User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
johnnyc14 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Honda CL450 resto

Well, I have a couple of weeks off and decided to get at my CL450 resto project. I've been collecting parts for 2 years now and I think I have 90% of what I need. Here's some pics.

Frame bead blasted and painted with epoxy paint

Engine on the Stand, note the oily left exhaust port

Cylinders are pretty worn out but I have o/s pistons and rings.

Crank and trans are like new.

Lots of spooge in the sump, taking these parts to work for cleaning in the Storm King.

Big pile of parts

I hope to be riding this in the spring
johnnyc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
CZRIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Nice!!! Love those old Hondas!!!!
CZRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
MNellis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
That looks great just the way it is. After I'm done with my '68 CL350 I'd like to pick up a CL 450 as well.

Nice bike.
MNellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:57 AM   #4
johnnyc14 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys, the biggest reason I took it apart was the sick engine, low compression on the left cylinder. Then I got the bug and decided to go through the whole bike.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
I remember test riding the first 450 that came into So Cal when I was in high school. It was a CB and thought it was huge compared to my CB160, it was. The CL was so much nicer looking, CB tank was ugly! Nice bike.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
AlfromMI
Long distance nut

Oddometer: 126
My first big bike was a 1968 CL450 that I bought brand new. I really liked that bike, I still think it is a very good looking motor. Way back then, a 450 was a big bike, nowadays, it's a tiny starter bike.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
johnnyc14 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I got the cases split and took the parts to work and put them in the Storm King parts washer to get all the spooge off them. They are clean now but still look like 40 year old aluminum si I decided to paint them. I used Duplicolor engine enamel in Aluminum color as recommended by some folks on the Hondatwins site.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,523
Nice project.... by far one of the best to come out of Japan

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:44 AM   #9
johnnyc14 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got to spend some time out in the garage today. I had repair the chain guard that had some cracks.

First I enlarged the cracks with my disc grinder and a 1/8" cutting disc.

Then I mig welded the grooves closed.

Then a little grinding and sanding, it looks like new again. At least it will after a couple of coats of paint.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #10
johnnyc14 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got the frame mounted on my bike lift ready to start some assembly.

The previous owner had taken a hammer to the brake pedal for some reason and it looked very rough. I would like to stick with the CL brake pedal just because it's different. Even though I have a really nice CB pedal I decided to try to fix the CL one. It's hard to see in the pic but the shaft bore in the pedal was pounded so the shaft would not go through and the shaft itself was also very beat up. The shaft measures 19mm so I took a piece of 3/4" electric motor drive shaft I had and used it as my new pivot shaft. I used a 19/64" drill bit and my drill press to restore the bore in the pedal. This provide 1/64" clearance between the new shaft and the pedal bore.

I cut the shaft to length and drilled a hole for a cotter pin in one end and welded a washer to the other to act as a shoulder for the brake pedal.

I also made up a pedal stop with a rubber bumper so the pedal will not clank into the frame when released. I glued the rubber bumper to the nut with grip glue.

A little more bead blasting and paint and I can mount this stuff on the bike.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:50 AM   #11
johnnyc14 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I disassembled the forks and cleaned out all the sludge and replaced the seals. Filled them with 150cc of 10wt fork oil in each leg. I polished up the lowers and then reassembled. I got the triple clamps mounted and installed the forks and headlamp ears.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:30 AM   #12
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,215

Good Stuff, keep it coming.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
johnnyc14 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I've made some more progress. I got the front wheel cleaned up and mounted.

The brake pedal and center stand are now finished and mounted.

I used a "plastic nail" typed trim fastener and a rubber washer as a center stand stop and the old part was MIA.

The swing arm bushings and felt packing rings arrived at the Honda dealer and I got that stuff installed.

Up here in Alberta it's been a cold dry December, -20 C or colder all month. When it get like this and you work with your hands alot you get the dreaded and amazingly painful finger tip skin cracks. A great remedy to relieve the pain is to fill the crack with Crazy Glue. As soon as you apply the glue and it hardens the pain is gone! Here's one of the many I'm sporting right now after a week of working on the bike.

I got the speedo and tach sanded and repainted but the faces are quite faded. I keep seeing NOS ones on ebay but I can't see spending $350.00 for them.

My front fender has a big crack in it and I've been looking for a good one on ebay but good ones seem hard to find. There is a motorcycle wrecking yard near by and I'm going to take a trip out there to see what they have.

The pile of grungy parts is slowly being replaced with clean refinished ones, gotta like that!

Old 01-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
MNellis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc14
Well, I've made some more progress. I got the front wheel cleaned up and mounted.

Nice job on the front wheel. The spokes look great. What sort of condition were they in originally? Did you disassemble the front rim to clean the hub and spokes?

Eventually I'd like to disassemble the front and rear wheel on my '68 CL 350 project. It currently looks like this

Keep the details coming, it's a big help to me in my project. BTW, nice job on the brake pedal/shaft fix.
MNellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
Dabears
--------------------

Oddometer: 548
Can you share the steps you followed to cleanup and polish the lower fork legs? They came out really nice, and since I have some to do myself I'd like to hear from someone who's already done it successfully. Thanks
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote