ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #11731
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,014
just got power back in chester. Lost it about 5pm yesterday. About 8:30 all the lights came back on.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #11732
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,927
New Subject

Does anyone here have the DVD: Riding Solo to the Top of the World? If so, could I borrow it for a week ? I'd love to show it to a couple of friends.

Jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 AM   #11733
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
lots of local lines down on my street. Looking like we will be out of power for quite a while. Luckily a very generous neighbor has loaned us a generator.
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:38 AM   #11734
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Does anyone here have the DVD: Riding Solo to the Top of the World? If so, could I borrow it for a week ? I'd love to show it to a couple of friends.

Jeff
I have it, and the other one too - One Crazy Ride
Old 08-29-2011, 06:42 AM   #11735
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,095
My father in Colonial Heights had power this morning. Most of the Chester area near Rt 10 and 301 has power but not us...my house is literally one mile from the neighborhood entrance. There are a lot, maybe 20, mature oaks down in the neighborhood. Our friends have a big oak in their attic, we were VERY lucky. The dancing trees had me sweating Saturday night! BOTH neighbors on each side of me lost trees. Yesterday we spent the day cleaning up the yard and taking a huge load of debris to the dump. There were 40 or so other pick-ups there doing the same thing.
I still have my new 8500 watt generator, in the box unopened. I am still debating about keeping it or returning it and putting that $1000 towards a whole house Generac Guardian...At this point, we are living just fine with two ice filled coolers, board games, books and led flashlights. The kids think it's fun "camping" downstairs.

I saw a small circuit breaker at Lowe's that can be installed next to the regular circuit breaker and hooked up to a portable generator, does anybody have experience with this? This may be a reasonable option when looking at $5000 for a Generac.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=182534-48019-30216+BRK&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3131281&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

We had dinner with friends in Short Pump last night. They had power, no yard debris, we saw ONE large tree down in the West End...Besides some of the areas east of there without power, it looked like nothing had ever happened.

*10:03 am update, my wife just got a pre-recorded call from Dominion Power stating that our area has been assigned to several crews today and that we "should have power between 7:00 and 9:00 PM!" Cross your fingers!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 07:07 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #11736
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,987
Eddy, I don't think you can go wrong either way. The generac solution may bring a better return on your investment if you sell your house. My folks put in a stand by system when they built a new house in Urbanna. They LOVE it. They wouldn't go back to a gas powered generator for anything.
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #11737
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Must be an older, sickly pine. Those things usually have tap roots that go pretty deep. Trust nothing is in it's path should it decide to go horizontal.
Well, I made that post about the pine at 12:29. The clocks in the house stopped at 12:30. Dominion, Verizon have done so much digging in the easement they hurt the pine and it fell taking out the lines. The lines were laying in the street and we watched in amazement as the new guy across the street walked over to the power line and quickly touched and drew his hand back. Then he dragged it out of the street. Good heavens, what people will do!

Otherwise we suffered no damage, it looks like mostly folks here came out ok. Good

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 10:04 AM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #11738
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Moving help needed

Weather permitting this coming Saturday, my daughter here in town will be moving to a new apartment. If any of you are free and think you may be able to help, please PM me, or send an email note to: gbyoung2 at verizon dot net.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #11739
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Weather permitting this coming Saturday, my daughter here in town will be moving to a new apartment. If any of you are free and think you may be able to help, please PM me, or send an email note to: gbyoung2 at verizon dot net.

Thanks in advance.
Would help in heartbeat, but we're going to be out of town. Sorry.

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #11740
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Where I learned to drive (OH) I was taught that a non-working traffic light is be treated as a 4-way stop. Can I assume that A. the same is true here and B. that people are just really fu**ing stupid?!?!?!

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #11741
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
Where I learned to drive (OH) I was taught that a non-working traffic light is be treated as a 4-way stop. Can I assume that A. the same is true here and B. that people are just really fu**ing stupid?!?!?!
Your latter assumption is correct. These stoopid fooks have no freakin' clue.

The only place I have seen that the police have put up portable stop signs is at the intersection of New Market Road and South Laburnam..... and they're sitting there to make sure people heed the signs.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #11742
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Yea. Every light I went through on my way home was out and nobody was stoping. There was a accident at one involving four cars. One person looked to be hurt bad. It looked like someone ran the intersection.

Anyone got power back yet? I live at the end of a dirt road and there is two breaks in the line just on my road. Route 30 has several...

Atleast the weather is nice.. I got a generator too, so life is good. Kids gets to watch TV. Lol

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #11743
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
Yea. Every light I went through on my way home was out and nobody was stoping. There was a accident at one involving four cars. One person looked to be hurt bad. It looked like someone ran the intersection.

Anyone got power back yet? I live at the end of a dirt road and there is two breaks in the line just on my road. Route 30 has several...

Atleast the weather is nice.. I got a generator too, so life is good. Kids gets to watch TV. Lol
No power here (near Belmont and Turner Roads) yet. have had the generator on the longest it has been thus far, just so the fridge and freezer can catch up to keep food spoilage to a minimum. Hamburgers and corn-on-the-cob via the grill this evening. Good eats.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #11744
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 902
No Power

Sorry to hear so many are still without power. I must be one of the lucky ones here on the north side of town. We lost power for less than two hours Sat morning but that was it. I took my generator over to my moms in Chesterfield to keep her fridge and a couple fans running.

Tonight I discovered www.dom.com. They have an interactive map that list most of the outage areas and estimated time of repair. Its not much but at least its something. I hope that helps. If there is anything I can do for any of you please let me know.
chuck
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 AM   #11745
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Update: Looks like the move date may move up to Thursday - IF - she can get in her new place by then (they were renovating the apartment). She found out she has to work Saturday (at Bostwick Teeter), so that day is no good. As a full time student now, she has to make a few $$ when she has the opportunity.

Still waiting to hear back from her to see if the place will be available.