ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #12781
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,623
My 12 yr old nephew just sent me this "cool" video....it IS COOL!

Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #12782
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
My 12 yr old nephew just sent me this "cool" video....it IS COOL!

Awesome!!

I'd give my left nut to have the gnads to be able to do that.

Nice. Thanks for passing that along.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #12783
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 847
Hmmm, funny coincidence. I was just bored with work and was plotting an IB on Google Maps. I read about guys doing "Single State" rides and just plotted out a workable 1017 mile ride totally within the boundaries of Virginia.

Yours sounds warmer though. LOL!

- Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I don't know why, but I have a itch to do a Iron Butt SS1000 and see what the long distance fuss is all about. It seems that most everyone who participates in long distance riding seems to enjoy it very much. I've done the entire BRP (northbound) and then home in one day on a Triumph Scrambler and have gone from Cape Canaveral to Richmond (750 miles) in one day on a comfy Road King Classic and on a R1200ST. None of these rides seemed too difficult.
This might be challenging and fun! Anybody possibly interested in trying this with me? Route is yet to be determined but Key West is 1100 miles away. It could make for a fun four day weekend!

Day 1: Non-stop Richmond to Key West
Day 2: Enjoy Key West, rest, eat and watch the weirdos and tourists on Duvall St.
Day 3 & 4: Ride home.
Ideas? Any experienced IBA riders out there?

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=1

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #12784
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,950
that is cool and def requires balls , but this, well it requires your balls, my balls, his balls....let's just say more balls that probably all of us

DCrider screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 02:02 PM
DCrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #12785
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
I don't know why, but I have a itch to do a Iron Butt SS1000 and see what the long distance fuss is all about. It seems that most everyone who participates in long distance riding seems to enjoy it very much. I've done the entire BRP (northbound) and then home in one day on a Triumph Scrambler and have gone from Cape Canaveral to Richmond (750 miles) in one day on a comfy Road King Classic and on a R1200ST. None of these rides seemed too difficult.
This might be challenging and fun! Anybody possibly interested in trying this with me? Route is yet to be determined but Key West is 1100 miles away. It could make for a fun four day weekend!

Day 1: Non-stop Richmond to Key West
Day 2: Enjoy Key West, rest, eat and watch the weirdos and tourists on Duvall St.
Day 3 & 4: Ride home.
Ideas? Any experienced IBA riders out there?

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=1
My only suggestion is go somewhere where the temps are 55 or better. After 18 hours on a bike the cools temp really take a beating.

Also, I would do this alone. You have to maintain a pretty good pace and there is not much time fiddle around.

My brother did a IB from RIC to Key West last winter.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #12786
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
My only suggestion is go somewhere where the temps are 55 or better. After 18 hours on a bike the cools temp really take a beating.
Yeah, I'm thinking of postponing this until April. I've been very cold in Florida before!

Rick, we need to talk...curious about this crazy 1000 mile loop of the commonwealth! Do you have the route on a mapquest map? Could you send it to me?

Guy, you have a PM.

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 12:09 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #12787
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
Damn hunters using dogs to chase deer...........BTW, sorry for your loss Jimmy.

Was heading to Charles City, VA Saturday morning on RT 5 to visit some friends in Williamsburg, VA I had just past the turn off to RT 156, and BAM !!! A 10 point buck comes flying out of the woods and plows into the bed of my truck and antlers were going every where.

Cars coming in the other direction were slamming on their brakes and sliding into the ditch, it was a real mess. I stopped the truck, the deer was dead and 5 dogs come running out of the woods, each dog had a antenna hanging off their collar.

About a 2 minutes later 3 Bubba trucks arrive with dog boxes in their beds, I'm dragging the dead deer off the road, one of the hunters tells me to leave his deer alone. WHAT !!!!!!! His deer I said, I don't see any bullet holes in this SOB. Sue jumps out of the truck and tells me to calm down they have guns and I don't, but she did hand me the .357 from under the seat.

Just got the estimate to fix the truck, $2800, yes I have a deductible, but my rates are going to go up because I will file a claim.

Huntin with dogs should be against the law, sorry if I offend anyone but if I do offend you please explain to me where the sport is in that. It's a good thing I wasn't on the GSA, I would have been killed.

Guess it's time to get off my soap box.
Do you know the name of the hunt club? I go to church with a guy that hunts in CC. Super nice guy though.. Doubt he would try to claim the deer.

I'm with you on the dogs. I don't enjoy it. I like the stillness of the morning/evening. Kind of like fishing with a net, IMHO.

On that note.. I took these shots up at Big Meadows while camping last weekend. This dude was rutting big time. Chasing does and he paid NO mind to me. I got about 10' from him at one point.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #12788
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Start and stop points are based on where I live now and where I'll live in the Spring, so they can be tweaked to make sure all 1000 miles gets in. But ... click here to see it on Google.

And if we ever get a few days like yesterday, a ride to Florida would be great. Starting in the 70s and winding up even higher down there? Heck yea.

Quote:
Rick, we need to talk...curious about this crazy 1000 mile loop of the commonwealth! Do you have the route on a mapquest map? Could you send it to me?

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
Old 11-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #12789
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
Do you know the name of the hunt club? I go to church with a guy that hunts in CC. Super nice guy though.. Doubt he would try to claim the deer.

I'm with you on the dogs. I don't enjoy it. I like the stillness of the morning/evening. Kind of like fishing with a net, IMHO.

On that note.. I took these shots up at Big Meadows while camping last weekend. This dude was rutting big time. Chasing does and he paid NO mind to me. I got about 10' from him at one point.

Looks like that would have been about 6 points.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #12790
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Speaking of deer......

This 8-point was wandering through my sister's backyard up in St. Clairsville, OH Sunday morning.... and this is a fairly populated area. He would have had to jump a fence to get in there.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #12791
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Start and stop points are based on where I live now and where I'll live in the Spring, so they can be tweaked to make sure all 1000 miles gets in. But ... click here to see it on Google.

And if we ever get a few days like yesterday, a ride to Florida would be great. Starting in the 70s and winding up even higher down there? Heck yea.
That looks like fun, my only concern is that very long stretch on 58 (aka "Pirate Alley") when you are trying to make good time. I'm game...when were you thinking of doing this?
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #12792
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Kurt, glad you weren't on the bike. Sucks about the truck. 100% agree about the dogs, I have no understanding of this.. Grew up hunting on foot in the woods in Michigan.
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #12793
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Quote:
That looks like fun, my only concern is that very long stretch on 58 (aka "Pirate Alley") when you are trying to make good time. I'm game...when were you thinking of doing this?
LOL, never heard of Pirate Alley. Good thing to learn beforehand. :-)

No plans really. I was bored and wanted to see what could be done in Virginia. If we had a day like yesterday, that would have been great. LOL! But I fear the coming months are not going to be as welcoming. Then again, it would give me reason to buy a Gerbings. :-)

Old 11-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #12794
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
Kurt, glad you weren't on the bike. Sucks about the truck. 100% agree about the dogs, I have no understanding of this.. Grew up hunting on foot in the woods in Michigan.
As did I in PA. No dogs were ever a part of any hunt in the woods that I was a part of.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #12795
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
As did I in PA. No dogs were ever a part of any hunt in the woods that I was a part of.
It's kinda sad and pathetic in a way. (And I semi-apologize if I'm now describing any of you). Down where my father lives in the Northern Neck, they truck-hunt with dogs. Turn them loose on one side of a very large square bounded with roads (mile, maybe more), and sit in their trucks with CBs and coffee waiting to see which side they flush them too. Then it's just a quick number of steps away from the truck to be legal (yea, right), blammo, and back inside to tell everyone what a great hunter they are.

I don't hunt anymore (can't seem to find joy in the morning chill, would rather sleep in and wrangle goodies from someone who does), but I liked to think I was employing a skill. Whether still hunting or stalking, it felt like a challenge. Just can't see how you can get that feeling from inside an F150. :-)