ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #12826
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
For anyone so inclined, a few of us are meeting at Man of Blues this coming Saturday around 10:30-11:00 am to load some bikes on a U-haul that he and Guy Young will be taking to Ohio.MOB's address is 65 Liberty Tree Lane, Hanover,VA.It is about half way between Rt 301 and Rt 360 just off Rt 30 near Dicks Country Store.He thinks it will take us about 40 minutes to load up the bikes.We will then head down Rt. 30 to West Point to meet up for a dual sport ride led by John Heckman (JHVA).All are welcome to join in.John has let us know where to meet in West Point at 12:30.PM me or JHVA or MOB if you have questions.
I was already planning on being at MOBs to help load up the bikes. But I have a question on the mud run ... I've never done it before. And I'm a pussy. LOL! My entire experience in off-roading on two wheels came from the Rawhyde training at Mortons this summer. So ... being both a n00b and the aforementioned pussy, am I going to slow down the group on this ride? I don't want to be the wet blanket. Nor do I want to trash my bike and I trying to keep up. So some frank advice here would be great.

- Rick

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #12827
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,271
Rick,
No! Plan to come along, we don't ride in formation. If someone has to wait, they will wait at the next turn.

Chuck,
Bring the GoPro! Last time my bike and I took a mud nap, I was on a XR200. This should be a bit more "fun" on the GS being 5" higher in the saddle with a 200 pound heavier bike! I'll be sure to bring a pocket full of quarters for the stop at the car wash on the way home!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #12828
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Rick,
No! Plan to come along, we don't ride in formation. If someone has to wait, they will wait at the next turn.

Chuck,
Bring the GoPro! Last time my bike and I took a mud nap, I was on a XR200. This should be a bit more "fun" on the GS being 5" higher in the saddle with a 200 pound heavier bike! I'll be sure to bring a pocket full of quarters for the stop at the car wash on the way home!
...... or mud hole, which ever comes first.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #12829
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 957
Mud Ride

Rick
Don't worry about holding up the group. This is a perfect ride to get your feet wet off road. Its less than 5 miles long and has plenty of solid ground to play on as well. I watched 5 dirt naps the first time we went out there. No one damaged a bike. Most of the mud riding will be less than 5 mph and all but one nap was just a lay over type fall. Just make sure you have some good tires.

Michhub ..... that was one funny video. Poor guy. At least we help each other pick up their bikes.

skychs screwed with this post 12-01-2011 at 10:57 AM
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #12830
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
I was already planning on being at MOBs to help load up the bikes. But I have a question on the mud run ... I've never done it before. And I'm a pussy. LOL! My entire experience in off-roading on two wheels came from the Rawhyde training at Mortons this summer. So ... being both a n00b and the aforementioned pussy, am I going to slow down the group on this ride? I don't want to be the wet blanket. Nor do I want to trash my bike and I trying to keep up. So some frank advice here would be great.

- Rick
Just show up Rick. Plenty of guys to help you get through it. Main thing is to follow what the Raw Hyde guys taught us to keep a relaxed hold on the handle bar when standing and let the bike handle the rough terrain.

The mud run is a few miles long but there are other roads I plan on tooling around on before we get to it etc

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #12831
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
How's this for muddy fun
Too funny. His "friends" sounded like they were really enjoying themselves at the "mud angel's" expense.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #12832
BillsburgGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Rick
Don't worry about holding up the group. This is a perfect ride to get your feet wet off road. Its less than 5 miles long and has plenty of solid ground to play on as well. I watched 5 dirt naps the first time we went out there. No one damaged a bike. Most of the mud riding will be less than 5 mph and all but one nap was just a lay over type fall. Just make sure you have some good tires.

Michhub ..... that was one funny video. Poor guy. At least we help each other pick up their bikes.

Rick, that was my first ride through muddy puddles. I'm the one whose right ribs got in a fight with his Barkguster after my pegs gave me a sucker heave coming out of a puddle.

AFTER that I paid attention to Chuck's simple advice "go slow, go steady, go straight". From that point on I went through dozens more and did not come close to dropping again.

Riding the forest roads is fun. But plowing through that crap on a Jeep trail is the real deal. Until you do it, having "GS" on your bike is like the suburban soccer mom that drives a Hummer, a poseur.

Chuck, your friend doing that a Strom is insane... He's either a really good rider or an.... Aaah never mind. I need another week off. I 've never bruised ribs before but man is it disabling. Laughing, sneezing, or bending/reaching can hurt like hell.
BillsburgGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #12833
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsburgGS View Post
Rick, that was my first ride through muddy puddles. I'm the one whose right ribs got in a fight with his Barkguster after my pegs gave me a sucker heave coming out of a puddle.

AFTER that I paid attention to Chuck's simple advice "go slow, go steady, go straight". From that point on I went through dozens more and did not come close to dropping again.

Riding the forest roads is fun. But plowing through that crap on a Jeep trail is the real deal. Until you do it, having "GS" on your bike is like the suburban soccer mom that drives a Hummer, a poseur.

Chuck, your friend doing that a Strom is insane... He's either a really good rider or an.... Aaah never mind. I need another week off. I 've never bruised ribs before but man is it disabling. Laughing, sneezing, or bending/reaching can hurt like hell.
Thankfully your ribs don't preclude you from shooting your 357 magnum! Those guys on lanes 6-8 this afternoon were armed security guard trainees...scary. The instructor told me they take their final practical tomorrow. He was having a hard time with a couple of guys that didn't want to listen to his instruction.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
Old 12-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #12834
MitchV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I don't know why, but I have a itch to do a Iron Butt SS1000 and see what the long distance fuss is all about. It seems that most everyone who participates in long distance riding seems to enjoy it very much. I've done the entire BRP (northbound) and then home in one day on a Triumph Scrambler and have gone from Cape Canaveral to Richmond (750 miles) in one day on a comfy Road King Classic and on a R1200ST. None of these rides seemed too difficult.
This might be challenging and fun! Anybody possibly interested in trying this with me? Route is yet to be determined but Key West is 1100 miles away. It could make for a fun four day weekend!

Day 1: Non-stop Richmond to Key West
Day 2: Enjoy Key West, rest, eat and watch the weirdos and tourists on Duvall St.
Day 3 & 4: Ride home.
Ideas? Any experienced IBA riders out there?

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=1

I would love to do something like this - keep me in the loop!

BTW, it is 1000 miles between Chester VA and New Orleans.
MitchV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #12835
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,221
Thumb

10:30 a.m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post

- Rick
Moving, I've never asked anything from my area peep,s,.... Bros, never asked a thing from my area, but I stupidly took a turf today, puttting my big balls, and leg out of action,,,,groin /hamstring pull
anyone willing to help load a couple bikes into a truck, would be apreciated, coffee and doughnuts will abound
this saturday 12-3-2011 (tomorrow) sending momma out for doughnuts, figure 60 or so should do,sweet tooth....?
i'll be covering your lunch chack also...
908-3336
thanks in advance
MoB
COG 5977

p/m me please

MAN OF BLUES screwed with this post 12-02-2011 at 09:39 AM
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:42 AM   #12836
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
I'm in for the saturday mud run in West Point. Put a new Shinko 244 on the back of the hack. I'm assuming there is no single track as I'll be on the sidecar rig. Can someone shoot me coordinates for the brick church. From where I'll be coming in from 33 and 14 are the same and i don't see a church on google maps street view.

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:08 AM   #12837
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

use ctrl + to enlarge picture

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
Old 12-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #12838
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 809
Laugh

Well Jeff I really appreciate the offer! I might take you up on it. I have a storage unit with no power and my apartment. If the wifes at work then I can get away with putting plastic sheeting on the carpet and push my bike in. But if she comes home early then im gonna be in the dog house.

Mastro said that hes going to ship the brakes today from Ontario, Canada. I'll keep ya'll posted on when they arrive.

My wife and I tried to eat at Marias on Sunday, I shoulda read the website. She was kinda pissed when we got there and it was closed. Ended up eating at that mexican resturaunt down the street. Good stuff.

I live off County Dr, near Crater Rd. Have you heard of Acqua Apartments? Its my Ghetto Oasis. Pretty snazzy place. It's gated and has a moat in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
You are not the only one enjoying the "Hood", we live in old town across from Maria's Italian place. #13. Stop on by sometime and chat. It is a store front, but we live upstairs and my garage is in the back.

If you need a place to work on the brakes, I've got a lift and lots of tools. Even more importantly, a refrigerator, stereo system, and climate control. Just let me know if you'd like to use it.

Welcome to P-town. We LOVE it here. Best kept secret in Virginia!

jeff
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #12839
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Man is accidentally shot in the butt by his own dog

Dogs are man's best friend. Except, you know, when they're shooting a gun at you.

And strangely enough, that's what really happened to a hapless dog owner in Brigham City, Utah. The man in question--a 46-year-old hunting enthusiast who is not named in local news reports on the incident--got a behind-full of birdshot courtesy of his loyal canine companion when he was out duck hunting over the weekend.

KSL.com reports the man and his dog were traveling in a canoe-like boat when the man stepped out into a shallow marsh to set up some decoys. His left his 12-gauge shotgun resting across the bow of the boat, according to Box Elder County Sheriff's Deputy Kevin Potter.

That's when the dog "did something to make the gun discharge," Potter said. "I don't know if the safety device was on. It's not impossible the dog could have taken it off safety."

Apparently excited to join his owner in the marsh, the dog jumped up on the boat's bow and stepped on the gun. The gun was fired, hitting the man in the buttocks with 27 pellets of birdshot.

The man promptly called 9-1-1, and is now reportedly recovering. Potter said that thanks to a well-positioned pair of waders--the hip-length rubber boots he was wearing at the time--the dog owner was able to avoid a more serious gunshot wound.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #12840
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,221
just a bump, to keep it open...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post

Moving, I've never asked anything from my area peep,s,.... Bros, never asked a thing from my area, but I stupidly took a turf today, puttting my big balls, and leg out of action,,,,groin /hamstring pull
anyone willing to help load a couple bikes into a truck, would be apreciated, coffee and doughnuts will abound
this saturday 12-3-2011 (tomorrow) sending momma out for doughnuts, figure 60 or so should do,sweet tooth....?
i'll be covering your lunch chack also...
908-3336
thanks in advance
MoB
COG 5977

p/m me please
bumping to keep this visible...thanks in advance
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote