ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #13486
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Speaking of user wisdom...quick survey for ya'll...did you buy a vest or full sleeve heated liner?
Would you change if you could from what you bought?
Lastly, heated gloves or grips & the good or bad on those?
You can tell I've got an itchy trigger finger....

Just so you know I'm zeroed in on Gerbings so brand is not the question unless you know something I don't....TIA
I purchased my first heated gear (Widder vest and gloves) after riding close to 25 years (~1991). Similar comment to self: why in Hades did you wait so long? Worked well, but no heat for arms, or connection for same with my early version.

Up-graded to a used Gerbings jacket (type without the built-in insulation, and gloves about 8 years ago. Worked well, but decided on one of the newer insulated ones (non-micro finewire or whatever it's called) about 3 years ago. Works very well, but do have some complaints.
:
1. Even tho' I fitted it up at Mortons, still fits too loose around the torso and you lose heat; the Widder vest fit snug. Usually wear a sweatshirt over it to pull it in tighter and to help trap the heat.
2. Sleeve pigtails for gloves are shorter on the this one than my old version.... makes connecting the gloves a PITA so I rarely use them.
3. Heat troller croaked after a couple of years. Self-inflicted 'cause I unplugged my connection to the bike without turning it off first (grabbing a tag in P'burg). I have heard of others having a similar problem.

Good luck in your decision. Whichever one you choose will seem like a revelation the first time you use it.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #13487
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 901
Spirited ride last week.

Madstrom, JerseyMark and I headed over to WV for a spirited ride December 30th. Once again I am amazed how well the V-Strom's do in the twisties. Starting temp that day was 31 degrees.
At the end of 420 miles I was warm and comfy thanks to heated gear.

This is also a test inserting YouTube videos. Mac's Safari will not let me insert YouTube videos. I had to go to FireFox (a different browser) to get the A/A emblem.

skychs screwed with this post 01-03-2012 at 06:05 AM
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #13488
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,506
Some of you cats will enjoy this. I like the MXer that appears briefly.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #13489
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Madstrom, JerseyMark and I headed over to WV for a spirited ride December 30th. Once again I am amazed how well the V-Strom's do in the twisties. Starting temp that day was 31 degrees.

This is also a test inserting YouTube videos. Mac's Safari will not let me insert YouTube videos. I had to go to FireFox (a different browser) to get the A/A emblem.

Nevermind. I couldn't see the original because it's blocked here, and I thought it didn't make it.

pplassm screwed with this post 01-03-2012 at 10:44 AM
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #13490
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Been busy burning my legs up in the Jungfrau.

For Jeff Munn, TG4360, and anyone else who has been to or is curious about the Jungfrau, a few highlights:

Looking toward Mt. Schilthorn / Piz Gloria (peak 1/4 way from right), Murren (center of pic), and the cliffs in the Lauterbrunnen-Steckelberg valley with the boatload of waterfalls.

Hope everyone on the NYD ride had a great and safe ride, and HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!
Damn. You had to go and post pictures of the one thing I miss about Europe.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #13491
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
X2 on what everyone said about gerbings.. You do want a snug fit like Guy said. Makes a big difference.

I have all the stuff.. Jacket, gloves(T5), pants, and insoles. I really only use the jacket and gloves though.

My controller is not a gerbings though. I have a warm n safe controller. Supposed to be better than the gerbings??

http://www.warmnsafe.com/index.php?m...h3fft1f2g4m9a1

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #13492
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 662
Speedflying, light. :)

Let's see if I can figure out video embed from SmugMug...

Video 1. Pilot taking us for some spins.

Video 2. The landing. Not quite per plan, but had me cracking up, especially after seeing how spectacularly ungraceful it was on video. Not audible, for all the static due to the camera bouncing around: He, "Oopala"; Me, "Where is the word 'stand' in all of that?"

Edit: figured out how to embed properly when using Thunderbird instead of Mac's Safari.

MotoMujer screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 05:13 AM
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #13493
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post

Good stuff Chuck, especially the last 2 mins. Was that Bluegrass Rd?...
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #13494
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
That was a well run group ride, and a nice lunch.

Well done.
yes it was I have to ride a big group ride every few years to remind myself why I don't ride in 'em

great spot for lunch too bad I wasn't very hungry. I'll go back to Wasabi

view is 1 GW behind Rusty in the middle.

IBA#10787

We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #13495
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Sargent Enduro Seat w/ Lava Orange piping for F 650/800 GS for sale

Sargent Enduro Seat with Lava Orange piping in excellent condition with about 500 miles on it.

I gave my wife my F 650 GS when I purchased a new GSA and the Enduro seat is too tall for her.

So she gets a new Touring Sargent seat and I'm selling the slightly used one.

Picture available upon request.

Price: $335.00, including S / H to lower 48

Contact Kurt Nordstrom @ kwnsdn at gmail dot com
Old 01-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #13496
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
I have to ride a big group ride every few years to remind myself why I don't ride in 'em
Ya know, you're right. It was nice getting together with folks, but 50 people in a stick is very limiting.

I don't mind riding with the BMW Riders once a month because usually less than 10 folks head out, and that's manageable. But a large group ride tends to be extremely slow moving ... and frankly kinda boring.

Riding back with you guys was fun though. Taking turns popping in front of each other at the end made for some grins. A little cat and mouse never hurt anyone. :-) Too bad Greg's bike won't go past 50mph. LOL! (Just kidding! I keed! I keed!).

Usually I prefer to ride solo. Stop when you want. Speed when you can. Turn whenever the mood strikes. But it is nice to have someone to talk to when you do finally stop.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #13497
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Speaking of user wisdom...quick survey for ya'll...did you buy a vest or full sleeve heated liner?
Would you change if you could from what you bought?
Lastly, heated gloves or grips & the good or bad on those?
You can tell I've got an itchy trigger finger....

Just so you know I'm zeroed in on Gerbings so brand is not the question unless you know something I don't....TIA
I like my Warm n Safe jacket over my Gerbings jacket. Warm N Safe jacket has spandex panels down the sides which help keep the jacket snug to your body. The Gerbings never fit as well as the WNS so it never transfered the heat as well.

I had a vest I didn't like it nearly as much as a jacket, plus like Skippi said the jacket gives you a place to plug in your gloves.

I like the Warm N Safe controller better than my Gerbings controller, because the knob is larger and easier to adjust with winter gloves on.

I like Heated Gloves over Grips. The gloves heat everything but your plam, and grips only heat your palm. Gloves are helped immensly by a good set of hand guards, and I've even taken to using hippo hands when temps get below 40 so I don't have to run the gloves wide open all the time.

Grips are nice because they're there if you need them when things get a bit cool.

If you're loading anything more than gloves, and jacket up to your KTM, you might want to get a volt meter as well. I regularly run jacket, gloves, pants and socks on my Vstrom, but I also unplug a headlight so I get an extra 60 Watts.

If you've got the dough, Warm N Safe has some wirelessly controlled thermostats. Those are the bees knees. It's nice to be able to put the controller anywhere you want and keep the wiring all tucked up in your jacket.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #13498
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Ya know, you're right. It was nice getting together with folks, but 50 people in a stick is very limiting.

I don't mind riding with the BMW Riders once a month because usually less than 10 folks head out, and that's manageable. But a large group ride tends to be extremely slow moving ... and frankly kinda boring.

Riding back with you guys was fun though. Taking turns popping in front of each other at the end made for some grins. A little cat and mouse never hurt anyone. :-) Too bad Greg's bike won't go past 50mph. LOL! (Just kidding! I keed! I keed!).

Usually I prefer to ride solo. Stop when you want. Speed when you can. Turn whenever the mood strikes. But it is nice to have someone to talk to when you do finally stop.
Well, I said it was going to be 20+ people, so if you knew that up front then ya get what ya get. I don't normally like riding in large groups either but once a year is fine.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #13499
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
yes it was I have to ride a big group ride every few years to remind myself why I don't ride in 'em
I remember a ride with you and about 20 other folks. Somewhere around Staunton we all stopped to get gas. Folks started gabbin, you hopped on and took off and left about half of them there shootin the breeze. The ride got a bit more spirited after that as well.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #13500
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Well, I said it was going to be 20+ people, so if you knew that up front then ya get what ya get. I don't normally like riding in large groups either but once a year is fine.
Yup. And again, I need to blame someone for my complete lack of self-control at the buffet. It obviously wasn't my fault that I went through so many plates ... and then loaded up on dessert. This is America after all, where personal issues must be blamed on others. So ... who was the designated idiot that caused me to overeat? The TV commercials said I could sue someone since I was the victim. LOL!

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote