug
Old 07-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #11164
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:

Are you sure your pressure gauge is accurate?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #11165
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,862
On a BMW the abs warning light could be a warning that your final drive is getting excessive play and causing the ABS sensor to get wonky readings . Its not unheard of for a BMW final drive to fail, so it's worth checking out. See if the back wheel has any play in it.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #11166
MitchV
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Are you sure your pressure gauge is accurate?
I believe so. I checked my tires before I left and questioned my gauge when I found my front tire low... I took it to a local shop and they got the same reading with their gauge (and put some more air in my tires)..
Old 07-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #11167
MitchV
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
On a BMW the abs warning light could be a warning that your final drive is getting excessive play and causing the ABS sensor to get wonky readings . Its not unheard of for a BMW final drive to fail, so it's worth checking out. See if the back wheel has any play in it.
Unfortunately, I don't have a center stand or a lift available. I sat on the bike, shifted my weight around, and tugged on it while standing behind it.... I know it wouldn't reveal much unless something was undeniably loose, but I didn't see anything that would indicate a problem.

I looked for any kind of lubrication spilling out on the rear wheel and didn't see anything there either.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #11168
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't have a center stand or a lift available. I sat on the bike, shifted my weight around, and tugged on it while standing behind it.... I know it wouldn't reveal much unless something was undeniably loose, but I didn't see anything that would indicate a problem.

I looked for any kind of lubrication spilling out on the rear wheel and didn't see anything there either.
I would think that even without a center stand you should be able the grab the wheel from the side at the 3 & 9 o'clock positions and try to twist/rock the wheel back and forth so see if there is any play.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #11169
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,948
Mitch, I don't know if I would ait to going to a shop to get air

I won't claim to know anything about BMWs. Anyone have an idea where the wheel sensors are. I'm wondering if you knocked one loose maybe.

On another note, glad your making some progress Jimmy.

I was reminded how stupid people are when driving today.

Dude backed into my car while I was at the pump. Said he didn't see my car.

Of course if he looked his mirror he would of seen me. He was in the white pick-up on the right.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #11170
MitchV
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I would think that even without a center stand you should be able the grab the wheel from

the side at the 3 & 9 o'clock positions and try to twist/rock the wheel back and forth so see if there is any play.
I ran outside to see what would happen... I tugged as hard as I could and felt no play or looseness. I rolled the bike back to turn the wheel and tried the same from different sides - I still felt nothing I could detect

I tugged on the brakes - front wheel was rock-solid. I felt the rear brake give... hardly noticable (maybe a millimeter), but it wasn't as secure as the front.

Thanks for the ideas...
Old 07-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #11171
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
I ran outside to see what would happen... I tugged as hard as I could and felt no play or looseness. I rolled the bike back to turn the wheel and tried the same from different sides - I still felt nothing I could detect

I tugged on the brakes - front wheel was rock-solid. I felt the rear brake give... hardly noticable (maybe a millimeter), but it wasn't as secure as the front.

Thanks for the ideas...
Since you had a fall before the ABS lights started flashing, verify that the lever on the bar and the foot lever are completely returning. If there is anything hanging up the lever when you turn the ignition on and the ABS system self checks I think you can get ABS warnings. I know the GS's had an issue where the hand guards would keep the lever from returning fully and give an ABS fault at start up.

If you were tugging on the calipers, they usually have a little give to them since they typically float on pins.

With no signs of oil, and no noticeable play in the rear end I'm thinking you might just be feeling a little skittish from your drop?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #11172
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,050
Mitch, I can come over tommorow and check the final drive with you.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #11173
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,857
I had a 2001 R1200C (bought new) that had the final drive go out after 40k miles but there was definitely a fluid trail on the rear wheel. Also had the abs module go kaput, so rode it for the last 2 yrs I had it with no abs. Traded the bike in at a BMW dealership toward my GS and now an ADVer has the R12C and happy with it. Bike when traded had 80k miles.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #11174
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
Thanks, iIt's on my to do list and the car, both this week.

By the way are you still running the Informer XL themometer? Do you have any pictures of how you mounted it to the RAM Mount? I'm getting ready to order one now for this Fall/Winter riding.
Here you go. The thermostat has industrial double sticky tape to hold it to that flat plate. I believe it was a camera mount. But I can't remember. I ordered the informer right from the manufacture. I asked them about the waterproofness, he said it's all sealed but to put some silcone on the temp prob connection.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown

niceviewbehindbars screwed with this post 07-20-2011 at 08:18 PM
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:35 AM   #11175
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Thanks Graham. You have this one correct? Do you have it connected to a switched source or staight to the battery?

INFORMER XL Thermometer - with BLUE or RED LED Displays
SKU: 400

Large Super Bright BLUE or RED LED Displays. Self Dimming for EZ Night Viewing. -99 to 150F ( -72 to 65C ) User selectable.
Ice Warning feature. Display Flashs ICE when the temperature reaches 34F. Includes a 10' plug in sensor. Requires 12vdc.
Size 3" x 1 3/4" x 1 1/4"
LIFE TIME WARRANTY*
* Excluding Abuse & Sensor Cable
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Price: $86.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
Here you go. The thermostat has industrial double sticky tape to hold it to that flat plate. I believe it was a camera mount. But I can't remember. I ordered the informer right from the manufacture. I asked them about the waterproofness, he said it's all sealed but to put some silcone on the temp prob connection.

MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote