Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #61
Thoran
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hi ambraa, I'm thinking about doing the same FI conversion to my DR800 as you have, but i still have some questions;

For the coolant sensor you used a normal coolant sensor in one of the valve covers, doesn't the temperature beneath the cover (the splash from the oil) exceed the measuring range for the sensor? (Most i've seen measure till ~140C)

Also, as you've had the opportunity to ride it for about 2 years now, are there any big problems or improvements that you have found?
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #62
ambraa OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoran View Post
Hi ambraa, I'm thinking about doing the same FI conversion to my DR800 as you have, but i still have some questions;

For the coolant sensor you used a normal coolant sensor in one of the valve covers, doesn't the temperature beneath the cover (the splash from the oil) exceed the measuring range for the sensor? (Most i've seen measure till ~140C)

Also, as you've had the opportunity to ride it for about 2 years now, are there any big problems or improvements that you have found?

Hi Thoran
I used a generic npt temp sensor. It is just the small electronic part that is inside f.e a coolant sensor and you can get one from an electronic parts dealer. (Farnell, Digi Key ++) I then placed/epoxied it in a brass bolt that I made and threaded in to the valve adjustment cover. (I shamelessly copied the setup from ducati...) This way you have enough space between sensor and frame and you don't have to weld a bung to the cover, Also the ordinary coolant sensor (GM type) is too big and would interfer both with the rockers and the frame. I don't remember the highest temrature but this is not so important because you can calibrate the temp table in Tunerstudio to suit the temp range from the sensor.

I did ride it for one (short) season, mostly tuning it. During that time it never stopped and ran fine, but the charging system is pushed to the limit. I changed all bulbs exept the headlight to LEDs to reduce the load.
I had a lot of fun doing this, but the learning curve is steep, so be prepared for some long hours and frustration too:-)
ambraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #63
Thoran
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambraa View Post
Hi Thoran
I used a generic npt temp sensor. It is just the small electronic part that is inside f.e a coolant sensor and you can get one from an electronic parts dealer. (Farnell, Digi Key ++) I then placed/epoxied it in a brass bolt that I made and threaded in to the valve adjustment cover. (I shamelessly copied the setup from ducati...) This way you have enough space between sensor and frame and you don't have to weld a bung to the cover, Also the ordinary coolant sensor (GM type) is too big and would interfer both with the rockers and the frame. I don't remember the highest temrature but this is not so important because you can calibrate the temp table in Tunerstudio to suit the temp range from the sensor.

I did ride it for one (short) season, mostly tuning it. During that time it never stopped and ran fine, but the charging system is pushed to the limit. I changed all bulbs exept the headlight to LEDs to reduce the load.
I had a lot of fun doing this, but the learning curve is steep, so be prepared for some long hours and frustration too:-)
So if I find a way to optimize my power output I should be fine riding it whenever I want?
So far I've got an ECU (KdFI) and a fuel pump (GSX-R 750/1000 K1), so I've not progressed very far yet.

Why did you stop riding yours, if I may ask?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #64
ambraa OP
Adventurer

Quote:
So if I find a way to optimize my power output I should be fine riding it whenever I want?
So far I've got an ECU (KdFI) and a fuel pump (GSX-R 750/1000 K1), so I've not progressed very far yet.

Why did you stop riding yours, if I may ask?
Yes, but I think you should try without any modification first to see if the injection system is working and then deal with the power output....if it is a problem.

The bike turned out to be too impractical so I started to build it back to an offroad bike. Almost finished, but have too many other projects/too little time so not done yet. Hope to have it ready sometime in the summer.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #65
Thoran
Adventurer

Heya Ambraa,

I've just received my GSX-R600 TB's and I've begun disassembling them, but during the disassembly I wondered, how did you regulate the airflow for high-idle (like choke on a carburetor bike) on your bike?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #66
ambraa OP
Adventurer

High idle

Quote:
Heya Ambraa,

I've just received my GSX-R600 TB's and I've begun disassembling them, but during the disassembly I wondered, how did you regulate the airflow for high-idle (like choke on a carburetor bike) on your bike?
That is a good start:-)
At first I used no high-idle (would fire up ok, but will die if you don't give it a little extra throttle), but now I have made a little lever that i slide in between the idle adjustment screw and the "arm" on the side of the TB's. Not an elegant solution, but ti will do the job until I can find an air valve from a different bike.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #67
Thoran
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambraa View Post
That is a good start:-)
At first I used no high-idle (would fire up ok, but will die if you don't give it a little extra throttle), but now I have made a little lever that i slide in between the idle adjustment screw and the "arm" on the side of the TB's. Not an elegant solution, but ti will do the job until I can find an air valve from a different bike.
I think i'm gonna try to fit the small wedgelike part on the GSX gascableholder to my choke-cable.

By the way, would you be willing to share your mappingdata? I could use a good start-off point for my BIG ;)
Old 04-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #68
MrPopples
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Marvelous :)
I was looking into buying a Microsquirt ... I was thinking I would be the only crazy one around ... but not at all, there's plenty of crazy people here

Thanks for all these info, very interesting.

would you recommand using the megasquirt for developpment and putting the microsquirt in place once all is done? are the two versions plug&play?
MrPopples is offline   Reply With Quote