ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #12811
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,089
Chuck, Those trails are a mess! I was laughing at you laughing inside your helmet. You were having too much fun!
Old 11-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #12812
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
John and Andrew .... My friend Mark and I went back out to West Point today. If you think it was wet last weekend you should have seen it today. Deep deep water and lots of it. Mark did well on his V-Strom 650 but he took a big hit today. In one of the puddles he hit a hole which sent him hurling into his windshield. Lesson here .... if you have an adjustable windshield set it low when riding off road. Bloody mess but he is ok. Here is a short clip of todays ride. Only a couple minutes long. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it2qHVEA6CU
I figured in would be nasty after that rain the other day!

I am planning an outing back there on Saturday noonish. So far Dirtdoctor, maybe Andrew, me and whoever else wants to come is welcome. We will meet in West Point.

j

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:58 AM   #12813
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 901
Mud ride

The West Point mud run is a lot of fun. Its a great way to learn more about your bike, what it can do and what your limits are. My advise to the guys who go back out there.... Start off slow. If you run through the mud and water too fast your going down. Under the water and in almost all of the wet muddy runs is a tire track. Stay in that track. Its wide enough to go through standing up but its deep. By saturday a lot of the water will be gone but there will still be a lot of sandy mud.

When you get done with the ride go straight to one of those car washes that has a power wand. Soak the bike with warm soap then go to work. Get as much of that milky white mud off the bike as you can. If your like me you will still have hours of cleaning once you get back home.

Oh ..... be careful of all the dogs and guys with bright orange hats. They are everywhere back there. You will get funny and sometime mean looks from the orange hats but its a public road so just smile and say hi.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #12814
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Where is this "mud" you guys are talking about near west point?

I would like to check it out this Saturday with you but got plans for other stuff.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:44 AM   #12815
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post
Today was my last day at the "work camp", I have now joined the ranks of the retired, just like Guy....but will seek a new career when my move is completed to the Buckeye state....

boy, it sure felt good to walk out of those doors for the last time.....but that's what I said the last time I quit there
This ones for good though
Hey Elvis, keep in touch, where about's in the Buckeye?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:52 AM   #12816
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
Thats not far at all. When I say Richmond area I mean I live in the wonderful city of Petersburg. I need to do a few things to my bike before shes safe to ride. My friend messed up the brake system. So I only have rear brakes.
You are not the only one enjoying the "Hood", we live in old town across from Maria's Italian place. #13. Stop on by sometime and chat. It is a store front, but we live upstairs and my garage is in the back.

If you need a place to work on the brakes, I've got a lift and lots of tools. Even more importantly, a refrigerator, stereo system, and climate control. Just let me know if you'd like to use it.

Welcome to P-town. We LOVE it here. Best kept secret in Virginia!

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #12817
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Graham: PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
Where is this "mud" you guys are talking about near west point?

I would like to check it out this Saturday with you but got plans for other stuff.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
Old 12-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #12818
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I don't know why, but I have a itch to do a Iron Butt SS1000 and see what the long distance fuss is all about. It seems that most everyone who participates in long distance riding seems to enjoy it very much. I've done the entire BRP (northbound) and then home in one day on a Triumph Scrambler and have gone from Cape Canaveral to Richmond (750 miles) in one day on a comfy Road King Classic and on a R1200ST. None of these rides seemed too difficult.
This might be challenging and fun! Anybody possibly interested in trying this with me? Route is yet to be determined but Key West is 1100 miles away. It could make for a fun four day weekend!

Day 1: Non-stop Richmond to Key West
Day 2: Enjoy Key West, rest, eat and watch the weirdos and tourists on Duvall St.
Day 3 & 4: Ride home.
Ideas? Any experienced IBA riders out there?

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=1
Eddy, we need to get together. I did this exact ride with a friend for his SS1000 qualification. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT DOING THIS ROUTE. The last 120 miles will be when you are exhausted, it will most likely be late at night when the bars are emptying, and the route down thru the Keys is 35-45 mph most of the time. Lots of police out, and just very frustrating when you are trying to knock off that last 100 miles. Sure, Key West is a great destination, and we did get plowed on Duvall Street when we got there, but it WAS NOT FUN on the way down.

Not all Iron Butt riders love it. I've done a half a dozen 1000+ mile days, but most were out of necessity because of the military counting the weekend as days of annual leave too. But I've just not gotten into massive distances, droning for hours, not seeing anything but the interstate, and never interacting with people along the way. Just not my cup of tea. YMMV. I'm now an advocate of the blue highways, seeing the sights, learning the history, and meeting the people.

Still, an SS1000 is a good way to test yourself for mental discipline. How do you know what your comfort zone is, if you never exceed it?

Anyway, call me or drop by and we can talk strategy and some routes. The Iron Butt certification for your ride is pretty extensive, but easy once you get a method.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:20 AM   #12819
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Sat Dec 3rd meet at 12:30PM at the corner of 14 and 33 in West Point, VA. You will see a brick Church at the corner. We will assemble there and then take a ride on some gravel roads and make our way to the jeep trails.

I'd like to see everyone keep the speed reasonable in the woods since they are running deer with dogs, guys with guns and big trucks, and who knows maybe the 'man' will be in there checking hunting licenses, etc.

Two guys have gone down hard in there in the last week, one with a bruised rib. It's fun but we got to follow Chucks advice and take it slow through the mud and deep water. Just my 2 centavos.

j

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
Old 12-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #12820
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,089
I'm in on Saturday's "Mud Ride" See you there! Greg, want to ride down and back with me? I'm trying to talk Chuck into going again and stop complaining about having to clean his GS! LOL!
Old 12-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #12821
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Good Luck Rich, I did not know you were retiring, and moving, I did see your post about loading the bikes up. Back to Ohio, hopefully you'll make some runs with us. Fair Winds for you my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post
Today was my last day at the "work camp", I have now joined the ranks of the retired, just like Guy....but will seek a new career when my move is completed to the Buckeye state....

boy, it sure felt good to walk out of those doors for the last time.....but that's what I said the last time I quit there
This ones for good though
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #12822
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
I figured in would be nasty after that rain the other day!

I am planning an outing back there on Saturday noonish. So far Dirtdoctor, maybe Andrew, me and whoever else wants to come is welcome. We will meet in West Point.

j
For anyone so inclined, a few of us are meeting at Man of Blues this coming Saturday around 10:30-11:00 am to load some bikes on a U-haul that he and Guy Young will be taking to Ohio.MOB's address is 65 Liberty Tree Lane, Hanover,VA.It is about half way between Rt 301 and Rt 360 just off Rt 30 near Dicks Country Store.He thinks it will take us about 40 minutes to load up the bikes.We will then head down Rt. 30 to West Point to meet up for a dual sport ride led by John Heckman (JHVA).All are welcome to join in.John has let us know where to meet in West Point at 12:30.PM me or JHVA or MOB if you have questions.

DirtDoctor screwed with this post 12-01-2011 at 08:51 AM Reason: clarification on meet up time
DirtDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #12823
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 901
mud ride

With no rain in the forecast it may be a little less wet by then. Just mud. Rolling in the mud. It may be worth going again just to bring the GoPro for Eddies mud nap.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #12824
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Sat Dec 3rd meet at 12:30PM at the corner of 14 and 33 in West Point, VA. You will see a brick Church at the corner. We will assemble there and then take a ride on some gravel roads and make our way to the jeep trails....j
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
For anyone so inclined, a few of us are meeting at Man of Blues this coming Saturday around 10:30-11:00 am.....
I'd like to get in on these...might have to spoon on the TKC front, Skorp's don't do well in mud.....can't commit until tomorrow....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #12825
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,665
Real pals....

How's this for muddy fun
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote