ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2011, 04:06 AM   #12661
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,303
Nasty weather last evening.....

Trust ya'll made it through the wind and frog-strangler last night unscathed??

Old 11-17-2011, 04:56 AM   #12662
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
For foul weather, I reach for the keys to the hack! Been motoring up and down 95 on the dialy commute on 3 wheels vice two due to the rain and threat of rain. Dropped an Optima yellow-top battery in my sidebox. Need to get the SAE bulkhead connector so I can run all my heated gear off that big boy. My calculations say I should get at least 5 hours at high settings (Vest and gloves). Should be plenty for the 2 hour daily commute. I might have to splurge and see what other gizmos and trinkets I should hook up.

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 650/719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #12663
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Cute

Now that is just too cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
Hey Mickey... I saw a neat little chain saw when I was at lowes today. Battery powered... It was really light too, 4.5 pounds. A little expensive though.
I bet that would work great around camp.

Maybe Santa Claus will bring it to you.

COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #12664
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhof View Post
Now that is just too cute.
9.5 lbs. cute with battery, and an archaic chain oiling system, or so say the reviews.... depending on which type you get: "A" or "B".

Old 11-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #12665
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
I think I just need a really good camping axe with a 2' handle and 2 1/2 -3 Lb head with a cover. It needs to have enough heft to do some serious chopping. Not a hatchet! Also a really sturdy camp saw that folds down to a neat and slim 2' or less package. With these I should never have to worry about scrounging up fire wood. It's not a campout with a decent fire! Got to have my caveman TV!!!
Mickey, the Sven 15" folding camp saw is one of the best out there. They've been around for a quite awhile and have stood the test of time:

As far as an axe goes, I've had one of these Estwing camping "axes" for close to 40 years and it has held up well. Not a long handled axe that you asked about, but still has enough heft to get the job done. Any long handled variety get a little unwieldy trying to carry it on a bike. This one fits in my side pannier with no problem:

Old 11-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #12666
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Sargent Seat for sale

I have a slightly used Sargent Dual Sport Saddle / Seat for a F 650 / 800 GS Twin for sale.

It has about 2,000 miles on it, it is black with orange piping.

I had it on my 2010 F 650 GS which my wife now has and it is too tall for her.

Retails for $479.00 + $20 shipping. Looking to sell for $375.00 including shipping to the lower 48.

PM me for further information or pic.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #12667
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Mickey, the Sven 15" folding camp saw is one of the best out there. They've been around for a quite awhile and have stood the test of time:

As far as an axe goes, I've had one of these Estwing camping "axes" for close to 40 years and it has held up well. Not a long handled axe that you asked about, but still has enough heft to get the job done. Any long handled variety get a little unwieldy trying to carry it on a bike. This one fits in my side pannier with no problem:

I have that Sven saw. 21" Works real well.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #12668
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

I was able to put my hands on my old Estwing "axe," but my Sven saw is buried in my shed - somewhere.

As bad as it looks, that old thing will still whack up some wood in no time flat. Think I bought it (and the saw) when I was still living in Lynchburg back in the '60s.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #12669
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,740
It flurried today at the family farm down in Hungry Mother VA. Cold too.

I've taken off from work to stay here as my Father is on his death bed. I've been here two weeks and I'll say here to the end. Dad has been good to me and all my family.

It's been sort of a sad party down here. Friends dropping in and eating with us, seeing Dad for the last time. He is unable to talk now, a dark color on his feet starting last night and his limbs are ice cold. Signs of the end.

We are going to bury him here on the farm like the old folks. No vault, just a box, a head and foot stone. With time his grave will look 100 years old. He was happy with the arrangement.

Y'all take care and hug up the ones you love.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #12670
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post

I've taken off from work to stay here as my Father is on his death bed. I've been here two weeks and I'll say here to the end. Dad has been good to me and all my family.

It's been sort of a sad party down here. Friends dropping in and eating with us, seeing Dad for the last time. He is unable to talk now, a dark color on his feet starting last night and his limbs are ice cold. Signs of the end.

We are going to bury him here on the farm like the old folks. No vault, just a box, a head and foot stone. With time his grave will look 100 years old. He was happy with the arrangement.

I'm glad to hear you are able to spend your father's final hours together.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:46 AM   #12671
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post

Karl, our thoughts and prayers go out to your family. It's fortunate you are able to spend time with your dad during his final hours. As painful as it might be, there are many of us where that wasn't the case... the "news" simply came in the form of a phone call.

Stay strong my friend, and be rest assured he's going to a better place.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #12672
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Karl,

May God give you peace and comfort as you say goodbye to your Dad.It sounds like he is a great man and lived a good life well.My prayers are with you and your family.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #12673
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,357
Karl, Prayers sent your way.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #12674
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,984
Carl,

Having stayed by my father's side during his last weeks, I can truly understand the pain, and the comfort you're experiencing. I found the following passage particularly comforting to me during those long nights at his bedside:

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 (The Message)

The Master's Coming
13-14And regarding the question, friends, that has come up about what happens to those already dead and buried, we don't want you in the dark any longer. First off, you must not carry on over them like people who have nothing to look forward to, as if the grave were the last word. Since Jesus died and broke loose from the grave, God will most certainly bring back to life those who died in Jesus.
15-18And then this: We can tell you with complete confidence—we have the Master's word on it—that when the Master comes again to get us, those of us who are still alive will not get a jump on the dead and leave them behind. In actual fact, they'll be ahead of us. The Master himself will give the command. Archangel thunder! God's trumpet blast! He'll come down from heaven and the dead in Christ will rise—they'll go first. Then the rest of us who are still alive at the time will be caught up with them into the clouds to meet the Master. Oh, we'll be walking on air! And then there will be one huge family reunion with the Master. So reassure one another with these words.

Oh, what a day that will be.

God be with you my friend. Y'all are in our thoughts and prayers.

- Jimmy
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:30 AM   #12675
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Kinda nippy out here this a.m.

Guy Young screwed with this post 11-19-2011 at 03:38 AM
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote