ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011, 04:38 AM   #11176
MitchV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Since you had a fall before the ABS lights started flashing, verify that the lever on the bar and the foot lever are completely returning. If there is anything hanging up the lever when you turn the ignition on and the ABS system self checks I think you can get ABS warnings. I know the GS's had an issue where the hand guards would keep the lever from returning fully and give an ABS fault at start up.

If you were tugging on the calipers, they usually have a little give to them since they typically float on pins.

With no signs of oil, and no noticeable play in the rear end I'm thinking you might just be feeling a little skittish from your drop?
I'll check the levers this morning... I rode a little and attempted a couple of quick stops yesterday - everything felt okay.

It may very well be in my head - I think that is the prevailing diagnosis in the Chromeheads forum. I'll see how the bike feels this morning.

Thanks again!
MitchV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:42 AM   #11177
MitchV
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Mitch, I can come over tommorow and check the final drive with you.
I appreciate it Eddy, but I'm a few hours away from home right now (Charles Town, WV). Unless I feel completely unsafe this morning, I'm going to try to drop by Morton's on the way home tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:46 AM   #11178
MitchV
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
I had a 2001 R1200C (bought new) that had the final drive go out after 40k miles but there was definitely a fluid trail on the rear wheel. Also had the abs module go kaput, so rode it for the last 2 yrs I had it with no abs. Traded the bike in at a BMW dealership toward my GS and now an ADVer has the R12C and happy with it. Bike when traded had 80k miles.
Yeah... I've read a lot of similar stories in the chromeheads forums. I see no fluid trail and those guys seem to think the ABS fault may be fixed with a computer reset.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2011, 05:06 AM   #11179
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
Thanks Graham. You have this one correct? Do you have it connected to a switched source or staight to the battery?

INFORMER XL Thermometer - with BLUE or RED LED Displays
SKU: 400

Large Super Bright BLUE or RED LED Displays. Self Dimming for EZ Night Viewing. -99 to 150F ( -72 to 65C ) User selectable.
Ice Warning feature. Display Flashs ICE when the temperature reaches 34F. Includes a 10' plug in sensor. Requires 12vdc.
Size 3" x 1 3/4" x 1 1/4"
LIFE TIME WARRANTY*
* Excluding Abuse & Sensor Cable
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Price: $86.00

Yes, that's the one. But you may want to look at some others they have. I see they have some new ones that don't require 12v and last 1 year on a AA battery. I have a Centech AP-2 fuse bock that is switched with the ignition. So when the key is on, the thermometer comes on.

This is a post I did when I first installed it. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=103

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown

niceviewbehindbars screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 05:16 AM
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:21 AM   #11180
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchV View Post
I rode up to WV for work this week... at this moment, I'm not so sure I'll be riding back: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post16441586

Besides the ABS fault, I don't see anything wrong with the bike. It could all be in my head, but I swear it feels like my back tire is slipping on ice when I lean to take the slightest curve. I just don't feel stable.

Any ideas/advice? I was having a blast on the WV roads Sunday - Tuesday... until my little incident.

Eddy - I haven't told Nora yet... I hope she never needs to know!
My 0.02 worth.......the rear final drive assembly bearings have gone or getting ready to go north to a cooler climate. Get a truck/trailer and get the bike home and have the unit rebuilt.

kwn306 screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 07:09 AM
kwn306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:31 AM   #11181
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,147
$90 for a thermometer? Really? Am I missing something? What's wrong with this $6 option?

http://www.rei.com/product/408047/rei-zip-o-gauge-thermometer?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-408047&mr:trackingCode=A0A515C2-B849-E011-AFD7-001517384908&mr:referralID=NA

Quote:
Thanks Graham. You have this one correct? Do you have it connected to a switched source or staight to the battery?

INFORMER XL Thermometer - with BLUE or RED LED Displays
SKU: 400

Large Super Bright BLUE or RED LED Displays. Self Dimming for EZ Night Viewing. -99 to 150F ( -72 to 65C ) User selectable.
Ice Warning feature. Display Flashs ICE when the temperature reaches 34F. Includes a 10' plug in sensor. Requires 12vdc.
Size 3" x 1 3/4" x 1 1/4"
LIFE TIME WARRANTY*
* Excluding Abuse & Sensor Cable
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Price: $86.00

Old 07-21-2011, 06:39 AM   #11182
Cycletech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
Here you go. The thermostat has industrial double sticky tape to hold it to that flat plate. I believe it was a camera mount. But I can't remember. I ordered the informer right from the manufacture. I asked them about the waterproofness, he said it's all sealed but to put some silcone on the temp prob connection.

Graham,

Why not use your Garmin for weather/temp? Is it a 665 or 660?

Chris
Cycletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:12 AM   #11183
EntropyKat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Cause he's my dad, and that's what he does ;) And we just don't tell my mom...

Quote:
EntropyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #11184
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
$90 for a thermometer? Really? Am I missing something? What's wrong with this $6 option?

http://www.rei.com/product/408047/re...:referralID=NA
Eddie, Eddie, Eddie.........shame on you Half the fun of an Adventure Bike is farkling it and not necessarly with a $6 thermometer either. The fellow with the most expensive toy wins

BTW, my Stelvio & F650GS has a thermometer built into the computer, my 03 Concours uses what is called an AFG (a$$ freezing guage), when my a$$ begins to freeze, it's below 20 degrees F and it time to get off the friggin bike.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #11185
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Quote:
Yea, i know.. I'm kind of strange about knowing the temp outside. I have a Davis wireless weather station on my house. Rain bucket, wind vane, fan aspirated radiation shield..I can tell you the avg temp, rainfall, or the prevailing wind for the last 5 years.

My data is even on the net. http://classic.wunderground.com/weat...p?ID=KVAWESTP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycletech View Post
Graham,

Why not use your Garmin for weather/temp? Is it a 665 or 660?

Chris
When I got the thermometer I didn't have my 665. There are many istances when the 665 is not 100% correct though. ie.. Ridding the BRP in mid Janurary, the 665 picks up the closest town which is 40* but its 30 up here. May need to watch for ice. I know its a bit anal.

But you should also know that I build snow machines.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown

niceviewbehindbars screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 08:13 AM
Old 07-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #11186
Cycletech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Cool snow machine! A friend of mine used to do that to his backyard in the fan. Much smaller area though.

Do you use the GXM40 with the 665? If you get the WX XM Weather it may give you everything you need want to know. Depends on the GPS and what it can process though.
Cycletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #11187
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycletech View Post
Cool snow machine! A friend of mine used to do that to his backyard in the fan. Much smaller area though.

Do you use the GXM40 with the 665? If you get the WX XM Weather it may give you everything you need want to know. Depends on the GPS and what it can process though.
Yep, got XM music and weather. The radar is the neatest feature.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #11188
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,411
Well for starters, I ride 12 months a year and have been known to ride in some pretty cold weather. It's really nice to know when I am in or near freezing temps so I can adjust my riding style accordingly. I've done a lot of research and most thermometers are not really water/weather proof or reliable enough to trust them to differentiate between 35 and 32. One oops would make an accurate $86.00 thermometer look cheap. But that's just my opinion. This thermometer has a lifetime guarantee and is 100 percent made in the USA (Sparks Nevada). They have been in business for 26 years.

Here are a couple of the rides I've made during the winter:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...light=madstrom

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=minnehaha

Quote:
MADSTROM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #11189
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Quote:
Well for starters, I ride 12 months a year and have been known to ride in some pretty cold weather. It's really nice to know when I am in or near freezing temps so I can adjust my riding style accordingly. I've done a lot of research and most thermometers are not really water/weather proof or reliable enough to trust them to differentiate between 35 and 32. One oops would make an accurate $86.00 thermometer look cheap. But that's just my opinion. Plus this thermometer has a lifetime guarantee and is 100 percent made in the USA (Sparks Nevada). They have been in business for 26 years.

Here are a couple of the rides I've made during the winter:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...light=madstrom

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=minnehaha
That's the same reason I bought mine.

Make sure you get that temp prob in clean air to get a good reading. It's okay if sunlight is hitting it, it will read correct as long as your moving.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #11190
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,043
NVBB is the weatherman that's for sure. He is always in the know as to whats going on. As you can see he even goes so far as to make his own weather.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote