ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #11986
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester
 
jgiacobbe's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Near Richmond VA
Oddometer: 2,123
Skip if you trust that bolt then go for it.I was just thinking thatmif it breaks, the exhaust will hit the ground and the results won't be pretty.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #11987
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.
 
Skippii's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Skip if you trust that bolt then go for it.I was just thinking thatmif it breaks, the exhaust will hit the ground and the results won't be pretty.
It has 4 bolts connecting the header to the engine, so I'm not worried about it falling off--but with one cylinder having only one bolt, it leaks exhaust like hell, making lots of noise out the front of the engine and backfiring like crazy--shoots flames a good 18-24" out the ass every time I shift.
__________________
"Umm be careful what you say, this is Skippii....
You may get it delivered in the form of a shake or some interperative dance routine that involves nakedness, pizza and a stuffed raccoon..." -DCrider
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #11988
roger123
Beastly Adventurer
 
roger123's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: VA Beach, VA
Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
That's a fantastic price.

The reality is that all you need is this...




..to press on side plates and rivet the hollow type rivets on master links. So that kit looks more than complete.

Now if you're going to get a master link with solid rivets, you may need a special "quad stake anvil" that will (may) fit in the ebay tool (if it doesn't already have one, which I can't really tell from the photos).
That's the one I have and it worked on my Wee Strom chain.
__________________
Roger
'07 Wee Strom (For Sale)
'14 Tenere ES
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #11989
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
That's the one I have and it worked on my Wee Strom chain.
Roger, was yours an endless chain that you had to rivet a master link back into place, or just one you needed to just
press the pins out of a clip-type link??

If the former, was the master link a "hollow pin" type, or a "solid pin" type?

D.I.D. doesn't clarify unless you did deeper into the Master links type that will, or will not work with this tool.

At $110 a pop, would be nice to know up front.

__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #11990
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider
 
CycleDoc59's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: East Virginia
Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
That's the one I have and it worked on my Wee Strom chain.
I had one of those a few years ago; it worked medium-well for 2 chains, then broke. I've installed
a couple dozen rivet chains with a heavy "bucking" hammer and a ball-pein hammer. Works just fine, and
nothing to break...
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #11991
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,399
This....

would be perfect camping weather..... over in the The Meadow of Helvetia, perhaps.

May have to head over that way for a couple days after my formal departure from the working world - just to get my head screwed on tight as to my, and my family's future.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #11992
roger123
Beastly Adventurer
 
roger123's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: VA Beach, VA
Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Roger, was yours an endless chain that you had to rivet a master link back into place, or just one you needed to just
press the pins out of a clip-type link??

If the former, was the master link a "hollow pin" type, or a "solid pin" type?

D.I.D. doesn't clarify unless you did deeper into the Master links type that will, or will not work with this tool.

At $110 a pop, would be nice to know up front.

It's a rivet type. Not sure about being hollow. The end was hollow so when you compress it, it mushrooms out to keep the side plates on. I got it from this place, http://www.mikesxs.net/products-49.html#products. I think it was $20 when I got it, I see they're up to $55 now.
__________________
Roger
'07 Wee Strom (For Sale)
'14 Tenere ES
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #11993
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu
 
niceviewbehindbars's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: West Point, VA
Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
would be perfect camping weather..... over in the The Meadow of Helvetia, perhaps.

May have to head over that way for a couple days after my formal departure from the working world - just to get my head screwed on tight as to my, and my family's future.
I was sitting on my front porch telling my wife that same thing. The cool breeze makes me want to setup camp in the front yard. :)
__________________
Graham
06 BMW R1200GS

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #11994
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
It's a rivet type. Not sure about being hollow. The end was hollow so when you compress it, it mushrooms out to keep the side plates on. I got it from this place, http://www.mikesxs.net/products-49.html#products. I think it was $20 when I got it, I see they're up to $55 now.
Yep, that's a hollow rivet masterlink..






I also got mine at Mikesxs in the days before they were discovered and the price shot up. It's been a handy little tool, and so far I have managed to not break the pin for pushing the rivets out of the links. When breaking a chain you've just got to be careful, grind the head off the rivet, and make sure the pin lines up perfectly with the hole in the link before pushing the rivet out of the chain.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #11995
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Yep, that's a hollow rivet masterlink..






I also got mine at Mikesxs in the days before they were discovered and the price shot up. It's been a handy little tool, and so far I have managed to not break the pin for pushing the rivets out of the links. When breaking a chain you've just got to be careful, grind the head off the rivet, and make sure the pin lines up perfectly with the hole in the link before pushing the rivet out of the chain.
I opted for one from Pit Posse. A little more expensive than the one Teeter found on eBay, but theirs does have a warranty.



I've bought some other tools from them in the past. Prices were reasonable and they've held up.

YMMV
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #11996
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I opted for one from Pit Posse. A little more expensive than the one Teeter found on eBay, but theirs does have a warranty.



I've bought some other tools from them in the past. Prices were reasonable and they've held up.

YMMV
So do the three anvils in the lower right corner let you peen solid rivets?
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #11997
roger123
Beastly Adventurer
 
roger123's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: VA Beach, VA
Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Yep, that's a hollow rivet masterlink..





I also got mine at Mikesxs in the days before they were discovered and the price shot up. It's been a handy little tool, and so far I have managed to not break the pin for pushing the rivets out of the links. When breaking a chain you've just got to be careful, grind the head off the rivet, and make sure the pin lines up perfectly with the hole in the link before pushing the rivet out of the chain.
Yup, that's the one. That was the first time I had ever done a chain like that and it was easy peasy.
__________________
Roger
'07 Wee Strom (For Sale)
'14 Tenere ES
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #11998
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
So do the three anvils in the lower right corner let you peen solid rivets?
Nope. This one is strictly for hollow pin master links.

EDIT: The one I really wanted that would handle both, hasn't been available for mos. It was far less expensive than the Motion Pro version that you still needed the added accesories to handle solid pins.

The body of this one is stout enough to do the deed, so if I need to make the necessary anvil to handle a solid pin link, I can do that. We have the technology. :-)
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project

Guy Young screwed with this post 09-16-2011 at 05:32 PM
Guy Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #11999
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.
 
Skippii's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 6,506
Anyone here gone to see the gold plated imperial ovulatory excrement at the VMFA?
Is it worth seeing?
__________________
"Umm be careful what you say, this is Skippii....
You may get it delivered in the form of a shake or some interperative dance routine that involves nakedness, pizza and a stuffed raccoon..." -DCrider
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #12000
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.
 
Greenflyfarmer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Central Virginia
Oddometer: 1,767
What? I ain't heard not narry nothing about it. Is them Russian eggs in town?
__________________
I ain't a going without my hog, my gun, my whisky and my Bible.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014