ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2011, 03:43 AM   #12676
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,736
[QUOTE=Greenflyfarmer;17327367]It flurried today at the family farm down in Hungry Mother VA. Cold too.

I've taken off from work to stay here as my Father is on his death bed. I've been here two weeks and I'll say here to the end. Dad has been good to me and all my family.

It's been sort of a sad party down here. Friends dropping in and eating with us, seeing Dad for the last time. He is unable to talk now, a dark color on his feet starting last night and his limbs are ice cold. Signs of the end.

We are going to bury him here on the farm like the old folks. No vault, just a box, a head and foot stone. With time his grave will look 100 years old. He was happy with the arrangement.

Y'all take care and hug up the ones you love.[/QUO

It is a difficult task you are involved in at the moment. Enjoy the company of the ones that your father touched with his presence here and wish him well on his voyage. Prayers for you and yours.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #12677
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,339
Beemer Breakfast Tomorrow??

Old 11-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #12678
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
Question

I can't read modern American English.
This has been bothering me a lot lately, because I never really encoutered this sort of dialect where I used to live, but I see it all the time now. I'll see thing written and while I can usually make out the general point, sometimes I have no idea what someone is talking about. It's frustrating when people list something like a motorcycle for sale for thousands of dollars, and I can't read the description.

It's weird, because when I talk in person to people write like this, they're not total idiots. They're intelligent, well spoken individuals.

So why do they choose to post for sale ads like:
Quote:
its 2 tool box is full and 1 tool bag the tools are 50/50 USA and chines I've had pepel look at thim and that don't like the chines but I DC that all the same its a tool OK don't call if u don't wunt thim plez I got some craftsmen and a lot of so kits and 1 cordid hevy duty drill I also got hevy duty nail guns and scillsaws
Old 11-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #12679
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post

So why do they choose to post for sale ads like:
Um, because they don't teach diagramming sentences in grade school anymore?

Or, perhaps texting has made people very lazy.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #12680
308 Sniper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 9
Richmond area BMW, Triumph, or KTM dealers

Hi all,
I live in south GA, but originally from Richmond, VA. Going this coming week to visit the family for Turkey Day. I want to check out the local dealerships to see the latest and greatest that I'm reading about in the magazines for dual sport/adventure riding. Any BMW, Triumph, or KTM dealers around? No dealers in my town except Yamaha, Kawi, and Honda. Just want to drool (I mean look) over them. My current dual sport ride is an 02 KTM 640 LC4, road bike is a 03 Honda CBR600RR. One of these days I'd like to get in to the larger bore adventure setups like the bmw800 or 1200, super tenere, even ktm's offerings. Never seen any of these bikes in person. It would be nice to look at them ftf, sit on them, and see how they feel/weigh compared to what I am used to.
Thanks in advance. Flying up, so will only be riding my dad's dirtbikes while I'm up there.
308 Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #12681
Colemanskeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308 Sniper View Post
Hi all,
I live in south GA, but originally from Richmond, VA. Going this coming week to visit the family for Turkey Day. I want to check out the local dealerships to see the latest and greatest that I'm reading about in the magazines for dual sport/adventure riding. Any BMW, Triumph, or KTM dealers around? No dealers in my town except Yamaha, Kawi, and Honda. Just want to drool (I mean look) over them. My current dual sport ride is an 02 KTM 640 LC4, road bike is a 03 Honda CBR600RR. One of these days I'd like to get in to the larger bore adventure setups like the bmw800 or 1200, super tenere, even ktm's offerings. Never seen any of these bikes in person. It would be nice to look at them ftf, sit on them, and see how they feel/weigh compared to what I am used to.
Thanks in advance. Flying up, so will only be riding my dad's dirtbikes while I'm up there.
No BMW dealers in town. Morton's BMW is in Fredericksburg and typically have a good inventory on hand to check out. Lot's of gear too. Not sure if anyone keeps any Triumphs in the metro area, but I'm sure someone will chime in on that if they do. Honda house has several locations, Broad Street and a south side location. You have plenty to choose from. Travel safe!
Old 11-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #12682
Wench On Wheels
RuckusRaisingRedhead

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Kinda nippy out here this a.m.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #12683
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308 Sniper View Post
Hi all,
Sorry to disappoint, but our local KTM dealer closed about a year and a half ago. The closest BMW dealer is Morton's. They're legendary, but not close.

There may be a Triumph dealer left, but I haven't needed a part for my Speed Triple since I bought it.

The past couple of years have been rough on dealerships around here. I think Ultimate Cycles out on Midlothian used to have some Aprilias on the floor, but I haven't been by in a while.

edit: Closest Triumph dealer is in Norfolk. Ultimate Cycles (8321 Midlothian Turnpike) still shows Aprilias, but does not show floor inventory.

Haven't been to Velocity since hey down sized, (Boulevard), bur they always had interesting stuff for sale and liked to talk about their work.

Richmond is not the most diverse place, motorcycle-wise.

pplassm screwed with this post 11-19-2011 at 05:52 PM
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #12684
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Kinda nippy out here this a.m.

I rode just over 4 hours yesterday. Worst part was coming home after midnight, 29*F according to weather.com.

Might have to get the heated gloves out again...vented leather just ain't cutting it.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #12685
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Here's Velocity's website: http://www.velocityvintage.com/
Old 11-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #12686
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Motorcycle movie on the Sundance Channel. About a guy riding his vintage Norton motorcycle across Canada. 8:25-10PM Titled "One Week"

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80

JHVA screwed with this post 11-19-2011 at 06:11 PM
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #12687
308 Sniper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 9
Damn, I figured Richmond would have more options than what I have down here.
308 Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #12688
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,389
Doesn't that dealer on RT1 between Chester and Colonial Heights sell Triumphs?
Old 11-20-2011, 04:46 AM   #12689
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Motorcycle movie on the Sundance Channel. About a guy riding his vintage Norton motorcycle across Canada. 8:25-10PM Titled "One Week"
I love Netflix, just typed it in and it's there, now I can watch whenever I have some time. Thanks for the info.
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #12690
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,339
I loves this kinda stuff

The Falls of Richmond