ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #12076
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,400
Now that the wife has seen the TV (was gone when I got home), decision has been made that we'll get rid of the original analog one in the house and put this (new) one there. That will eliminate one of FIOS converter boxes (bux out the door). We also have a smaller digital we can put in the family room, getting rid of, yet, another analog TV and another FIOS converter box (more bux). Also thinking of getting rid of the landline telephones and going strictly cell, yet more FIOS expenses outta here.

Have an age-old AOL bring your own service account I've had since the earth was still hot. Both daughters used to use it; reason I kept it. But both have migrated to Yahoo and gmail, so it's gone too.

Getting really frugal (I'm a Connie owner, remember?) and more cautious with our cash outlay is now the name of the game. I've been lucky that I could make the really big garage purchases when I had the income, but they're all paid for. No CC debt, house is paid for, new vehicles with no car payments... all of that. Food, insurance, real estate taxes, and utilities are gonna be the big ticket items. Definately a change in lifestyle and our spending habits, but I wouldn't have put my family in a dour financial position if I had any doubt whatsoever we couldn't make it. If I had, I'd bit the bullet and wouldn't have walked out the door. Also have four years worth of M/C tires in the wings for both bikes, so we're good there. Think they call that Priorities.

And.... about 10 years worth of ammo for the guns, in all calibres, so we're good there too.

We'll be fine, but back to the bare necessities and the basics until we see how things play out.

P.S. - if you see a garage fire on Fieldstone Road, run for you life. Ain't no telling where "stuff" is gonna fly.

Guy Young screwed with this post 09-23-2011 at 02:38 PM
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #12077
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,541
Excellent, Guy!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #12078
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,767
The land line thing makes less and less sense. I still have the old bell telephone we bought down at the Phone Company, our first purchase. Same washer and dryer we bought 6 months later is still working too, new belts and pump of course here and there. But the phone thing, if I wasn't tied into a triple play deal with verizon...I should look at that. Makes as much sense as a buggy whip.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #12079
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
The land line thing makes less and less sense. I still have the old bell telephone we bought down at the Phone Company, our first purchase. Same washer and dryer we bought 6 months later is still working too, new belts and pump of course here and there. But the phone thing, if I wasn't tied into a triple play deal with verizon...I should look at that. Makes as much sense as a buggy whip.
I've always thought that one should have one "hard-wired" phone in the house when all else fails. Now that all my outside date/voice stuff is connected through a chunk of fiber-optic, I'm just a vunerable to failure as anyone else. Never thought I'd think that way, but that's the way it is.

May have to go back and re-new my ham (amateur radio) ticket. That method always worked.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #12080
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Listening to records tonight...this album is from 69 and 70. I haven't listened to this stuff in 15 years. Found an album on the turntable, didn't even know it was there. Forgot about all the pops and the hiss. That's why we turned it up too, drownd out the hiss.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #12081
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
On the land line thing,

the old analog loop from the CO is about the last thing to go down in an emergency. All the voip/fiber/coax cable stuff is much more vulnerable. I've been supporting VoIP systems since 2003 and make a good living at it, but it will be a long time until it can trump the reliability of the old analog system. The old system was 100 years in the making.

The new converged IP based technologies for voice and video are only growing on the basis of the added capacity and services they bring.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #12082
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
On the land line thing,

the old analog loop from the CO is about the last thing to go down in an emergency. All the voip/fiber/coax cable stuff is much more vulnerable. I've been supporting VoIP systems since 2003 and make a good living at it, but it will be a long time until it can trump the reliability of the old analog system. The old system was 100 years in the making.

The new converged IP based technologies for voice and video are only growing on the basis of the added capacity and services they bring.
I'm still mixed with the landline thing. Unfortunately, both my hard-wired lines went away when FIOS entered and we signed on.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #12083
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
Listening to records tonight...this album is from 69 and 70. I haven't listened to this stuff in 15 years. Found an album on the turntable, didn't even know it was there. Forgot about all the pops and the hiss. That's why we turned it up too, drownd out the hiss.
So what are you listening to? I've got a bunch of vinyl, and a turn table but nothing to hook it up to.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #12084
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I'm still mixed with the landline thing. Unfortunately, both my hard-wired lines went away when FIOS entered and we signed on.
The fiber isn't that bad but it staying connected relays on you having power for the modem more than anything else. The power on the CO end is probably about the same as it was for the old copper. I think your main driver is going to be cost. Does the additional minutes to cover your added cell usage cost less than the telephone portion of your Fios.

The other issue though is that the cell towers seem to be much more oversubscribed than land lines. Lots more busy signals when big events happen. Of course I'm sure a 911 call would kick a non emergency call off the line instead of give a busy signal, assuming the towers are still up and powered.

I'm probably not doing much to help you decide either way. I'll see you Sunday if our ride is still own with Greg. Maybe Eddy will join us too if the weather clears a little.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #12085
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
The fiber isn't that bad but it staying connected relays on you having power for the modem more than anything else. The power on the CO end is probably about the same as it was for the old copper. I think your main driver is going to be cost. Does the additional minutes to cover your added cell usage cost less than the telephone portion of your Fios.

The other issue though is that the cell towers seem to be much more oversubscribed than land lines. Lots more busy signals when big events happen. Of course I'm sure a 911 call would kick a non emergency call off the line instead of give a busy signal, assuming the towers are still up and powered.

I'm probably not doing much to help you decide either way. I'll see you Sunday if our ride is still own with Greg. Maybe Eddy will join us too if the weather clears a little.
Screw the commo stuff 'til the next "disaster," but I am going on the ride, Will actually be attending church with Greg and my wife to hear a former youth minister preach. My daughters both were a part of his ministry back when, and I haven't seen him in years. It will be nice.

Funny how time, circumstances, events change your mind set. Today a major event happened in my life, but it not only affected me, it affected the whole family. Definately a time to consider all around me, and the direction I need to go.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #12086
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Well I found the Revealing Science of God on the turntable from Tales of Topogragphic Oceans. It had likely been there 8 or 10 years. I cued up The Yes Album and then Fragile sounded scratchy. Wonder why. Zoso is working now. Used to love that british progressive stuff. Sounded different to a hillbilly boy.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #12087
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Now that I think back.....the last time I was still listening to vinyl. Hold on, its been awhile.

A drunk killed my sister. Julie and her boyfriend were hit head on by a guy that was driving down the wrong way on the interstate in the far left.......lights off. He lived. Thought about killing him for awhile but I'm not that kind of man. You figure that out about yourself in times like that, cold blood and all. Ten days later my wife and I got married, my little Alsasian grandma walking around my wedding shaking hands with eveyone saying she was Julie's grandmother...Listened to Yes all night, I have All of their albums before they went pop on the last one, which was worthless. Bottle of bourbon, tears.

Next thing I'm busy with graduate school and working ALL the time, day and night. Vinyl went to tape then to CD and albums collected dust in the bottom of the old stereo. Last time I listened to vinyl I was still a kid.
The world has turned over since then. Heck. Elvis was still warm ish.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #12088
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Stooge11 welcome.!! A few of us may be ridinng this Sunday afternoon around 2 PM-either West or East,it remains to be determined.PM me if interested.
Greg, sent ya a pm about the ride Sunday.

cheers,

j

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #12089
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Greg, sent ya a pm about the ride Sunday.

cheers,

j
John, your PM hasn't come thru yet.I'll keep looking for it.I can be reached at 804-690-4261-cell.

We plan to meet at my Dental Office at 2 PM on Sunday (3525 Iron Bridge Road,Richmond,VA 23234) in south Richmond at the corner of Iron Bridge/Broad Rock Blvd and Patsy Ann Drive.We'll most likely be riding strictly street on this one. All are welcome!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #12090
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Guy, CONGRATS !!!