ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #14731
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
You all have fun riding this weekend. I'm running the Monument Avenue 10K on Saturday. I'll catch up with you on the next one.
I hate you.

I loved running. Now I have 2 titanium knees. No running allowed. :-(
Old 03-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #14732
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,948
So guys where are we riding the little bikes this weekend? Eddy, you got suggestions? While the event Sunday looks like it could be fun, I'll wait until next time. I'd rather participate in a somewhat less organized type of riding for now.

So are we going west for trails, east for mud or just trying to put around here?
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:04 AM   #14733
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
So guys where are we riding the little bikes this weekend? Eddy, you got suggestions? While the event Sunday looks like it could be fun, I'll wait until next time. I'd rather participate in a somewhat less organized type of riding for now.

So are we going west for trails, east for mud or just trying to put around here?
How about meeting up Saturday morning around 9:00 at the WaWa on the light bikes and we ride as much local dirt as possible until early afternoon? Going west sounds like a lot of fun but I can't spend the whole day away on two wheels. I want to spend some time with the family since I'm leaving next week for RayHyde.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #14734
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 858
Weekend ride

You guys have a great time in the dirt this weekend but be careful. Mess up those clean bikes! Next month my schedule has some weekends off. I will be looking down.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #14735
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,351
BrendaP - thanks and PM sent

DIRTPEOPLE - you guys see the KTM 450EXC on CL? I've clicked on that ad a few times this mornin
Old 03-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #14736
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
How about meeting up Saturday morning around 9:00 at the WaWa on the light bikes and we ride as much local dirt as possible until early afternoon? Going west sounds like a lot of fun but I can't spend the whole day away on two wheels. I want to spend some time with the family since I'm leaving next week for RayHyde.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #14737
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 2,863
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
So, I dropped my bike off for the State inspection today at Complete Auto in Innsbrook. They actually failed me (rear brake pads... already picked up replacements.. no big deal.)

The funny part is that they never had a bike fail before. They had to call the state police to ask how/where to apply the rejection sticker. They used clear packing tape to affix it to my swing arm . I would have been annoyed with this but I had so much chain lube and grime on the swing arm the packing tape and the sticker already fell off. Oops.

Just curious as to why you chose them to inspect (other than proximity to home/work)..and Left it to be inspected.....car inspectors don't inspect well, and have'nt a clue on "normal" dimensions associated with pads on bikes....
I consitantly got inspections at Ken's Cycle, and also Richmond Superbike, If the inspector can't accomplish that list in 3 minutes, he better get a new job; It ain't like there is any "wheel removal" required like a car/truck to inspect brakes,and even they (RichSup-B) tried to tell me my front pads were "worn out".....I made them look closer, and held out the reciept for the pads I just bought from Murph's, which I installed the night before....DOH...
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #14738
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post
Just curious as to why you chose them to inspect (other than proximity to home/work)..and Left it to be inspected.....car inspectors don't inspect well, and have'nt a clue on "normal" dimensions associated with pads on bikes....
I consitantly got inspections at Ken's Cycle, and also Richmond Superbike, If the inspector can't accomplish that list in 3 minutes, he better get a new job; It ain't like there is any "wheel removal" required like a car/truck to inspect brakes,and even they (RichSup-B) tried to tell me my front pads were "worn out".....I made them look closer, and held out the reciept for the pads I just bought from Murph's, which I installed the night before....DOH...
It's all about proximity to work. I drop it off on my way in and just walk the two blocks to the office. They've always just passed it in the past and honestly, I've always assumed that they didn't really know what to look for. At least they don't try to hold sport-touring tires to passenger car tire tread depth standards. I've always suspected that they just counted the wheels and checked all the boxes.... guess not.

I didn't even peek at the pads after picking it up.. I suspect that after 30K miles they are likely worn.. I use the rear a lot for low speed maneuvering and rear pads simply aren't that robust.

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #14739
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
So, I dropped my bike off for the State inspection today at Complete Auto in Innsbrook. They actually failed me (rear brake pads... already picked up replacements.. no big deal.)

The funny part is that they never had a bike fail before. They had to call the state police to ask how/where to apply the rejection sticker. They used clear packing tape to affix it to my swing arm . I would have been annoyed with this but I had so much chain lube and grime on the swing arm the packing tape and the sticker already fell off. Oops.
I do the same, get mine inspected at car places, but I always stay with the bike, and BS with the inspector, and then always TIP, of course this is after the fact so it's not a bribe

PS: Hi Rich, miss ya, Coors Light RULES
COG 6517

tommyhof screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 08:36 AM
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #14740
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhof View Post
I do the same, get mine inspected at car places, but I always stay with the bike, and BS with the inspector, and then always TIP, of course this is after the fact so it's not a bribe

First: The SIlver Bullet?

Second: I'm glad you clarified that it's a tip POST inspection. I hear that the State PoPo is watching this thread.

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #14741
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I hate you.

I loved running. Now I have 2 titanium knees. No running allowed. :-(
titanium? that would be cheating!
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #14742
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
that's good for me.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #14743
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,351
I wear blinders when I'm at home.

Quote:
First: The SIlver Bullet?

Second: I'm glad you clarified that it's a tip POST inspection. I hear that the State PoPo is watching this thread.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #14744
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 2,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhof View Post
..it's not a bribe

It's a bit different up here, not having the local buzz of Va, just have to drop in to see what's up.....
Hoping to make a couple of rides this year, if things work out ok......might make DogDays, not sure about the others tho.....
Ride safe, tell the guys down @ the beach I said hey...
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #14745
MX_Andrew83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
What is going on guys, my name is Andrew and I am new to this forum. I have been riding motorcycles my entire life, and picked up a KLX250sf a couple of years ago, and I have been frequenting the the mountain roads since then. I also ride MX, however became a tad burned out with it, and I am stepping back for a while. I usually only ride with my only friend who has a rd bike other than myself, we try to mix it up with some trails and rd. riding. We are always looking for people to ride with, so it looks like I am going to have to keep an eye on this forum, and hopefully put together some rides.

Andrew

MX_Andrew83 is offline   Reply With Quote