ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #14296
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Greg, appreciate the call. Will see you at your office a little before 9:00.

I'll see y'all there too, shortly before 9.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #14297
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,365
Safe travels. I hope it is everything you wanted and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I'm leaving in the morning in borrowed pickup to get my new set of wheels. Have to drive to DE and back. Otherwise I would join everyone tomorrow. I'll post pics though tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #14298
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,089
Dang...my dear wife kept the kids downstairs and let me sleep in, I overslept for the ride. I need to study for a few hours today anyways, I have to take my re-certification boards in three weeks.

Ride sane...
Old 03-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #14299
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,365
I slept in today too. 7am I'm so used to getting up at 0415.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #14300
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,665
BBQ ride

Made it back safe & dry...thanks for joining me today fellas...bet you won't let me lead anymore it kinda fell apart
at the end but we made it...there was a familiar hack already there...VACommuter ambushed us

It was very good and filling to say the least...

Afterward I walked out back and got a secret tour of where the magic happens.....pork bellies...

Ribs up top and pork butts bottom...

See ya at the next one!
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #14301
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Sunday's Q Ride to Gordonsville and the BBQ Exchange

I had a great time riding with you guys today.Nice to meet you Danny. Thanks for leading us Mike...you did well and the gravel was fun too!! Only problem is folks put up too many fences these days... We missed you Eddy.Here's looking forward to next time.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #14302
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 901
Todays Ride

Sorry I missed you guys today. Looks like a great time was had by all. Wow... look at the food. Maybe next time.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #14303
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Good to meet you Greg. And Mike, Guy, John and Mike. Mike tried to find us a decent dirt road, but it just wasn't happening. Fun riding anyway though. We'll have to go again soon.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #14304
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
It was a great ride, and Mike did a great job leading us to the grub... even with several aborted runs on gravel.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #14305
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 663
~20 miles short of Seneca Rocks

The plan: start Charlottesville, 20N, 33W, Seneca Rocks, 22/55 to Petersburg WV, 220S, 250E back to Cville.

On 33W, some light snow started coming down somewhere past Harrisonburg. Since it was coming out of isolated clouds there was this lovely sunshine + snow flakes thing going on. Until I hit Franklin -- the sky was looking like it might be a fair bit more grey past the next line of mountains. Unable to check the latest weather report on my phone, naturally I decided to press onward. When I crested that next line of mountains I saw this:

Gah! Since it was already good and chilly in the sunshine, I decided to save SR for another day. The drive down 220S had more of the sun + snow combo though, so all smiles.

For the trivia types:

Looks like the BBQ Exchange ride was a good time. Hope to make the next Q RTE!
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #14306
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Sorry I missed the ride and the 'Q. Unfortunately we're moving, so my weekend was filled with filling boxes and schlepping them out to the pod. (And ain't my back happy about it). Everytime I passed ole Max in the garage, I thought about you guys. He looked so lonely. LOL!

Next week's the actual move, so I will deserve some riding time after that!

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #14307
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
The plan: start Charlottesville, 20N, 33W, Seneca Rocks, 22/55 to Petersburg WV, 220S, 250E back to Cville.

On 33W, some light snow started coming down somewhere past Harrisonburg. Since it was coming out of isolated clouds there was this lovely sunshine + snow flakes thing going on. Until I hit Franklin -- the sky was looking like it might be a fair bit more grey past the next line of mountains. Unable to check the latest weather report on my phone, naturally I decided to press onward. When I crested that next line of mountains I saw this:

Gah! Since it was already good and chilly in the sunshine, I decided to save SR for another day. The drive down 220S had more of the sun + snow combo though, so all smiles.

For the trivia types:

Looks like the BBQ Exchange ride was a good time. Hope to make the next Q RTE!
Brenda,

Next time you stop to take a pic of a Historical marker make sure you get your motorcycle in the picture and you can add up your markers in this game on ADV: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...signs+virginia I got into it last year and the year before and had a good tally going.

I rode back from Gordonsville with Mitchub and we had scattered rain drops but no snow since it was hovering around 50 degrees.

j

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #14308
Wench On Wheels
RuckusRaisingRedhead

Oddometer: 81
Rode over to the swap meet in Chesterfield this morning..... got a few eyebrows raised at me for (I guess) my going to a HD-centric event on a BMW F800GS . From there..... picked misc roads less traveled..... blinked and nearly missed Howardsville..... wound up at Monticola..... sweet..... anybody ever been there? 4 hot coffees and 209 cold miles later..... home..... with an inexplicable hankering for BBQ.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #14309
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Brenda,

Next time you stop to take a pic of a Historical marker make sure you get your motorcycle in the picture and you can add up your markers in this game on ADV: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...signs+virginia I got into it last year and the year before and had a good tally going.

j
Re: the lack of glamour shots... yeah, I'm definitely not in the habit of lining the moto up nice and pretty for the camera yet.
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #14310
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,013
Here are the new wheels. Took quite a bit of driving today in an obnoxiously loud borrowed pickup. I eneded up using 36 gallons of fuel to drive to Delaware and back to pick it up.

2008 WR250R. I got it for a very good price but it needs a little cleanup and attention.

Has the following hop-up parts installed already:
47t rear superlite sprocket
Seat Concepts seat (stock cover/pad will go with bike)
1 1/8 Protaper KX high bend bars
GYTR 1 1/8 bar clamps
Sandman case saver and cover
Cycra bark busters
Moose Racing WR450F wide foot pegs
FMF Q4
FMF fuel programmer
Uni air filter
EXUP is gone, air box has been properly modded.
Go Race revalved rear shock
Eibach rear spring (stock spring will go with bike)
Doubletake Mirror
DRC Tail Light

It also came with pine needles and sand from the pine barrens of NJ. Needs to be cleaned up, a new chain and a good once over.

I did hose it off at the rental office. I noticed when riding back to my parking area, that kwet knobbies slide when you downshift and engine brake. I guess I'll have to learn more about all this dual sport stuff like knobbies and tubes. Also learned (twice) that it runs better if you remove the plug from the end of the exhaust.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote