ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #13396
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhof View Post
If you have the time it pays to roll your own, 9MM not really that great, maybe 5-6 a box (50) now 357 is a big savings, don;t have a 45 but that's another big savings, in the winter I reload a lot, beats the boredom. Roger come on over and I'll show you how, you can shoot more.....
Yea, bordom, that's something I have a lot of!!!!! I am considering it though for the 357, maybe when I transfer?
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #13397
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,280
Greg,
I am quite pleased with my Anakees. I have put over 5,000 miles on them since mid-August and they still have a lot of life left in them. Thery are good on-road, off-road and very good in the rain. They are acceptably quiet on the highway but they do hum a bit over 70mph. As you know, they are pricey. I may try a set of 705's when these wear out if you like them. Some complain that while it's by far the best tire for wet pavement, it is limited off road. Chuck and I though they did remarkably well on the mud road.
I hear TKC's are great off-road but squirrley on the highway/twisties and your big ass Adventure will eat them to the steel belts in 3,000 to 4,000 miles. They look cool too!
EXP's: Great on road/sporty tire very limited off road. Never tried them myself.
Michelin: Never tried them on a GS but have had great experiences on many other bikes, love them, great wear.
The point is that there is no perfect tire for our perfect, two wheeled Swiss army tanks. (I can hear Guy laughing! He once told me that after fixing the gearbox on that R1150R that he wouldn't have a BMW if it were given to him, LOL!)
My goal is to find a used set of wheels so that I can keep the Anakees for daily commuting and spirtied riding and have a spare set of wheels with TKC's on them for weekends off-road.
P.S. Did you get the pictures I sent you this morning?
Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #13398
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
really depends how much you shoot, and how much you want to invest, Lee's the way to go on the low cost side, you can always upgrade to a dillion if you get into it, I have the Lee classic turrent (4 station) which suits me fine, I can make a 100 9's or 357's in an hour, so not that fast, it's good to do as an extention to the hobby. Don't quote me but you should be able to start with about 150 in equipt (Lee Turrent 4 station). Then of course your primers, bullet's and powder, start saving your brass if you're thinking of reloading, there a big cost, but if your in a club you can get a bunch from non-reloaders. Do it you'll enjoy it.
Tommy, have the components (bullets, brass, primers) gotten less expensive? Not too long ago, the stuff was through the roof if you could even find them.

Not that I'm planning on doing any reloading, but was just curious. Personally, I've got enough "stuff" in all the calibers I use squirreled away to last me for a good, long while.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #13399
tg4360
Misfit Toy

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Tommy, have the components (bullets, brass, primers) gotten less expensive? Not too long ago, the stuff was through the roof if you could even find them.

Not that I'm planning on doing any reloading, but was just curious. Personally, I've got enough "stuff" in all the calibers I use squirreled away to last me for a good, long while.

Cost savings depends on the particular round these days.

Careful. It's addictive too.

You'll find yourself making empties to be able to fill them again. The equation goes, "Reload=Shoot more=More Money.)

Jeff is happy that we are refilling his .243 brass. I think we figured we've got the cost down to less than half per round but he's made more empties than he normally does.

Just like having a magazine for a particular rifle making you NEED to find the rifle for them (I have several M-14 mags just begging to be used), or tanks and side covers or rims for a particular bike ("Hey! I've got a rack of carbs for a '70s XS-750!)

I can't imagine the trouble I'd get in if I had a Bridgeport and the knowledge to use one.

TG
tg4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #13400
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,407
Oddly enough, I've kept all the .357 brass 'cause they stay with the gun once popped. Not the same with .45ACP. It get slung out and I'm too lazy to go pick it up. Also, a good majority of it has been the aluminum Blazer, which can't be reloaded.

A lot of my 30-06 for my Garands is surplus. It too gets slung out but would be hesitant on reloading it due to its age. Ditto with the 30 Carbine... altho' I do have a bunch of Aquila that's current manufacture, so may start rounding up those casings.

5.56? Just didn't seem worth it.

Once I start using the 7.62 x 51 in the M1A, I may rustle that stuff up too.

Who knows. If I can keep all the fire and brimstone in the lower level, the loft may see a bench and reloader sometime in the future. Lord knows I keep all my current stash up there anyway. If this place ever goes up in smoke, I wanna be miles away from here; it ain't gonna be pretty.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #13401
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Oddly enough, I've kept all the .357 brass 'cause they stay with the gun once popped. Not the same with .45ACP. It get slung out and I'm too lazy to go pick it up. Also, a good majority of it has been the aluminum Blazer, which can't be reloaded.

A lot of my 30-06 for my Garands is surplus. It too gets slung out but would be hesitant on reloading it due to its age. Ditto with the 30 Carbine... altho' I do have a bunch of Aquila that's current manufacture, so may start rounding up those casings.

5.56? Just didn't seem worth it.

Once I start using the 7.62 x 51 in the M1A, I may rustle that stuff up too.

Who knows. If I can keep all the fire and brimstone in the lower level, the loft may see a bench and reloader sometime in the future. Lord knows I keep all my current stash up there anyway. If this place ever goes up in smoke, I wanna be miles away from here; it ain't gonna be pretty.

Tom will take your 357 brass
COG 5903
Old 12-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #13402
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:

Like everything I try and keep it simple, I use Bullseye powder 16-20 bucks a pound (7000 grains) depending where you buy it.

Primers again 3-4.50 per hundred
Bought some Tula (russian for 20 bucks a thousand, I prefer CCI

Bullets 9MM I use precision delta 1000, 80 bucks

357 158 Lead Semi Wad Cutter (LSWC) 1000, 65 bucks

I typically use 4.3 grs of bullseye for 9MM, for 357 here's where the fun is, you can go as low as 4.0 grs to 6.2 can go higher but I play it safe

Going to get Roger addicted tomorrow

I really like it more of a hobby, when I'm bored I'll go to the garage and pump out 50-100, I keep it set with with 357 's dyes for a few weeks till I have a bunch then I'll switch it over to 9's a run a bunch...
straight walls are easy, getting into rifle bottle necks are a little more difficult I hear
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #13403
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Like everything I try and keep it simple, I use Bullseye powder 16-20 bucks a pound (7000 grains) depending where you buy it.

Primers again 3-4.50 per hundred
Bought some Tula (russian for 20 bucks a thousand, I prefer CCI

Bullets 9MM I use precision delta 1000, 80 bucks

357 158 Lead Semi Wad Cutter (LSWC) 1000, 65 bucks

I typically use 4.3 grs of bullseye for 9MM, for 357 here's where the fun is, you can go as low as 4.0 grs to 6.2 can go higher but I play it safe

Going to get Roger addicted tomorrow

I really like it more of a hobby, when I'm bored I'll go to the garage and pump out 50-100, I keep it set with with 357 's dyes for a few weeks till I have a bunch then I'll switch it over to 9's a run a bunch...
straight walls are easy, getting into rifle bottle necks are a little more difficult I hear
I just want to get into it as I'm afraid to shoot Toms ammo.
COG 5903
Old 12-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #13404
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,793
For the first time ever my fortune cookie had the usual words of wisdom & lottery numbers but now instead of
'learn chinese' I got the Spanish translation on the other side

:-) Worry changes a person's personality 1 0 5 11 22 8 36 42 33

:-) La preoccupacion cambria la personalidad de una persona

Is that really a fortune?
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"

Michhub screwed with this post 12-29-2011 at 05:35 PM
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #13405
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
I just want to get into it as I'm afraid to shoot Toms ammo.
yea I do get a little bit nervous when somebody (especially a good friend) is shooting my reloads as you can tell by my garage my QA standards are low.
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #13406
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
Greg, I have a shinko 705 on the front of my wee. Seems like a god all arround tire except for mud. The tread is not open enough to clear. No issues but feels odd if under inflated on the front. For the price they seem worth a try to me. They do follow grooves in the pavement.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #13407
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
For the first time ever my fortune cookie had the usual words of wisdom & lottery numbers but now instead of
'learn chinese' I got the Spanish translation on the other side

:-) Worry changes a person's personality 1 0 5 11 22 8 36 42 33

:-) La preoccupacion cambria la personalidad de una persona

Is that really a fortune?

That's funny!
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #13408
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
New Year's Day Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
From Rusty Gross:

Hi Everyone,

Here is the information regarding the New Years Day ride that we hope that you and your friends can make for the first day of the 2012 season.

The meet up location is at the Food Lion Grocery Store --2589 New Kent Hwy. "Quinton Va.23141. It is off I-64 "exit 205 Bottoms Bridge exit. Turn left and continue until you see the shopping center on your right. We will assemble there for a brief safety instructions before departing @ 11A.M.

The ride will be an easy scenic route through the back roads to the "Wasabi Restaurant" with safe and secure parking for us .They have a great buffet lunch for $7.99 + tip and your drinks. After everyone is maxxed out you can tour Williamsburg and enjoy the spirit of the Christmas scenery ,form your own ride to somewhere else or head home to either do chores or watch football etc.

This is just a fun thing to do and is not any official ride so feel free to bring your friends .

Wasabi Restaurant
1203 Richmond Rd.
Williamsburg, Va 23185

See ya there,

j
For anyone west or south of Richmond and planning on doing the New Years Day Ride to Williamsburg; some of us are meeting at my Dental Office (3525 Iron Bridge Road,Richmond, Va 23234) at 10:15 AM Sunday morning and leaving about 10:25 to ride to Quinton for the meet up.Feel free to join us and PM me if you know you're going for sure and we'll look for you at the office.All are welcome.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:48 AM   #13409
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,768
I saw a guy reloading at the Amelia WMA range 15 years ago. He had a cast bullet rifle. He would take primed brass,measure powder into it, stand it up in a little maple box, fit the paper patched cast bullet into that brass then put on the little maple box top and smack it hard with his hand.

He had built that rifle and it looked like a science project gone bad. the stock resembled something closer to lumber. He would put 10 rounds under a quarter at 100 yds and most of them under a dime.

I want to reload when I retire to the farm in a few years. 357, 45, 7-30, 7 mag. My little dream gun would be a black powder 45-90 or 45-110 falling block.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 12-30-2011 at 10:58 AM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #13410
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
I need to go to a doctor. Any recommendations?

I started a new job on Wednesday as a massage therapist.
Wednesday night I started to not feel so good.
First thing Thursday morning I called them to let them know I wasn't feeling well.
They told me they need me to come in anyway in the evening, but they'll try to rescheule all my appointments.

That evening I get there and they tell me I can't work and I should have called in sick.
No one ever got notified that I'd called earlier, and I can't remember the name of the person to whom I spoke. No appointments were rescheduled.
Anyway, they send me home. (I live over an hour away, so this was slightly annoying.)

This morning I wake up and my nose is still running, but I'm feeling a little better. Still, can't do any massage work if your nose keeps dripping on clients, so I call work again and tell them I'm still sick. They say I need to have a doctors note to prove I'm sick.

So, I need to go see a doctor to have him write a note that says I'm sick. I get off my other job at 3:30 today (I work two jobs, 7-3 at one where I can't call out, and 4:30-10 at the massage place).

So, I'll be leaving Chester Va around 3:30, and need to find a doctor. I've never actually done this before, since I'm used to having to show up whether or not I'm sick, and I usually get over infections in two days or so without seeing a doctor. I haven't gone to a doctor in probably 7 years for minor things like flu or conjunctivitis--I just stay in bed for two days and them I'm good. And even before then I was at JMU so I'd just go to the health center on campus.

Anyway.... I've never done this before. Where does someone go to get a doctors note? Do you make an appointment at some doctors office, or are you supposed to go to one of those "Patient First" places? I thought doctors office, but someone else said not to do that because it can take days to get an appointment.

I have some crappy health insurance from Aetna if that makes a difference. Cheaper would be best--I really don't have much money right now, especially with missing two days of work (Well, two shifts...).

Advice?