ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #12046
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMN8R View Post
Thanks. I've gotten to the end of my rope, but I tied a knot in it, so I should be good for a while!

I still have the stand. HF now has them on sale for $69. I'm going to return it to the store this weekend if an inmate doesn't pick it up first.
yea saw that $69 price.

he's no inmate , new to riding, bought a squid ride, I tried to talk him out of that type first bike, but no go. He does want to do the work on the bike and needs a stand. I'll let you know tomorrow.
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #12047
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,310
Madstrom

Mickey, you have a PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #12048
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
I will be ridding and camping the first weekend in Oct if anyone cares to join. Probabbly stay friday night at otter creek and head over towards WV on Saturday.
Ah!! Otter Creek. Location of the original Brrr Rides for about 7 years 'til some wusses decided they needed a warm shower.

Speaking of which, on Nov. 11-13 this year... JIC you/anyone is interested.

Regarding your question, Lemme see what's going as we get a little closer and will let you know. The corporate world will no longer get in the way (will have to get used to that), but bux (or lack thereof) may. Also, at some point, will need to clear out my inlaws house up in MD, but my wife hasn't given me any type of timeframe for that yet. Until that's taken care of, I'm kinda on a short leash. Kind of a bummer that someone else always seems to have some sort of control over your life.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #12049
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Made it over to Woody Funeral Home on Parham this evening for the visitation of my departed co-worker. It was an open-casket, which kinda surprised me so I can only assume it was severe back or neck trauma that did him in. Real pisser. I kinda gave him a poke and told him it was raining out when I rode over. We had this running joke at work about my riding in any kind of weather, and I simply told him back then when he first got his bike that is was,"Only water." He even made comments about that on FB. Really gonna miss him.... a lot of us are.

Talked at length with his parents, and they had that look of any parent who has lost a child. Somehow, I know that look well; seen it too many times in the mirrors of this house. Also talked to his brother, but didn't get a chance to speak with his wife.

Sobering experience, as all are when you enter a funeral home to pay your last respects.

Ya'll please be careful out there.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #12050
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

I always like the 450s, but they had some serious issues with the valve train and the kick-starter pawls breaking. Busted open the cases on a number of then back in my little (after GE hours) shop in Lynchburg. But who was to complain. Paid for my early racing expenses.

The good old days when grease was really grease, and not some synthetic crap that's on the market now.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #12051
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
If that's 9/30 - 10/2 (Fri, Sat, Sun) I'm interested.
Yea, that's it.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #12052
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Ah!! Otter Creek. Location of the original Brrr Rides for about 7 years 'til some wusses decided they needed a warm shower.

Speaking of which, on Nov. 11-13 this year... JIC you/anyone is interested.

Regarding your question, Lemme see what's going as we get a little closer and will let you know. The corporate world will no longer get in the way (will have to get used to that), but bux (or lack thereof) may. Also, at some point, will need to clear out my inlaws house up in MD, but my wife hasn't given me any type of timeframe for that yet. Until that's taken care of, I'm kinda on a short leash. Kind of a bummer that someone else always seems to have some sort of control over your life.
The best part about otter creek is the yummy breakfast in the morning. And there are lots of good roads headed west from there.

I'm planning on coming to the Brrr ride.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #12053
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
If you sell this, please let me know. I also have 1/2 acre in Shenendoah Forest and would like to sell. It was my parent's and we haven't been there in 20 years. Ours is just land, but I'd be happy to get $1,000 for it.

jeff

Jeff,

What is the lot number?
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:13 AM   #12054
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
The best part about otter creek is the yummy breakfast in the morning. And there are lots of good roads headed west from there.

I'm planning on coming to the Brrr ride.
We always planned the Brrr for the last w/e the restaurant was open. Gave us a close place for dinner, and breakfast in the morning.

Not sure what their present schedule is, but they've been open and closed several times over the last few years.... even being boarded up a few times I was past there. IIRC, the campground itself has been closed for a few seasons too.

EDIT: Took a look at the NPS site. Good to see that the OCCG and restaurant are both open for business. Excellent!!

Guy Young screwed with this post 09-22-2011 at 03:22 AM
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #12055
Stooge11
Stuck in Suburbia.

Oddometer: 9
Noob

Hello all,

New here but have been riding for decades. Kids are old enough to ride now, indescribably fun. As with all, wishing there were more places to hit dirt around Richmond.

Wanted to say hi and see if others were interested in doing any Dual Sport trips before the weather gets bad.
Stooge11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #12056
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
I want the CL350
Those pipes are really sweet.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #12057
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooge11 View Post
Hello all,

New here but have been riding for decades. Kids are old enough to ride now, indescribably fun. As with all, wishing there were more places to hit dirt around Richmond.

Wanted to say hi and see if others were interested in doing any Dual Sport trips before the weather gets bad.
Welcome Stooge. Lots of guys go out for day trips on any given weekend. It all depends on your distance preferences and dirt/pavement ratio. What are you riding? How much do you like off-pavement riding? I'm sure there is a variety of guys here who can show you a good time... Do you ride and camp at all? If so, a few of us head to WV from time to time.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #12058
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooge11 View Post
Hello all,

Stooge11: I see you're riding a DRZ400. Shenandoah 500 is Oct 1-2, but it's filled up. I know a few guys who are "ghost" riding it, if you're interested.

I will post any other excursions here, if my knee holds up. I know of some small areas open in the East End, but nothing substantial. There are also some "pay" options, if you're interested.

BTW, I've had two plated CR500's. It gets old after a while.

pplassm screwed with this post 09-22-2011 at 03:42 PM
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #12059
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
welcome

Stooge11 welcome.!! A few of us may be ridinng this Sunday afternoon around 2 PM-either West or East,it remains to be determined.PM me if interested.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #12060
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Welcome stooge11!

Jimmy
Rctr