ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #12706
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
Oh man, that's good music. Thanks for posting!

Feel free to turn Sunday into Richmond VA Chatter Mountain Music Day..
There are two events I want to add to my bucket list for 2012:

The Vandalia Gathering in Charleston:

I've wanted to hit this one forever, but something else always seemed to pop up. My sister was there this year as a story teller, and believe she'll be there again in 2012.

And the West Virginia State Folk Festival in Glenville (have asked for the 2012 dates)

Since I had kin living there in Glenville, I managed to catch a few days of the event for a lot of years ever since I was a kid, but want to try and experience all it of this time around.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #12707
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,275
A store in California called Eurotech Motorsports that sells all sorts of BMW, Ducati, Triumph, etc... aftermarket stuff is closing. I just purchased a set of brand new Hepco and Becker tank guards for my GS for $124, they normally retail for $253! They may have stuff for your bike but things are selling very fast!
Eddy
http://www.eurotechmotorsports.com/

P.S. Guy, those events look like fun, I'd be up for an overnight trip.

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 11-22-2011 at 01:48 PM
Eddy Alvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #12708
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
I made the cover of the aerostich winter catalog!!!

I knew that old hack would pay off.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #12709
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
I made the cover of the aerostich winter catalog!!!

I knew that old hack would pay off.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #12710
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,779
Cool
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #12711
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
Congrats Andrew!! Between your brothers' siteing tornados with blow by blow commentary and your photo op you guys are becoming real life celebrities.Autographs??
Old 11-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #12712
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Congrats Andrew!! Between your brothers' siteing tornados with blow by blow commentary and your photo op you guys are becoming real life celebrities.Autographs??
Really!! The family has now accumulated 30 minutes of fame.

What's next guyz???

Old 11-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #12713
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,542
That's pretty cool!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #12714
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
From Matt Danielson:

The Virginia Coalition of Motorcyclists and Tom McGrath's Motorcycle Law group would like to invite all interested motorcyclists to attend this year's Motorcycle Lobby Day. This year it will be held on Monday January 16, 2012. This is a holiday, so many people are off. That morning, Virginia Coalition of Motorcyclists lobbyists, as well as members of other state motorcycle rights organizations, independent motorcyclists and any other interested people will go to the Virginia General Assembly to discuss upcoming legislation that affects motorcyclists in Virginia with their Delegates and Senators.
On Sunday January 15, from 12:00 p.m. until we get through, Virginia Coalition of Motorcyclists lobbyists will lead an informational meeting at the Holiday Inn Airport at 445 International Center Dr., Sandston, VA 23150 to discuss this year's legislation affecting motorcyclists. We will also discuss how to talk to your legislators about these issues in case you have never done that. Later that evening, attendees will enjoy a free homemade BBQ dinner made by Stewart Newton and provided by several Virginia motorcycle rights organizations including ABATE of Virginia and the Virginia Bikers Association.
On Monday the 16th, we leave the Holiday Inn at 8:00 a.m. sharp for our annual trip to the Capitol. After lobbying our legislators, we will attend the opening of the House of Delegates daily session and be recognized from the floor. Afterwards, Tom McGrath's Motorcycle Law Group takes everyone to Penny Lane Pub for lunch as a thank you for coming to support Virginia Motorcyclists.
This year we are expecting numerous bills of interest to Virginia motorcyclists. We already know that we will have a bill to prohibit Motorcycle Only Checkpoints in Virginia. Delegate Todd Gilbert has agreed to be the patron for that bill and has sent our draft to Legislative Services for finalization. It was unanimously agreed upon at this year's legislative round table that this bill was our number one priority this year. If passed, it will put an end to the discriminatory practice of targeting motorcyclists with checkpoints which have to date yielded very little for those that have conducted them.
We are also still looking at a bill to abolish Virginia's prohibition against two motorcycles riding abreast of each other. As many of you know it is considered reckless driving for two motorcyclists to ride next to each other in Virginia. In 48 other states, it is completely legal. Despite the fact that there is no data to show that two motorcyclists riding abreast are more likely to be in an accident, and further given the fact that Virginia recently passed legislation to allow on-duty law enforcement officers to do so, it still remains a jail-able offense for the general motorcycling community in Virginia. We had been unable to seriously speak with potential patrons until the elections concluded. Jim Cannon and I have an appointment to meet with a member of the House of Delegates who has expressed interest in carrying this bill for us. I will keep you informed as talks progress.
As always, there will be numerous bills submitted at the last minute which will negatively affect motorcycling. As these bills are filed, we will be able to identify them and discuss them at lobby day so that we can convince the legislators why they are bad bills. Those who have participated in Lobby Day in the past remember the bill that we killed that would have required proof of insurance before one person could sell another person a motorcycle, even if the person buying the motorcycle had no intention of putting the bike on the road. We killed that one with the help of all of those who participated in Lobby Day. Last year we defeated a bill that would have prohibited children under eight from riding on a motorcycle as a passenger.
I encourage everyone who can to join us. It is a lot of fun, it is educational, and most importantly it shows the legislators that motorcyclists are a significant and active section of the electorate.
For more information you can call VCOM at (800) 437-9434. For Room Reservations call (804) 236-1111 and ask for the VCOM rate.

Matt Danielson
McGrath & Danielson
Tom McGrath's Motorcycle Law Group
1-800-321-8968
Motorcyclelawgroup.com

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #12715
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,761
Just got my A.S. catalouge. can i get an autograph Halfplate?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #12716
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Gun show Sat & Sun at Hampton Convention Center

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #12717
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
Trying to make a deal on a 2004 KTM 200 EXC. Wish me luck. After I get a small dual sport bike I'll be on my quest for a bigger bike. The wife wants me to get a 1200GS but I'm not sure what I really want yet. That new big Yammie looks interesting!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #12718
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 809
Hey fellow inmates, New to the Richmond area and Im looking for good places to ride. On and off road. Any routes/trails are greatly appreciated.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #12719
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
Hi neighbor! Some dirt roads here in dinwiddie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
Hey fellow inmates, New to the Richmond area and Im looking for good places to ride. On and off road. Any routes/trails are greatly appreciated.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:25 AM   #12720
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,275
Chris,
You are spot on regarding a small DS and a second bigger road bike. I love my big GS, but a 250/400 would be great for "real" dual sporting. The 1200GS excels if you need one bike that can take you 250 miles west of here at 75mph in total comfort, ride some ugly trails after lunch, hit the twisties a while and then get you home comfortably 12 hours later with no soreness the next moring. If you have no experience on the GS, you are welcome to take mine out for a couple of hours. She looks weird but after 27 years of riding and 40+ bikes, I am a believer in the "its the best bike on the planet" crap I got tired of hearing about over the years.
But, if it were my money and I were buying a new bike, I would probably be on another BMW 650GS or 650 V-Strom. They are literally HALF the price, they go almost everywhere the 1200 can and tour and scratch well. But again, I am too cheap to buy new so I'd find a well farkled used GS like I did.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Eddy
P.S. I must be getting older because I could not read the tiny font it had me using! (And I am using a huge 21" screen! LOL)

Mr. Sandman, Welcome, you have landed amongst the right people. I see that you have a big KTM, cool. I'll PM you if I hear of any rides.

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 11-24-2011 at 01:45 PM
Eddy Alvarez is online now   Reply With Quote