ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #14776
Defaultgateway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Chester Ride

Had a blast, guys. I especially liked the water crossings and the "mini hill climb" up to the plateau area. Until next time...
Defaultgateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #14777
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I had to pass this along because our family knows many of the actors (some were friends with my son) in this clip. Reporter, Jon Ferguson (Randy West) has been a family friend since he and my daughters were kids in grade school together. He now teaches, and is their football coach at MBK. He was the major technical director of the film. We were fortunate that he, and the rest of the "gang" my daughters ran with there were straight-up good kids.

At any rate, enjoy.

Nice production, and glad to see my alma mater is still going strong!! I had lunch at Bella Italia with a fellow inmate; Ed Andews (Hunyak), this past Wednesday. Great food and no robbery...

Glad to see you guys had a good ride today. I spent the early am running the Monument Ave 10K...great race.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #14778
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,105
Good riding today! We did things today that I would NOT want do on the GS! The water crossings, mud, sand and banked berms were great! I can't wait to get everyone else out there for some fun! Thanks again to Danny for showing us such an awesome place 10 minutes from my garage! As the sun stays out longer, this will be an option after work on weekdays!

General observations regarding the TW, which has earned the title "The Baby Warthog" by being ugly, having big feet, being short and good at running in the woods. Kinda like me.
1. On the road, it feels like it should have a Fisher Price sticker on the fuel tank.
2. 4th gear comes BEFORE 25 mph, I tried to click into a 6th gear that doesn't exist at least 50 times!
3. HUGE feet on a tiny bike make it unbelievably stable in deep mud and sand.
4. It's brakes (or lack of) make 55 mph scary, not because it's unstable, but because I really don't think I would be able to stop if something suddenly got in my way!
5. She's a blast under 45 mph!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #14779
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,029
I managed to get a little motivated this afternoon and swapped out my back tire for a new shinko 700. The kenda 761 that was on there was great this morning but gets eaten up very badly by the road and I just don't want to worry about it. I was interrupted by a thunderstorm and hail when I was almost done. Kind of crossed my fingers the bike wouldn't blow off the stand. Lucky for me it was over quickly and I finished mounting and balancing that tire. I swear my next place will have a garage or large shed. I'm tired of working in the parking lot. That was my first tire swap that involved a tube or a rim lock. Both made it even less fun than normal.

Still didn't swap to the 13 tooth front sprocket, lower the suspension in the rear or adjust the fmf programmer like I wanted.

Either way though, I am good for going riding tomorrow if anyone wants to go (street or easy trails). I have both the WR and the dl650 although the dl hasn't been getting much loving recently. So I would prefer to take it. If nobody is riding, then I'll stay home wrenching..

Eddy, I had a blast this morning too. The warthog looked like it handled great. I saw you popping the front wheel up pretty easily. Next time, though I'm wearing the mesh gear. The stitch stays comfortable on the street when your moving but if you are stopped or off-road it turns into a sauna.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #14780
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,495
Yeah that was fun guys, have to do it again soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Does anyone know if Dan was able to get his bike started and get home from Wawa?...
I just got home from Wawa.. had to push my bike 5 miles uphill in the rain wearing mx boots.. Thanks for checking in..

No, don't you worry my Chester brothers - Lance and Steve, whom I just met, hung with me til I got it running and even followed me home.

Bike would start and idle, but any throttle would kill it. Suddenly symptom disappeared and I rode it home like nothing ever happened.. Very similar to the other week in the mountains. Feel like it's a fueling problem. Maybe piece of crud in my carb or vacuum petcock starting to crap out.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #14781
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,105

Danny, I feel awful! We went to the car wash to rinse off the mud chunks and thought that you guys were just hanging out talking! Please call my cell next time if that ever happens again! I could have been there with my truck, ramp, wheel chock and tie downs in 15 minutes!

Damn, that was SO Chester of us to ditch you...Beer is on me next time we go out.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #14782
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Yeah that was fun guys, have to do it again soon.

I just got home from Wawa.. had to push my bike 5 miles uphill in the rain wearing mx boots.. Thanks for checking in..

No, don't you worry my Chester brothers - Lance and Steve, whom I just met, hung with me til I got it running and even followed me home.

Bike would start and idle, but any throttle would kill it. Suddenly symptom disappeared and I rode it home like nothing ever happened.. Very similar to the other week in the mountains. Feel like it's a fueling problem. Maybe piece of crud in my carb or vacuum petcock starting to crap out.
I didn't figure Eddy or I could give you a ride home. I don't have passenger pegs and 2up on the tw would just be wrong. I didn't see you were still at the wawa until after we passed the entrance. Saw the other two guys were the with you, so figured you would be OK.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #14783
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post

Danny, I feel awful! We went to the car wash to rinse off the mud chunks and thought that you guys were just hanging out talking! Please call my cell next time if that ever happens again! I could have been there with my truck, ramp, wheel chock and tie downs in 15 minutes!

Damn, that was SO Chester of us to ditch you...Beer is on me next time we go out.
. I'm just kidding man! I have a truck and live closer than anybody. Could've called my son and had him there in < 5 min with it.

Ill still take that beer.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #14784
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Ok....here is what happens when you take apart an engine...re-assemble to the best of your ability and FAIL
I'm pretty sure I know where I messed up...cam timing....the manual was clear but I over looked some tell tail signs...
At least I have something constructive to do tomorrow besides mow the lawn or ride

ps - there is no choke so a few twists from the Edelbrock pumper is the way to cold start....

Old 04-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #14785
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,675
It runs after you actually put the cam chain on to the lower sprocket

Now it has another problem...can you hear it?
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #14786
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:

Aren't Hondas supposed to sound like that? J/k

Actually I'm glad to see someone brave enough to work on their own bike. Keep at it. You'll get it right.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #14787
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,181
Quote:

Maybe a sticking valve?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #14788
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Maybe a sticking valve?
yeah that aint right. sure your marks were lined up, maybe it's a tooth off between cam/crank sprockets?
Old 04-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #14789
ddlewis
squirrel

Pic from yesterdays mini adventure.
This is before Eddie/Jeremy left me for dead. (I'm going to keep taking shots until I get my beer.. )

The Beast lives to cut another year. Thanks to Guy for welding up my broken deck yoke, making a 43rd grass cutting season possible..
Old 04-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #14790
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Pic from yesterdays mini adventure.
This is before Eddie/Jeremy left me for dead. (I'm going to keep taking shots until I get my beer.. )

The Beast lives to cut another year. Thanks to Guy for welding up my broken deck yoke, making a 43rd grass cutting season possible..

My apologies for not splashing on some of that spiffy Deere yellow paint. Didn't have any.