ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #11236
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,059
After doing a bunch of research, I think that I have settled on getting a Scala G4 and the new Casio Commando phone that is supposed to be "the Ironman of phones". It does everything, and a hell of a lot more, than I need. Just a few more electronic gadgets and I'll give Chuck a run for his money!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #11237
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I didn't even leave the house yesterday.

Jimmy, I'll second what Eddie said. Need any help selling your KLR or whatever, just give a yell. Hoping you et to go home Friday.

Also, for any of the other go pro fans, beware of best buy. They now stock all the accessories. I managed to get out with only buying a handle/crash bar mount.
Be aware, or beware. If the latter, why??
Old 07-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #11238
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,864
Storm rolled through here a good hour ago. Rain stopped and 2 minutes later my generator kicks in. I wonder if Dominion owns Revere Gas? ;)

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #11239
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 875
Scala G4

Hey Eddy,
Im not positive but I think Dirtdoctor may get a Scala G4 as well. On the way back from the BMW MOA I attached the extra unit to his helmet and we talked all the way home. I think he was impressed. Right now I think Spoiled Biker has the best price.

In regards to the Casio Commando .... I would call Scala to see if the G4 and Casio pair. The G4 seems to have issues with some of the cell phones. We couldn't get Greg's phone to pair.

I'm having shoulder surgery this Friday to remove scar tissue from the original operation last Jan. The plan is to be riding again by the end of Sept and back to work in October. I will keep you posted on the results.
chuck
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #11240
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,978
i thought briefly about joining in and getting a Scala g4 but then I realized that some of you would talk all the time. As a bonus we could ask Eddy if he is lost without stopping. Get the GPS first Eddy. Seriously I prefer to be alone in my helmet. I have a tendency to laugh maniacally to myself.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:53 AM   #11241
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Seriously I prefer to be alone in my helmet..
Hehe.. I like that. Funny AND accurate (for me at least.)

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:00 AM   #11242
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Hey Eddy,
Im not positive but I think Dirtdoctor may get a Scala G4 as well. On the way back from the BMW MOA I attached the extra unit to his helmet and we talked all the way home. I think he was impressed. Right now I think Spoiled Biker has the best price.

In regards to the Casio Commando .... I would call Scala to see if the G4 and Casio pair. The G4 seems to have issues with some of the cell phones. We couldn't get Greg's phone to pair.

I'm having shoulder surgery this Friday to remove scar tissue from the original operation last Jan. The plan is to be riding again by the end of Sept and back to work in October. I will keep you posted on the results.
chuck
Chuck,
I pray all goes well with your surgery.

I'm having nerve tests done today to make sure the shoulder problems I'm experiencing don't include nerve damage. On a positive note, it looks like I will be discharged sometime Thursday.

-Jimmy
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #11243
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,984
Bluhduh Fiddlesticks.

Doc just came in and told me they're going to do some skin grafts tomorrow. The result may delay my discharge by 3 or 4 days.

I am so bummed right now.

-J
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:38 AM   #11244
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 875
Surgery

Thanks Jimmy,
My surgery, as painful as it may be is nothing compared to what your going through. Our thoughts are still with you and a speedy recovery. Hang in there.

Hey Jeremy ... There is a mute button on the G4 if you want to cut everyone out. In addition .... if someone goes down they usually mutter a few words before they hit so the guy in front knows to look back. Two weeks ago on Coal Rd going down to Vesuvius, the infamous words were "I'm loosing it". My friend Mark hit the dirt twice on his V-Strom.
chuck
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #11245
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,059
Drats

Back to the drawing board...I just spoke with "Garth" in tech support at Scala. Per him, "the G4 and the Casio Commando, and all "rugged phones" for that matter, don't seem to mix well." He stated that several people have already had issues with the Casio software not working well with Scala. But of course, "the iPhone4 works well, just get a protective rubber bumper for it..." Looks like I will be spending $200 for a iPhone4.

Chuck and Greg, which phones do you have? Does the Scala seem to work well with your phone?

P.S. When I get my Scala, an iPhone and put them to use with the new Nat Geo map I just purchased, I GUARANTEE that we CAN'T get lost ever again!

Jimmy, Hang in there!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 07-26-2011 at 06:42 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #11246
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Back to the drawing board...I just spoke with "Garth" in tech support at Scala. Per him, "the G4 and the Casio Commando, and all "rugged phones" for that matter, don't seem to mix well." He stated that several people have already had issues with the Casio software not working well with Scala. But of course, "the iPhone4 works well, just get a protective rubber bumper for it..." Looks like I will be spending $200 for a iPhone4.

Chuck and Greg, which phones do you have? Does the Scala seem to work well with your phone?

P.S. When I get my Scala, an iPhone and put them to use with the new Nat Geo map I just purchased, I GUARANTEE that we CAN'T get lost ever again!

Jimmy, Hang in there!
I have used a Droid 2 and now I use a iPhone4 with my G4. Both have worked without issues.

Take a look at the Otterbox defender case, it is very rugged. I had it for a while but it was a little too bulky for me.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #11247
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Back to the drawing board...I just spoke with "Garth" in tech support at Scala. Per him, "the G4 and the Casio Commando, and all "rugged phones" for that matter, don't seem to mix well." -
snip-

Scala question- does it only work with the in-helmet speakers they provide, or does it have a normal 1/8" jack as well? I'd hate to give up my ER6i's...

Oh and check Otterbox for compatibility with whatever phone you pick. I can now pound nails underwater with my iPod. The case for my blackberry isn't quite as well-sealed, but it is rugged as heck. When I broke the belt clip (apparently not rated for supporting 230lbs) they sent me a new one, no questions asked.
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #11248
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
Scala question- does it only work with the in-helmet speakers they provide, or does it have a normal 1/8" jack as well? I'd hate to give up my ER6i's...

Oh and check Otterbox for compatibility with whatever phone you pick. I can now pound nails underwater with my iPod. The case for my blackberry isn't quite as well-sealed, but it is rugged as heck. When I broke the belt clip (apparently not rated for supporting 230lbs) they sent me a new one, no questions asked.

I have seen folks cut the helmet headphones off and solder a 3.5mm jack. There is a thread somewhere about how to do it.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
Old 07-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #11249
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
[QUOTE=Eddy Alvarez;16481503]Back to the drawing board...I just spoke with "Garth" in tech support at Scala. Per him, "the G4 and the Casio Commando, and all "rugged phones" for that matter, don't seem to mix well." He stated that several people have already had issues with the Casio software not working well with Scala. But of course, "the iPhone4 works well, just get a protective rubber bumper for it..." Looks like I will be spending $200 for a iPhone4.

I have an LG flip phone thru Verizon.I was told by Marty-another rider with us that has the same phone that he had trouble getting the blue tooth in his phone to connect with his Scala G4 until he updated the soft ware in his GPS that he runs them thru.I have a Garmin 550 GPS that I just purchased.I plan to run the Scala G4 and the phone thru the Garmin GPS.I plan to put music on an SD card that goes in the GPS and play evreything thru the Garmin.Does anyone forsee any issues with that arrangement?TIA
Old 07-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #11250
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post

I have an LG flip phone thru Verizon.I was told by Marty-another rider with us that has the same phone that he had trouble getting the blue tooth in his phone to connect with his Scala G4 until he updated the soft ware in his GPS that he runs them thru.I have a Garmin 550 GPS that I just purchased.I plan to run the Scala G4 and the phone thru the Garmin GPS.I plan to put music on an SD card that goes in the GPS and play evreything thru the Garmin.Does anyone forsee any issues with that arrangement?TIA
That is the same way mine is connected. iPhone and G4 are both connected to my Zumo 665 though bluetooth.

The 550 doesn't have a stereo Bluetooth (A2DP) option though. So the phone and nav prompts work fine over BT but the music has to come over on a 3.5mm cord that plugs into the G4. (this actually has better sound quality than the BT)

My suggestion is to pair your phone with the G4. Do not pair with the 550, but run a cord for nav prompts and music. If your phone rings the music stops and resumes when the call is done.

This can be confusing but once you get it right it works well.