ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #13231
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Jeff, does P'burg have a Retail Merchant's Assoc., and or local BBB??

Collectively, the local businesses should approach them about the (negative) actions of this business and employee. Seems to me that they could be black-balled into submission to the point they'd have to close their doors. The "damage" caused may keep this location from ever being considered again.

My .02
Oh the good side, the Virginia Film Board is aware of it, the Petersburg Tourism Office is aware of it, the Mayor and city council are aware of it, and everyone knows that it was the actions mostly of one particular business, and NOT the city. Overall I'm hoping that the movie company is going to take away to good feeling about our town. I know they've been scouting this town for this film, for years.

With all that said, all of those entities also are now aware of the type of business owner at Andrade's. He went on CBS News to complain about the adverse impact on his business.... so wait until he sees the result of his actions, and the adverse affect it will have in the future. I've spoken to dozens of people and friends down here, and we are all of the same opinion. We are all going to ensure that the adverse impact on his business lasts long after the movie company is gone. That is our choice as residents and potential customers. We vote with our dollars. Word of mouth can have a great impact on a service oriented business.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:09 AM   #13232
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Re: Jeff's Rant: Someone may want to add a review to yelp.com so when said restaurant is googled the review pops up.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #13233
Jeff Munn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Re: Jeff's Rant: Someone may want to add a review to yelp.com so when said restaurant is googled the review pops up.
Thanks John. I will do that, once the movie company has left town and there can't be anything bad reflected back on them. They are very sensitive to bad publicity and I'm not going to go postal on Andrade's until they are clear of here. I don't want a news organization picking up on this drama right now. The movie company doesn't deserve it to be sucked into a local issue.

Maybe I shouldn't even have posted this until they were gone. I'm just really pissed, and I rarely get this emotional about something. Think I'll go take a walk with my wife and chill. That would be a good thing.

j

Old 12-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #13234
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
For those with daughter's at home.

I found this on another ADV Riders thread. It hit home, to bad I didn't see this about 20 years ago.

http://www.hightechdad.com/wp-conten...y_daughter.pdf
Old 12-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #13235
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Thanks John. I will do that, once the movie company has left town and there can't be anything bad reflected back on them. They are very sensitive to bad publicity and I'm not going to go postal on Andrade's until they are clear of here. I don't want a news organization picking up on this drama right now. The movie company doesn't deserve it to be sucked into a local issue.

Maybe I shouldn't even have posted this until they were gone. I'm just really pissed, and I rarely get this emotional about something. Think I'll go take a walk with my wife and chill. That would be a good thing.

j
Go get something to eat.

Might I suggest a restaurant????
Old 12-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #13236
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 938
Petersburg RestauRANT

Jeff,

As you know, Kristen and I had a great time at Maria's and we always enjoy spending time in Petersburg. It's not even a little bit surprising that an individual or two would do their best to ruin a great thing. I trust that you and most of your neighbors were such a shining counterpoint that those bad seeds made little impression in the end.

We will continue to spend our dollars at Maria's and Demolition Coffee while avoiding Andrade's like the plague. I've heard that they have cockroaches and their food causes erectile dysfunction anyway.

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #13237
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Ah, make that Kitchen 64:

http://www.kitchen64.com/

It's right around the corner from the Science Museum.
We ended up eating at Joe's Inn this morning. Great little place in the Fan.

http://www.joesinn.com

K64 doesn't open until 11am on the weekdays.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #13238
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 1,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
I WILL NEVER SET FOOT IN THAT RESTARAUNT AGAIN.
Okay, rant off.
jeff
Jeff,
I'm stunned... That is VERY unfortunate after what everyone has done for him. Not only does it make him look like an ass but it makes Old Town, the merchants, Petersburg and the area in general look bad. He has treated me and my parents very well during the last few years. Thanks for the heads up...I'll buy you a beer as I want to know what happened. I'll pass your rant off to the hispanic community.
No problem Jeff, I'll cease fire immediately.

On another note...I recently purchase a big roll of SOLAS tape and was given some Reflexite as well. I love this stuff (I'm a safety dork) but I need to share some of this stuff before my bike, helmet, truck, RV, my son's dirtbike and my kids bicycles look like extras from a Tron movie! I can't help myself...I'll admit it, it's an addiction...I'll post pictures soon. Try not to laugh too hard...
Attached Images

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 12-19-2011 at 10:45 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #13239
Jeff Munn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Jeff,
I'll buy you a beer as I want to know what happened. I'll pass your rant off to the hispanic community.
Thanks Eddy, but I really didn't want my rant going viral until the movie company had cleared town. I really don't want a news station picking up on this "incident in old town" and trying to make something of it. Once they are gone, I'll continue with Yelp and a personal meeting with Rigo, then posting to the restaraunt's facebook page.

So can we keep it amongst ourselves until at least Thursday? Yeah, I should have thought of that before venting...... I can see the ever expanding ripples in the internet right now....

Old 12-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #13240
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 636
Jeff, sounds like a good time for a vacation. Sending you - and all - some holiday cheer:

MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #13241
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Jeff, sounds like a good time for a vacation. Sending you - and all - some holiday cheer:

From Switzerland???
Old 12-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #13242
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
From Switzerland???
Ja.
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #13243
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
To celebrate the season of a spinning top, a fatherless child, and a "me too" holiday, I invite you all to join me in a bowl of Pho next Friday at lunch. (Xmas Eve Squared).

Yea, I know. It makes little sense, but I wouldn't mind sharing a table at Pho So 1 with any and all of my Richmond friends, as we nosh on the greatest bowl of goodness to come out of the Far East. Anyone wanna join me? (And yes, they have non-pho too, for those of you without taste. LOL)

Off Horsepen Road, just down from Parham. 11:30 (before it fills up)?

Oh, and Happy Christmahanakwanzika.
Just trying to get my calendar sync'd with the stars..........

We still on for who flung Pho on Friday - AND - possibly Kuba Kuba one night this week???

Inquiring minds and appetites want to know.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #13244
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
From Matt Danielson:

Last week Tom McGrath defended two motorcyclists who were charged with riding two abreast. For those who were not on the distribution list when this story first ran, it is considered reckless driving in Virginia for two motorcycles to ride next to each other in the same lane. In 48 of the 50 states it is perfectly legal. Only Vermont and Virginia make it illegal and only Virginia makes it punishable by up to 12 months in jail, a $2,500 fine and a loss of your operatorís license. In this case the two riders, one of whom has a commercial driverís license, pulled up next to each other at a stop light in Crewe, Virginia. When the light turned green they started off together and then separated shortly thereafter. Because of the short distance traveled side-by-side, the judge felt that he had no choice but to find the evidence sufficient to convict both of reckless driving. However, upon being informed that this year there will be a bill before the General Assembly to repeal this prohibition, the judge agreed to continue the disposition until after the General Assembly session. Hopefully we will be successful.

Two weeks ago Jim Cannon and I drove up to Harrisonburg to meet with Delegate Tony Wilt about this issue. He is the Delegate for the Harrisonburg area and is a rider himself. I am happy to report that Delegate Wilt has graciously and enthusiastically agreed to carry a bill to amend the Code of Virginia to allow two motorcycles to travel abreast in the same lane. Being that there is absolutely no data from the 48 states which allow this practice to show that it is causing accidents, it does not seem appropriate to hang a reckless driving conviction around a law abiding citizenís neck for an act that is not reckless. If you would like to thank Delegate Wilt for carrying this legislation for us he can be reached at DelTWilt@house.virginia.gov

As mentioned in an earlier post, Delegate Todd Gilbert has agreed to be the patron for our bill that will prohibit motorcycle only checkpoints in the Commonwealth of Virginia. It was unanimously agreed upon at this year's legislative round table that this bill was our number one priority this session. If passed it will put to an end the discriminatory practice of targeting motorcyclists with checkpoints such as the one conducted in Arlington this year during Rolling Thunder. For those who are unfamiliar with that checkpoint I have attached the article which was written about it earlier this year. If you would like to thank Delegate Gilbert for carrying this bill for us he can be reached at DelTGilbert@house.virginia.gov

I would again invite all who can to attend this yearís Lobby Day events. They will begin on Sunday January 15 at 12:00 pm. Virginia Coalition of Motorcyclists lobbyists will lead an informational meeting at the Holiday Inn Airport at 445 International Center Dr., Sandston, VA 23150 to discuss this year's legislation affecting motorcyclists. We will discuss the two bills mentioned above, and as always there will be numerous bills submitted at the last minute which will negatively affect motorcycling. As these bills are filed we will be able to identify them and discuss them at Lobby Day so that we can convince the legislators why they are bad bills. Those who participated in last yearís Lobby Day remember the bill that we killed that would have prohibited children under eight from riding on a motorcycle as a passenger. With the help of Virginia motorcyclists we were able to make the argument that since no children under eight had been killed on a motorcycle in the past ten years, we as parents were doing a pretty good job of deciding when our children were old enough to safely ride as passengers on a motorcycle. The bill was unanimously defeated in sub-committee.

After the informational session, attendees will enjoy a free homemade BBQ dinner made by Stewart Newton and provided by several Virginia motorcycle rights organizations including ABATE of Virginia and the Virginia Bikers Association.
On Monday the 16th we leave the Holiday Inn at 8:00 am sharp for our annual trip to the Capitol. After lobbying our legislators, we will attend the opening of the House of Delegates daily session and be recognized from the floor. Afterwards, Tom McGrath's Motorcycle Law Group takes everyone to Penny Lane Pub for lunch as a thank you for coming to support Virginia Motorcyclists.

For more information you can call VCOM at (800) 437-9434. For Room Reservations call (804) 236-1111 and ask for the VCOM rate.

As always if you have any comments or questions about anything that I have written please feel free to contact me. I hope to see you in January.

Matt Danielson
McGrath & Danielson
Tom McGrath's Motorcycle Law Group
1-800-321-8968
Motorcyclelawgroup.com

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #13245
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Just trying to get my calendar sync'd with the stars..........

We still on for who flung Pho on Friday - AND - possibly Kuba Kuba one night this week???

Inquiring minds and appetites want to know.
Ummmm .... phooooooo! I'm drooling already. :-)

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote